Chris Anderson getting involved

Status
Not open for further replies.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
With the pros also come the cons though.

As a player manager or a player, you would have zero confidence signing with the Bulldogs that your contract is going to be honoured or seen through to the end.

Much like the current playing group you'd be forever thinking in the back of your head "Am I going to be next to be told I'm moving on".

Particularly for young talent (which is who we are after) this could be a real problem...

Sign a "2 year" contract with the Bulldogs, or sign a 2 Year fixed contract with the Roosters with a guaranteed promotional to the next grade should you perform, AND a brand new car. I know what I'd chose.

Ahh gotcha..
Totally disagree. All clubs move players on before their contracts are up. Happens all the time!! In any case they still get their contract money. Remember we are still paying Graham??? Etc etc.
Football is a business, so if your night performing to the level your rediculous pay packet demands, then see ya later.
Football players have it made. They earn really good money to play sport fo fucks sake. No room for bitches in this game. Suck it up and do what your paid to do. If not expect to be moved on. Plain and simple.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Tear'em a new one Chris!!! Who ever doesn't like it simply show'em the door. This is a business, the players are getting paid plenty of money. When I think back to last weeks game against the Titans, ordinary, pathetic comes to mind. A bit of honesty between the playing group and the coaching staff wouldn't go astray, honest feed back!!!! You didn't cover for me, you didn't support me. you didn't do this, you didn't do that, WHY??? Who ever doesn't want to be a Bulldog, who ever doesn't want to wear our colors and jersey with pride, we don't want you here, Sayonara GOOD BYE. That's the way it should be!!!! We have to be ruthless, rugby league is a ruthless game, we must recruit players that want to work hard, that want to be here. If our current roster don't want to do it then don't be here. I think those questions need to be asked and answered. That is why I back Chris Anderson and the new board to the hilt. It's time to through out the garbage no matter the name or reputation.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A lot of common sense in that post Wendog. Very refreshing after reading all the other dribble and speculation. The board with less than two years to go until the next election are in a position of you’re damned if you do and damned if you don’t.

Speaking to one of the football club directors the other night at the club, the amount of work they are doing around the clock is immense. They deserve a pat on the back. I can assure you this board has the club’s best interest first. Exciting things ahead. If they keep pulling the right strings they will definitely be getting my vote.
Hey dog you give me faith and confidence that the club is heading in the right direction
It’s nice to hear it from somebody who has a personal connection to a director
I know it’s going to be a rocky road but at the end our club will reign supreme
Urging all Kennel crazies and fans to stick solid as a united Group.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be insane!!! We’ve just gone through hurricane Hasler & you want to put us through cyclone Bennett!
It took the Dragons 5 seasons to recover from Bennett’s destruction & need I say more about the Knight’s experience under Bennett
Mate if you had some brains you would know that we have trouble attracting and keeping good players hence we have had to pay overs both to attract and keep players. Bennett as a coaching directer which is what I've stated would be able to attract players better than most a bit like Gould who like Bennett has a profile. Perhaps like Hassler Bennett has also won comps by backending player contracts, and leaving someone else to clean up the mess. My thoughts was for Bennett to work with both Chris and Pay without having all the say in whom to sign and what to pay players, Chris and our board would never allow back ended contracts after whats happened to our club. BTW what happened at Newcastle had more to do with Tinkler than Bennett, and if you had half a brain you would know that too.

Nakidog

Waterboy
Reaction score
I have faith in those in charge of the rebuild and I'm a firm believer in re-building the club from the foundations (juniors) up. I know Des was more focussed on a top down approach and I can understand (but don't agree with the approach).

I had a good read of Price's book at the time Des was sacked and how he spoke of the club in his time and the such positive influence guys like Bullfrog, Chris Anderson, Dean Pay and the likes had on his career and through his era that I live in hope that the current people running the club know best how to govern structure and run the club best.

I am not prepared to judge Pay until 2020 results, as with the problems he has inherited he won't have HIS squad until 2020 or there about.

My father is a professional union coach of a super 15 side in NZ and I understand the whole salary cap workings and the inner workings of what goes on behind the scenes (although nz rugby is well behind in terms of salary cap management). We as fans without inside knowledge often don't know the real reason behind decisions made (unless we have an inside source).

