Dean Pay - What is our game plan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Sxc_boi’s comments have some truth to it, Pay probably wasn’t the best choice coach to pick after Hasler, it was a risk to bring in an inexperienced coach to start a rebuild, again it was Dib’s doing. But in saying that, I’m not prepared to give him the flick just yet, the poor bloke has walked into a disaster. He doesn’t have a spine to work with and we can all see that. He simply hasn’t got the players. The majority of the problem lies with the spine, a lot of experienced NRL coaches would find it incredibly hard to work with what we got at 9,7,6 and now no number 1.
It’s not Pays fault, he is simply a rookie coach that is starting his career in coaching first grade but with no tools(player talent). Its a difficult task even for your most experienced coaches. Our club is just shithouse at the moment, and to blame it solely on Pay, is just not fair IMO.
My issue is. You can see what game plan Pay is trying to implement. Its a clone of what ricky stuart has/is doing....

Ricky's style is too high risk/high reward. Its not a composed storm like game plan. Raiders will impress you for 2 weeks, then look like spooners the next. Its just the system.

"If they score 30, we'll score 34"... not a premiership winning attitude.

In saying that. Ricky does know to rebuild a club and re-invent a club brand.

Pay is forcing a game plan on players instead of basing a game plan around the players he has.

Last edited:

aymz maz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Us fans just asked for a change, we did change.. we’ve gotten worse ! I said to myself to be patient with pay but week by week I’m losing confidence, is it just me or is dean pay another Ricky Stuart 2.0?

Malla

Reaction score
My issue is. You can see what game plan Pay is trying to implement. Its a clone of what ricky stuart has/is doing....

Ricky's style is too high risk/high reward. Its not a composed storm like game plan. Raiders will impress you for 2 weeks, then look like spooners the next. Its just the system.

"If they score 30, we'll score 34"... not a premiership winning attitude.

In saying that. Ricky does know to rebuild a club and re-invent a club brand.

Pay is forcing a game plan on players instead of basing a game plan around the players he has.
You lost me at 'we'll score 34'

Pretty sure that's not even our total points scored over the last 3 weeks lol

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
We need to coach the coach? Lol. Just let Anderson take over and lay the foundations for a new coach, that probably is already being done though..
Anderson is giving Pay a lot of help at present.

I think that bodes with the hypothesis that we’re rubbish across the park, look at the Raiders - they had Sezer, Austin and Wighton in key spine positions (pretty decent players?) yet it has taken the addition of Hodgson to turn their attack around dramatically.

My mates just laugh at our “Big 4” of Mbye (soon to be Holland/Hoppa/), JMK, Frawley, Lichaa - fuck me dead....

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Anderson is giving Pay a lot of help at present.

I think that bodes with the hypothesis that we’re rubbish across the park, look at the Raiders - they had Sezer, Austin and Wighton in key spine positions (pretty decent players?) yet it has taken the addition of Hodgson to turn their attack around dramatically.

My mates just laugh at our “Big 4” of Mbye (soon to be Holland/Hoppa/), JMK, Frawley, Lichaa - fuck me dead....
Raiders have bloody Stuart as coach, get a better coach and they're a lock for the 8 in recent years. Hodgson is an excellent player tbat covers a lot of weaknesses...so basically you want excellent players to cover Pay's weaknesses?

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Raiders have bloody Stuart as coach, get a better coach and they're a lock for the 8 in recent years. Hodgson is an excellent player tbat covers a lot of weaknesses...so basically you want excellent players to cover Pay's weaknesses?
I’d be happy with “competent” players over “excellent” players at the moment.

Is it Brad Arthur’s fault the Eels sit at the bottom of the table with a roster 10x as good as ours? Or is it a combination of players attitudes, egos, disharmony etc.?

Just sayin...

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yes they did
I've recently watched some of those games, they didn't for sure & certain. At least this weekend was one game, not numerous like in 2008.

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
Us fans just asked for a change, we did change.. we’ve gotten worse ! I said to myself to be patient with pay but week by week I’m losing confidence, is it just me or is dean pay another Ricky Stuart 2.0?
I think he is worse than Ricky lol

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
People are harsh on Dean Pay. He is a rookie FG coach, but he is an accomplished coach. He won at his first gig in Dubbo.
He then went as an assistant to Kevin Walters at Catalan Dragons.
He coached the Storm under 20's.
He was the NSW State of Origin under 20's coach. He won the title three times in a row.
He was assistant coach at both Parramatta and Canberra.
It is difficult to understand how people can say he doesnt know what hes doing.
I think its more appropriate to look at what he has to work with. The club needs to rebuild its roster. Hes doing that.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
People are harsh on Dean Pay. He is a rookie FG coach, but he is an accomplished coach. He won at his first gig in Dubbo.
He was the NSW State of Origin under 20's coach. He won the title three times in a row.
I think its more appropriate to look at what he has to work with. The club needs to rebuild its roster. Hes doing that.

