NRL Reporter With Balls Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Everyone who cares already knows Dib, Des and Castle are responsible for this mess anyway I don’t really see the point of having it plastered on the back pages because ultimately it reflects badly on the club. What’s done is done, we all know what they have done and it’s more important to move forward and start fixing the mess and support the club when it’s needed most.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Everyone who cares already knows Dib, Des and Castle are responsible for this mess anyway I don’t really see the point of having it plastered on the back pages because ultimately it reflects badly on the club. What’s done is done, we all know what they have done and it’s more important to move forward and start fixing the mess and support the club when it’s needed most.
There was enough poo slinging from the apes at the zoo (from both sides) coming up to and during the election....

It's best left alone... the failures go do their own thing, and let the current board do their thing.

If in 3 years we are still a mess, I'm sure the voting members will "remind them" of their duties at the polls.

As I said earlier today, it's like political voting. One party fucks up, the other gets in, the other party fucks up, the other party gets back in.

This is why I think the current board are shitting bricks (and approaching things like they are), because we are almost a season down, and have nothing to show for it. If next year we flop trying to rebuild, they really only have a season to shine before it's back to the voting booths again.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
There was enough poo slinging from the apes at the zoo (from both sides) coming up to and during the election....

It's best left alone... the failures go do their own thing, and let the current board do their thing.

If in 3 years we are still a mess, I'm sure the voting members will "remind them" of their duties at the polls.

As I said earlier today, it's like political voting. One party fucks up, the other gets in, the other party fucks up, the other party gets back in.

This is why I think the current board are shitting bricks (and approaching things like they are), because we are almost a season down, and have nothing to show for it. If next year we flop trying to rebuild, they really only have a season to shine before it's back to the voting booths again.
I disagree the new board would be pretty comfortable even if this rebuild goes belly up or slower then first thought the only challenger would probably be the old board members and the stench of the mess they left will hang around for a long long time.

MitchNewton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They’ve done nothing illegal so not sure what you expect a reporter to do. If Mybe and Foran played closer to their pay packets we’d be top 8 and no one would be talking about back ended contracts.

Art Vandelay

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They’ve done nothing illegal so not sure what you expect a reporter to do. If Mybe and Foran played closer to their pay packets we’d be top 8 and no one would be talking about back ended contracts.
One down, one more to go.....

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im calling out for an NRL Reporter to stand up, show some balls and report on a story that finally needs to be told.

Our salary cap drama's have been widely reported, but apart from stating Hasler's habit of back ending deals not much else has been said.

What Im calling for, is for an NRL reporter to give this story the coverage that it deserves.

Its time for one of them to have some balls and shame the 3 key figures responsible for the demise and current state of affairs at the Bulldogs.

I'd love to see a full page story with a picture of each of their heads, Des, Raelene and Dib each stamped with a big "SHAME" over the top of their photo. So the story title across the page is "SHAME, SHAME, SHAME ".

The story should then go on blaming and shaming the role they each played in it all & questioning their abilities and also if they should ever be considered by any any future employee, especially Des.

For mine, theses 3 people have got away with it way too easy and its time for them to be shamed accordingly.

Will an NRL Reporter please stand up?
While I totally agree with what you say, yes they should all be ridiculed and shamed but it just won't happen to the level you are requesting. While nothing illegal was performed, I do think the NRL must step in when they are signing off on deals like backened deals done under Hasler and Did. How the NRL can see that we were singing players and big deals backended and do nothing about it is a disgrace.
The result of all of the incompetence and lack of management when in comes to the salary cap is now on show with the new board and coach left with the mess and a set of fans furious that their club has hit rock bottom.

Not only will the Bulldogs as a club be hit financially but the NRL will also suffer with thousands of fans not attending games. We all know that when it comes to the back end of the season the bulldogs fans come out in numbers. This will not happen until the Dogs turn things around.

So hopefully once the NRL see the ramifications of such dealings in how it not only effects the club but the game itself that they will put measures in place to ensure it is not repeated.

The NRL still have an obligation to protect the clubs from board members and coaches running them to the ground.

Last edited:

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The new board and Hill refuse to point the finger.You will get the odd comment directed at Des,but you will not get much said about Raelene and Dib.

They will not talk about the past,but will only address the future and where our club goes from here.They refuse to put any responsibility on the previous administration and will only recognize that it's their collective responsibility to get the club out of this predicament (we'll see if their attitude changes if the old board makes a challenge).

The media have enough facts to blame Des,but there’s a board and a CEO who have to sign off on player agreements.Without the new board's and CEO's support,the media have to thread very carefully with their comments on past administration.Then you have the issue with that idiot John Grant,who attributed and compounded the stuff up with his premature $10 million salary cap statements.