I believe we need to trust our people running our club and the values they are trying to instil to bring the great family club back to our former glory days.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
That is exactly right.

Based on Chris Andersons experience rebuilding our club back in 1991 and winning premiership in 95 and to come into the Storm in 98 and win Premiership in 99 shows he has the know how to rebuild this club. I know things have changed in a sense from then till now but the principles are still the same, and some people have a better eye for talent and what the club needs. Only reason i am confident we will get back to being a mighty club once again. He is a very shrewd operator and tells it as it is and hence gets people offside. We need someone who isnt going to bow down to players and bring toughness back to the club and who will toe the line.
Players back in the 80s and 90s were shit scared of Peter Moore and what repercussions would be if they fucked up but at same time they had so much respect for him because of the way he brought everyone together.
Totally agree mate ,hes the right man for the job and has done it before,what he did at the storm gives me confidence in our future

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Agree. Des had a thing for Foran that blinded him, but all coaches have at least one pet player they just have to protect don't they. Look at Bennett and Boyd. Another example. The important thing is they work together to do what is needed otherwise we all lose. I don't even care that a few players noses are out of joint at the moment, but I do care if it is just because some people are doing it just because they can rather than because we need to.
That is true. However, Des' love for Foran has costed us players like Maloney who would have been an very good asset to us and would have one part of halves problem and our goal kicking problems as he is a very good goal kicker. I am confident this board will do everything in there power to ensure we are competitive and challenge for the title by 2020-2021/2022.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
That is true. However, Des' love for Foran has costed us players like Maloney who would have been an very good asset to us and would have one part of halves problem and our goal kicking problems as he is a very good goal kicker. I am confident this board will do everything in there power to ensure we are competitive and challenge for the title by 2020-2021/2022.
Of course they will. Most of them have bled for the club over many years, but having the right intentions and the right execution need to be balanced if you want the right results. No matter how good you are or well intentioned you may be there is always someone better than you either right in front of you or nearby. I just hope in trying to do the right thing they don't ignore the ones who can do the job even better.

Steve M

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Bennet is the best person to get us on the right track, it is obvious that the Broncos don't want him any more. I'd take him as coaching directer immediately, however I think his time as stand alone coach has passed. He is the type of person who doesn't get fazed by anyone and I believe that the player's he has coached have all respected him.
Except Tallis

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Mate if you had some brains you would know that we have trouble attracting and keeping good players hence we have had to pay overs both to attract and keep players. Bennett as a coaching directer which is what I've stated would be able to attract players better than most a bit like Gould who like Bennett has a profile. Perhaps like Hassler Bennett has also won comps by backending player contracts, and leaving someone else to clean up the mess. My thoughts was for Bennett to work with both Chris and Pay without having all the say in whom to sign and what to pay players, Chris and our board would never allow back ended contracts after whats happened to our club. BTW what happened at Newcastle had more to do with Tinkler than Bennett, and if you had half a brain you would know that too.
To be fair I don’t think Wayne’s strength has been building a team he has coached at the Broncos where he had basically an unlimited salary cap followed by going to the Dragons. Nathan Brown left him with a very healthy squad and to Bennett’s credit he did bring in some players to take them to the next level but most of that sqaud was Browns. We all know what happened at Newcastle aswell. After handing the keys to Des it’s a risk to give it to Bennett in this type of role.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
To be fair I don’t think Wayne’s strength has been building a team he has coached at the Broncos where he had basically an unlimited salary cap followed by going to the Dragons. Nathan Brown left him with a very healthy squad and to Bennett’s credit he did bring in some players to take them to the next level but most of that sqaud was Browns. We all know what happened at Newcastle aswell. After handing the keys to Des it’s a risk to give it to Bennett in this type of role.
It is no secret that our club has had trouble attracting players, just thought that some involvement by Bennett would contribute to attracting particularly QLD payers, I was not suggesting him taking over as head coach.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
It is no secret that our club has had trouble attracting players, just thought that some involvement by Bennett would contribute to attracting particularly QLD payers, I was not suggesting him taking over as head coach.
I guess I’m just gun shy about getting someone involved in the club again that has his roots elsewhere and is only coming for money as his motivating factor.

