How the bulldogs can turn it around in 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horny Wog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We need to go after Coote ASAP!
Coote could be a value for money signing for a couple of years if the price is right.

Considering Cowboys re-signed him for $1m over 2 years, his current value has dropped.

Looks like Cowboys want to move in another direction and you would think the only clubs who would have a look at Coote are the Dogs, Parra & maybe Titans(Gordon still under contract there?)

Reactions: Izy

jasonsmith11

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
no coote for mine, hes too nice we need nut cases like inu and ennis who really care

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We need to be patient and not just throw money around to anyone who is available. For example, free up $1.2m and make an offer to Ponga. Remember the salary cap goes up in 2022 to $10m. In 2021 his off contract. This is a worthwhile signing dollar wise and does not compare to a Woods and Foran signing. This guy is going to be a superstar.
This is just an example, we need top calibre players, not fill-ins that are past their best

Horny Wog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We need to be patient and not just throw money around to anyone who is available. For example, free up $1.2m and make an offer to Ponga. Remember the salary cap goes up in 2022 to $10m. In 2021 his off contract. This is a worthwhile signing dollar wise and does not compare to a Woods and Foran signing. This guy is going to be a superstar.
This is just an example, we need top calibre players, not fill-ins that are past their best
You do realise thats 4 years away?

Packstar

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He was 100 percent doing brown bags !! And fucked the club in the process. Dib was paying Woods under the table which got him over here. Tigers offered the same on the books money as we did but not the brown bag. Woods is cut now cause he know isn’t getting the extra $$ and could of stayed at the tigers
lol...ok

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Why Coote when we could make a play for Gideon Gela-Mosby ? That would allow someone like Bmoz or Hoppa to shift to fullback.

I have a bad feeling Pay is going to persist with Holland/BMoz/Hoppa at fullback for the year.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Comment that stood out for me was "Lichaa is on too much money to play reserve grade".
How much is he on??

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Comment that stood out for me was "Lichaa is on too much money to play reserve grade".
How much is he on??
Rumour was he signed on bare minimum for this year and is getting back ended deal for next. So if they were going to give him 300k per year, he only got 100k this year.....
I hope its not true that he'll be taking 500k next year.... surely not

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Why Coote when we could make a play for Gideon Gela-Mosby ? That would allow someone like Bmoz or Hoppa to shift to fullback.

I have a bad feeling Pay is going to persist with Holland/BMoz/Hoppa at fullback for the year.

He will... Unless we get Meaney.

I hope the club is trying to work on Bevan French.... Would love a Bevan French... We need a magician of a FB.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
French would be half that and is close to a Ponga... Money saved you can buy another cracker player too.

Also don't forget Ponga is in his first yr... He will eventually get found out and coaches will play to his weaknesses sooner or later.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Coote has apparently been asking for big money. $600k or $700k a year. At his age he is not worth that.
It would put us in a similar position as we are now.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Rumour was he signed on bare minimum for this year and is getting back ended deal for next. So if they were going to give him 300k per year, he only got 100k this year.....
I hope its not true that he'll be taking 500k next year.... surely not
Fuck no!!!!!

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You do realise thats 4 years away?
As I said its just an example and if any player of similar calibre we should go for and not players that will only be here for a couple years because they are past their best. Appreciate the maths lesson though ;-)

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
French would be half that and is close to a Ponga... Money saved you can buy another cracker player too.

Also don't forget Ponga is in his first yr... He will eventually get found out and coaches will play to his weaknesses sooner or later.
Yeh fair call, I just don't think French has a kicking game. His a good runner of the ball. We desperately need a kicker in general play and fullbacks coming around the back able to put the ball in goal is critical. We are the worst at it and have been for years.

We need to plan for three years down the track now. Like Newcastle, they didn't spend their full cap over the past few years so that when a top level player like Ponga is available no one can compete just like the cowboys couldn't. This means a couple years of pain for us but rebuilding is not a one or two year process.

Every team needs that superstar player and that will mean $1m plus to be spent on him so long as its the right one.

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeh fair call, I just don't think French has a kicking game. His a good runner of the ball. We desperately need a kicker in general play and fullbacks coming around the back able to put the ball in goal is critical. We are the worst at it and have been for years.

We need to plan for three years down the track now. Like Newcastle, they didn't spend their full cap over the past few years so that when a top level player like Ponga is available no one can compete just like the cowboys couldn't. This means a couple years of pain for us but rebuilding is not a one or two year process.

Every team needs that superstar player and that will mean $1m plus to be spent on him so long as its the right one.
We had 3x 1mil players... woods, foran and mbye. None are superstars though.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We had 3x 1mil players... woods, foran and mbye. None are superstars though.
Exactly my point, so long as its the right player. You have to know quality when you see one and our recruitment team led by Cleal and Hasler couldn't.

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly my point, so long as its the right player. You have to know quality when you see one and our recruitment team led by Cleal and Hasler couldn't.
I forgot to (e'sarcasm) my post....
Shows how fuckin stupid our books must be.
Most clubs build a side around the million dollar man. Instead we get 3 of the ***** who aren't even close to the price tag and have to squeeze in the rest with not much proven talent

Horny Wog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I said its just an example and if any player of similar calibre we should go for and not players that will only be here for a couple years because they are past their best. Appreciate the maths lesson though ;-)
Too bad we havent got much to chose from

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score

The way you have worded your comment seems like you think French will be better than Ponga. French gets found out every game, did you watch Souths vs Parra ?? French was BAD. He is a winger at best and gets caught out worse than Mbye.

Status
Not open for further replies.