Woods to leave Bulldogs for Sharks immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
2018 FA List

Players that would cost anywhere between 400-500k :

Isaako, Sua, Seggy, Junior Tatola, Ah Mau.

All players that would be half of what we were paying him who will contribute substantially more than that bum.
First 2 would be a greeat start. Cant see it happening though.

Raikkonen

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Who is next?

Tolman has flown "under the radar" this season.

Top priority would have to be Foran & Lichaa out.

Woods is a good player but his price means we aren't getting value for money. Ultimately I can understand the decision to move him on but it is dissapointing as he does bring a different skill set to the team.
Don’t forget Eastwood

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'd like us to spend as much of the Mbye/Woods money on Pangai Jnr. I know we have park footy players playing at every spine position, but we missed out on all of the great fullback and halves options in previous years because of genius Des.

But this year's batch of spine players is average and Tevita is the best player on the market in my opinion and could be a Taumalolo type talent in another year or so with a bigger role. I think Bennett is criminally underutilising him.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'd like us to spend as much of the Mbye/Woods money on Pangai Jnr. I know we have park footy players playing at every spine position, but we missed out on all of the great fullback and halves options in previous years because of genius Des.

But this year's batch of spine players is average and Tevita is the best player on the market in my opinion and could be a Taumalolo type talent in another year or so with a bigger role. I think Bennett is criminally underutilising him.
I think Isaako could be a decent FB also, if we could get him at a decent price, but like I said, cant see him leaving Broncs.

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
So we pay 500k for Dragons to take Graham, also contributing 250k-ish for Kasiano, we then go out out and replace these 2 with Woods on 800k and Priest on fuck knows what so effectively woods has cost $1.55m out of cap and add Priests wage on top of that.

Lets further compound this fuck up by moving on Woods while paying 300k of his salary.

There are fuck all quality props on the market further inflating their worth.

Its been rumoured that we will save 500k a season, if we cant sign another prop on significantly less then 500k that will also add some value there is actually no point in releasing Woods.

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
The kennel is going to need a new scapegoat now, who is going to step up to the plate? tolman or lichaa? :laughing:

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
So we pay 500k for Dragons to take Graham, also contributing 250k-ish for Kasiano, we then go out out and replace these 2 with Woods on 800k and Priest on fuck knows what so effectively woods has cost $1.55m out of cap and add Priests wage on top of that.

Lets further compound this fuck up by moving on Woods while paying 300k of his salary.

There are fuck all quality props on the market further inflating their worth.

Its been rumoured that we will save 500k a season, if we cant sign another prop on significantly less then 500k that will also add some value there is actually no point in releasing Woods.
All of that was well said and I completely agree, it's staggering the way things have unfolded, but I think they had to move Woods while they could. That's how bad the mess was from Dib and Hasler. It was catastrophic.

I doubt the club had more than three other players other clubs would even consider taking off our hands. I don't think this year we'd pay more than 200k but from then on we'd pay nothing. I'm just speculating but considering how long the negotiations dragged on for, you'd think we weren't budging about having to pay too much freight and considering Woods took a pay cut.

Forget what we pay this year and this season is obviously a completely write off... If Mbye and Woods were on a combined $1.5 million next season then that's massive to be able to play around with. Especially considering neither were playing close to their worth or potential...

Obviously Foran is key to complete the overhaul, but he's a complete millstone around our neck as he's the worst signing in Rugby League history potentially.

People I know that have worked with Hill all say he's the perfect guy to get us out of this mess. Whether he is or not will be judged by the signings to come but so far I think he's done the best he could with the hand he's been dealt.

RichoDog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Klemmer & Jackson must be on a shitloads going by what Woods & Mbye we’re getting, otherwise how can such a shit group be anywhere near the top of the cap.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Consensus is he was not popular but we are an even weaker team without him. What must he think of us... he signed in good faith and almost immediately our stupid Club realised we are somehow over the Cap... so we shop him around. He would have been aware of this early on. What an incentive to play for us.

Here's what I struggle to comprehend : how can we be over the Cap with the squad we have ? We will be really lucky not to get the Spoon this year and in the next few years.
Why are people continuing to say they cant believe that we are over the cap?? We are not over the cap. We were not over the cap even before mbye left. The point now is that we are way under the cap, and if we can fuck foran off as well then klem and jackp will be our highest paid players at about 600k. Unless of course theyre on back ended deals. But this is about what they signed for.
This means we can be super agressive in the player market, and likely hold on to the morris boys if necessary.
Either way we wont be paying massive vers for any duds and our top 30 squad will not be massively unbalanced!
My bad, i forgot tolman will be our highest paid player.

Last edited:

Hot Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
From the club now

Bulldogs prop Aaron Woods will leave Belmore this week to take up a contract with the Sharks.

The decision has come before the June 30th deadline in order for Woods to be eligible to join the Sharks this season.

Bulldogs Chief Executive Andrew Hill explained why the move had taken place at this time:

"The Bulldogs and Aaron have decided that now is the right time for this move to happen. It is a difficult decision for both parties, however, both Aaron and the club believe it is in their best interests for this to happen now. What it does allow is for Aaron to join his new club before the upcoming deadline and for the Bulldogs to be able to start to plan for the future with additional cap space. It has been well documented that we have had very little flexibility with our cap going forward and this will now allow us to look to the future with increased flexibility around our options.

We wish Aaron all the very best for the future."

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
fairy fuck, thank fuck for that

dogbone

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The thing to remember now is that the new management have already put structures in place to make sure the big money will be spent on the critical playing positions. No longer will we see bench players like Tony Williams, Sam Kasiano & Greg Eastwood getting big bucks. That is reserved for the 1, 6, 7 & 9.

Moving on from the mess we are in now, because there is no real playmaking talent on the open market we should be looking for good value, hard-workers that can fill a role as well as guys with real potential.

Other than that we need to do what we can to save our money for a real crack at talent for 2020. There is no quick fix and no knight in shining armour to come in and save us but Pay does have a team that regularly puts in and defends well. That is a bloody good place to start from when you are talking about a rebuild. It's not like we get lapped every week by 20+ points.

Status
Not open for further replies.