There can be grounds for litigation against the media if they lay blame but cannot prove negligence (a person willfully acts in a careless way and as a result causes harm to another/s). All Raelene and Dib's Legal Counsel need to do is prove that at the appointed time,they acted in good faith,on the proviso of John Grant's statements,who was acting in a capacity of an agent for the NRL.Once the plaintiff's Legal Counsel establishes this relevance,it's easy to prove that they used 'reasonable care' because no 'reasonable suspicion' or misleading statements are to be expected from an agent for the NRL.Proposition is the only probative value that the defendant's Legal Counsel can argue against,meaning was Grant directing an 'official statement' or was the context centered around conjecture.

Des is a much easier target,in 'Civil Law' character,identification and historical incidents are standards for 'preponderance of the evidence'. Personally,I cannot think of any clear and convincing argument to demand discretionary exclusion for these standards.These probative values will determine ‘legal relevance’ and establish negligence.Once the matter of negligence is asserted,it will substantially outweigh any evidence for 'reasonable care'. The plaintiff's Legal Counsel might submit evidence to rebut a point for which judicial notice has not been authoritatively attested.But it's difficult to establish that the evidence for negligence is not unfairly prejudicial.Authoritatively attested arguments are easily dismissed by direct and documentary evidence that may be found in the form of past media documents and electronic agencies.This direct and documentary evidence of a past event is offered as an item of tangible evidence,which cannot reasonably be doubted that similar or identical negligence was previously reported on,claimed or established.
***In other words the media reported how he screwed Manly so under similar circumstances there's a big chance (preponderance) he screwed us.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im calling out for an NRL Reporter to stand up, show some balls and report on a story that finally needs to be told.

Our salary cap drama's have been widely reported, but apart from stating Hasler's habit of back ending deals not much else has been said.

What Im calling for, is for an NRL reporter to give this story the coverage that it deserves.

Its time for one of them to have some balls and shame the 3 key figures responsible for the demise and current state of affairs at the Bulldogs.

I'd love to see a full page story with a picture of each of their heads, Des, Raelene and Dib each stamped with a big "SHAME" over the top of their photo. So the story title across the page is "SHAME, SHAME, SHAME ".

The story should then go on blaming and shaming the role they each played in it all & questioning their abilities and also if they should ever be considered by any any future employee, especially Des.

For mine, theses 3 people have got away with it way too easy and its time for them to be shamed accordingly.

I don't think many on this forum would disagree with you,and I for one would love nothing better,but because of confidentiality agreements in their contract,it's very unlikely.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Media were looking to write articles around the time the board changed... however I know for certain not all were positive, and some reporters were a poofteenth away from reporting some rather serious goings on.

Let's not forget the James Hasoon shermozzle.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hasler has back-ended the Bulldogs into a huge hole

Des Hasler’s reliance on back-ended contracts as left the Bulldogs’ roster management in a mess
The Australian - 12:00AM June 16, 2018

So Moses Mbye will play his last game for the Bulldogs this afternoon. That’s a shame; this was the bloke I thought Dean Pay could build the club around.

And what a great club it used to be. Winner of multiple premierships, combative on the field, powerful in the boardroom, more like a family than a franchise. Not today.

This once proud and successful organisation currently sits second last on the competition table mired in defeats and distractions. The reasons for the demise are plentiful, well documented, and have been building for some time.

So when did things start to turn sour for the “family club”? You probably have to go back to 2011 when a decision was made to sack head coach Kevin Moore and pay big money for a big-name replacement.

Wayne Bennett, Craig Bellamy and Des Hasler were all the rage at the time. The Bulldogs board chose Hasler and told then CEO, Todd Greenberg, to get into his spy gear and convert the asset. Greenberg went in under the cover of darkness and completed the mission. Des became a Dog.

What an interesting study is Des Hasler. He has the ability to leave you feeling enlightened and insulted all in the one conversation. Genius or weirdo, teaser or tyrant, one could never tell, and that’s exactly the way Des liked it I suspect. During his very successful tenure at the Sea Eagles Hasler adopted a rather scientific approach to coaching. He had metrics on metrics feeding a fancy player rating system that significantly shaped his filter on the game.

Premierships in 2008 and 2011, runners up in 2007, it seemed the Hasler method had much going for it. But as all good coaches know, players win comps, and after Des’s players won a couple, he had to figure a way to keep his best players together. The answer? Back-ended contracts.