If we let some of these Kennelers run our club we would probably have a new coach ever three months...LOL

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
There is no doubt the roster is an issue but there are defiantly questions about Pays coaching ability.
He's had 14 games and there hasn't been one moment where you think that's a smart bit of coaching.
Even with the low quality cattle at his disposal there should be improvement from round 1 to round 15 and if anything we are getting worse.
I'm not saying get rid of him but he's going to have to show that he's got potential to lead us out of this mess because he hasn't so far.

Last edited:

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The common theme here in defence of Pay is he doesn’t have a quality spine...granted that has merit

The issue I have with Pay is the defence...which has had been the right edge all season yet he refuses to address it and continues to select Montoya who clearly struggles with his D pattern

He switched to the left last start and coincidentally all the tries bar one were scored there but largely due to Frawley and Olive inability to adapt to the D pattern and make smart decisions

My issue with Pay is his inability and reluctance to coach these players to adapt to his methods on defence

The attack looks like Des ball

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There is no doubt the roster is an issue but there are defiantly questions about Pays coaching ability.
He's had 14 games and there hasn't been one moment where you think that's a smart but of coaching.
Even with the low quality cattle at his disposal there should be improvement from round 1 to round 15 and if anything we are getting worse.
I'm not saying get rid of him but he's going to have to show that he's got potential to lead us out of this mess because he hasn't so far.
Show something? I think constantly rotating the team in order to trial everyone to see if they sink or swim in different positions is the only thing everybody should be considering about Pay's ability to coach. Im sorry if this offends anyone but judging a coach on the basis he is rebuilding a team by playing a season long trial is just sad.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He's had 14 games and there hasn't been one moment where you think that's a smart but of coaching.
Exactly

I just want to see one but of game play improvement that has his fingerprints on it

Moving players around akin to shuffling deck chairs isn’t working

He needs to overhaul his Des v2 current game plan and write a new blueprint custom to the strengths and weaknesses of our squad

For example our spine is shit

We don’t have lightning backs

So build a gameplan around our pack dare I say the ‘dogs of war’ aggression he told us about in the off season

The defensive scheme hasn’t worked since round one yet he’s persistent with that and we get caught out every week on the edges particularly our right ( or whatever wing Montoya is on)

The reality is in the last 3 seasons the best we have looked is the last 4 rounds of 2017 when the players effectively coaches themselves as Des was dead man walking and Pay had not been signed yet

I’m over this garbage footy I’m witnessing

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Show something? I think constantly rotating the team in order to trial everyone to see if they sink or swim in different positions is the only thing everybody should be considering about Pay's ability to coach. Im sorry if this offends anyone but judging a coach on the basis he is rebuilding a team by playing a season long trial is just sad.
Yeah show something! Tell me something about Pay this year that has made you think WOW i'm confident this bloke is going to be a good coach.
Consistently shuffling? Most of his changes have been due to injuries except for dropping Lichaa and Eastwood and Frawley earlier in the season.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah show something! Tell me something about Pay this year that has made you think WOW i'm confident this bloke is going to be a good coach.
Consistently shuffling? Most of his changes have been due to injuries except for dropping Lichaa and Eastwood and Frawley earlier in the season.
I'm not down on Pay yet but I agree. It is time for him to show something different. I don't care if it doesn't work just so long as he tries something. My dog could coach a forward pack to run 5 plays and then kick. It's time to see some sort of sign of an attacking structure, even if they bugger the execution.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
:tonguewink::upset: Dean Pay - What is our game plan?

To bring back the MaDnEsS!!!!:o:dizzy::screamcat::laughing: When other teams play us they will know that they have played the Bulldogs :grinning::tonguewink::unamused::sob:

Last edited:

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
:tonguewink::upset: Dean Pay - What is our game plan?

To bring back the MaDnEsS!!!!:o:dizzy::screamcat::laughing: When other teams play us they will know that they have played the Bulldogs :grinning::tonguewink::unamused::sob:
That’s what he said tough almost verbatim

Status
Not open for further replies.