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I guess I’m just gun shy about getting someone involved in the club again that has his roots elsewhere and is only coming for money as his motivating factor.
Indiandog has all his roots elsewhere and only cums for money

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The big problem is that Warren got the deal in with Keebra Park, after Broncos associated with them. So we got to "pick at the carcass" on that one, resulting in all the really good up and comers going to Broncos.

Peter Mullholland and John Ackland are the two we should never have lost.

Mulholland - 2003-2005 at Panthers (helped assemble their 2003 premiership winning team), 2008-2010 at Bulldogs, 2011-2013 with Knights, 2014-2015 with Dragons, 2016-Present with Raiders.
Ackland - Discovered SBW and Asotasi.

How's this for an interesting bit of information... both Hasler and Anderson have the same number of premierships as coaches!

CHRIS ANDERSON
Premierships as coach: 1995 (Dogs), 1999 (Storm).

DES HASLER
Premierships as coach: 2008 (Manly), 2011 (Manly).
Anderson won the 1987 Challenge Cup in England with Halifax as coach too.

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kelpie you’ve the IQ of a turd!
Mate if you knew the current setup at the club & had just an inkling of a clue, you’d know Andrew Farrar role as Football manager is coaching director by another name. FYI Bennett spent the money the roster(Boyd,Smith,Mason,Scott, Gower, Faalogo etc)not Tinkler. You knucklehead!!!
NEWSFLASH!!!!!Bennett right now wouldn’t attract a single talent, he’s on the nose - he’s past it may as well get Hasler as coaching director if that’s the direct you want to head in.
So you want the club to fall further into the abyss????? Moronic & imbecilic suggestion

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kelpie you’ve the IQ of a turd!
Mate if you knew the current setup at the club & had just an inkling of a clue, you’d know Andrew Farrar role as Football manager is coaching director by another name. FYI Bennett spent the money the roster(Boyd,Smith,Mason,Scott, Gower, Faalogo etc)not Tinkler. You knucklehead!!!
NEWSFLASH!!!!!Bennett right now wouldn’t attract a single talent, he’s on the nose - he’s past it may as well get Hasler as coaching director if that’s the direct you want to head in.
So you want the club to fall further into the abyss????? Moronic & imbecilic suggestion
Mate you have appropriately named yourself Sweet FA, because you have exactly SweetFA between the years, if you had a brain even a small one you would see, even without been told like I was, that Des and the old board had to pay overs both to sign and retainer players and that had a lot to do with the mess our club finds itself in at present. To sign establish players of any quality the current board would also have to pay overs.
No way have I ever said that Bennett should replace any of our current staff, but because it looks like he is been kicked out of the broncos if he was given some role at the club I'm sure he could bring over both some proven as well as some up and coming talent from the Broncos they do have plenty of it.

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mate you have appropriately named yourself Sweet FA, because you have exactly SweetFA between the years, if you had a brain even a small one you would see, even without been told like I was, that Des and the old board had to pay overs both to sign and retainer players and that had a lot to do with the mess our club finds itself in at present. To sign establish players of any quality the current board would also have to pay overs.
No way have I ever said that Bennett should replace any of our current staff, but because it looks like he is been kicked out of the broncos if he was given some role at the club I'm sure he could bring over both some proven as well as some up and coming talent from the Broncos they do have plenty of it.
Des & the old board didn’t pay overs for players !because no established nrl player wanted to ruin his career under Des at the Dogs-FACT we were the laughing stock with players & player managers from 2015-2017.
The only reason we are in this mess is Des was allowed (by condition of his contract) to control player signings, as a consequence there were no checks or balances and Des rewarded players loyal to his system.(Tolman, Eastwood, Morris twins, Hopoate, Elliott, Holland to name but a few with the now maligned backended deals) which in taxation law is actually illegal “watch this space”
That’s why we’re in the current mess & will be over the next 2 seasons as fringe players/ junior development was nonexistent under Des; there was nothing Raelene or Dib could do about it other than put a positive spin on the situation.
You want Bennett to have a role at club? Before you wipe that egg off your face figure out why the Broncos on field performances are so erratic this season & why so many of their squad are holding off negotiations until a decision is made on their coach is for next season- if he’s still there there will be some Broncos on the market (eg Pangai jr & Isaako)- unfortunately he’s yesterday’s hero & won’t bring anything

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.