The basic premise: players take less in the early years of their deal for big increases in the final years. It’s a delicate and risky undertaking. The AFL won’t allow the practice; they believe it’s a flawed system that leads to only one thing — chaos.

Des wasn’t deterred, the Sea Eagles were winning, and by the time he left Manly to join the Bulldogs, contract chaos was nowhere to be seen.

When Hasler arrived at Belmore it seemed a perfect fit. Old school Bulldogs fused with modern-day methods would result in, well, better results.

Grand final appearances in 2012 and again in 2014, with finals footy either side, told the story of a successful partnership. But something troubling was happening in the background.

Despite the fact the Bulldogs board had cited their opposition to back-ended contracts, Hasler began to use the practice as he became desperate to win a premiership. The team’s style of football, much celebrated early in Des’s tenure, became more predictable and less effective. The science wasn’t holding up on the field.

As cracks appeared the very passionate Bulldogs supporter base started to make some noise. Change was required, but that early success was all the evidence Hasler needed to stick to his guns. It’s at this juncture the unravelling process hit full throttle.

The board backed the coach, the coach struggled to change, the quality of football diminished, the fans got jumpy, the board forced change on the coach, results didn’t improve, then the board got jumpy, and ultimately lost its way.

The flashpoint: club legend Steve Mortimer stood down from the board after publicly criticising the head coach.. The place was falling apart.

You need look no further than the past 12 months of Des Hasler’s tenure for real insight into the Bulldogs’ current woes. With a football club board election looming, chairman Ray Dib was doing everything he could to win back his constituents’ confidence. It started with the resigning of Hasler and finished with his sacking.

In between, CEO Raelene Castle was moved on, and a roster management strategy was employed that could best be described as “man with corn chips mistakes baby poo for peanut butter”.

Ultimately Dib and his ticket would be voted out with a mighty big mess left behind. For Lynne Anderson and the new Bulldogs board, fixing that mess will be a slow burn.

Rebuilding the roster on it’s own is a sizeable project. Blooding youngsters, finding cheap talent, investing in junior pathways, identifying then securing marquee players, there’s much to do but little patience from those you’re doing it for.

It is also important that the back-to-the-future narrative being touted by the club is balanced with a modern and systemised approach to business.

Des Hasler gave the Bulldogs a glimpse of what new thinking can do for an old-fashioned club. It worked for a while, but then it stopped working, and Des didn’t adapt.

Sports science, player rating systems, old school DNA, all these ideas have merit at some point. But in the end, the only idea that matters is the one that works, because if it doesn’t work, nor will you.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'd like to see them held accountable by ASIC under corporations law. I'd like to see them fined heavily or even jailed. What's the point of having laws for this sort of thing if people aren't held accountable for their actions?

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I'd like to see them held accountable by ASIC under corporations law. I'd like to see them fined heavily or even jailed. What's the point of having laws for this sort of thing if people aren't held accountable for their actions?
Oh god.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Kate has been looking into writing an article on the Bulldogs for a while and is just trying to find "the smoking gun" one might say.

Not sure that some people will enjoy the article that comes from it though.
Journos really are your best or worst friend depending on which way the rind is blowing in a given moment, eh? ;)

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Journos really are your best or worst friend depending on which way the rind is blowing in a given moment, eh? ;)
The smell of shit wafts around regardless. Just saying that I know Kate and a few others were after a smoking gun a while back.

Journos I honestly put at the same level as shonky real estate agents and used car salesmen.

"Yep... shes runs like a dream ... not a problem with her.." *3 weeks later* "Excuse me used car salesman, the had gasket just blew and pushed a rod through the side of the engine" "Nahhh mate never had that happen befre, must have been your driving".

"This house is beautiful.. safe neighbourhood, quality build, and in an area that is expected to rise 10% in the next 12 months". *14 months, 2 murders, 5 stabbings, 8 assaults, 6 break and enters later* "Excuse me mr agent, when it rains the water comes into the roof and shorts out the power, is this something you knew about? Also the area is crime ridden" "Lets sell it then... Oh your house price has dropped $200,000 since purchase by the way"

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
What they have done to the club is criminal. How on earth did Raelene & Dib rubber stamp Des' ridiculous requests. Did no one else with a football brain suggest that signing forwards on million dollar deals was a ridiculous idea?? Just when you thought it couldn't get any more absurd, Raelene scored a job at Rugby Union after her role in this mess.

I am enraged with what has been going on this season. Players being shown the door, one of the worst starts to a season in our history, it makes our club look like an unprofessional joke. Unfortunately it is necessary and it's ugly that this clear out takes place.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.