Belmore this weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Mods feel free to delete or move the thread

Just wanted some advice on people who have driven to Belmore games before as I usually catch the train.

If I aim to get there around 12ish would I be able to find parking easily enough somewhere in town?

First time driving in so just not sure at all how much time I should allow
Park across the railway, northern side i think and walk under the rail underpass right next to the stadium.

Enjoy.

top-dog

bulldog 4 life
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Their will be plenty of parking even 5 min before kick-off because no one is going lol.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Coming from Camden, M5 is always hit and miss depending if some dopey bastard gets into a prang as usual.

But yeah plan on a bite to eat before heading over to watch ISP so will be getting there early.

Plus I imagine Dogs current form will keep people away anyway
Take the Bexley North exit and drive up Bexley Road. Drive up to Canterbury road and turn left when you get to it. Stay in the right lane, and turn into Thorncraft parade. Plenty of parking between there and the sports ground - but check the back streets as well (red lines below).

upload_2018-6-13_8-10-5.png

Dogschat

Waterboy
Reaction score

Just wanted some advice on people who have driven to Belmore games before as I usually catch the train.

If I aim to get there around 12ish would I be able to find parking easily enough somewhere in town?

Mate I think you will find side street parking till 3 pm kick off. 90% of attendance will be family, friends and officials with a handful of long suffering fans. To be quite honest while would anyone pay for suffering. We have become the North Sydney of NRL the absolute best of grabbing losses out of the jaws of victory. And Lol we have a pathetic coach we in press conferences keeps conceding his team is not playing @ 100% and that we are building towards it. Sorry buddy breaking news we are more than half way thru comp and team is not at 110%. If it was business Pay would be history already but he is at a club with the dumbest administration yet proudest supporters. Shame shame shame. Back on topic you'll be right mate plenty parking at 12pm

WFC03

Waterboy
Reaction score

My suggestion? Give it a miss. Parking is atrocious, ground should be condemned, faculties non existent. If u want food? bring your own. If u want to use the bathroom?too bad hold it in. If it rains u get wet. Want to watch a replay on the big screen? Too bad not gonna happen. Want to get out afterwards? Might as well stay at the ground for an hour and help the grounds man pack up because you are not getting out of there any time soon. And that is if you get a crowd of about 6000.

Feendogz

Observant
Reaction score
Just a heads up to everyone, i've been to Belmore plenty of times. I've just never driven in for a game day, only caught the train.

Its a great place to attend for one off games so I really can't understand the hate for it.

The team is doing shit no doubt, but its a rare day that I get to drag my father out to enjoy something he did as a kid.

So thanks for the suggestions of giving it a miss, but i'll still be attending.

Wahesh

Reaction score
My suggestion? Give it a miss. Parking is atrocious, ground should be condemned, faculties non existent. If u want food? bring your own. If u want to use the bathroom?too bad hold it in. If it rains u get wet. Want to watch a replay on the big screen? Too bad not gonna happen. Want to get out afterwards? Might as well stay at the ground for an hour and help the grounds man pack up because you are not getting out of there any time soon. And that is if you get a crowd of about 6000.
Ummm that was the case in 1998, not today. Have you even been to the ground since it got not 1, but 2 upgrades, and over $10,000,000 in Government funding? I think not!

Emdog85

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ummm that was the case in 1998, not today. Have you even been to the ground since it got not 1, but 2 upgrades, and over $10,000,000 in Government funding? I think not!
Some people just have to whinge bro. We don't want him there anyway

WFC03

Waterboy
Reaction score
I have actually. Been to every game there since we started playing there again. But won’t be going back. Club just called asking if I wanted to buy tickets at 50% off for the game as I am a member but I wouldn’t go if they were free.

And about those upgrades maybe you should do some research to see where the money was spent. None of it was on the facilities for the fans, all of it was spent on the training facilities and the clubs administrative offices.

Suburban grounds are a blight on the game and the sooner teams are banned from using them the sooner the game can move forwards and grow. All this rubbish about the heart of the game. How about you look at how much money ours and other clubs lose by playing at suburban grounds? I know that manly need 15k to break even at bookie, tigers need about the same at leichardt and Campbelltown. Sharks need 14k. Now look at their crowd averages and tell me how many times they hit that?

Wahesh

Reaction score
I have actually. Been to every game there since we started playing there again. But won’t be going back. Club just called asking if I wanted to buy tickets at 50% off for the game as I am a member but I wouldn’t go if they were free.

And about those upgrades maybe you should do some research to see where the money was spent. None of it was on the facilities for the fans, all of it was spent on the training facilities and the clubs administrative offices.

Suburban grounds are a blight on the game and the sooner teams are banned from using them the sooner the game can move forwards and grow. All this rubbish about the heart of the game. How about you look at how much money ours and other clubs lose by playing at suburban grounds? I know that manly need 15k to break even at bookie, tigers need about the same at leichardt and Campbelltown. Sharks need 14k. Now look at their crowd averages and tell me how many times they hit that?
Nothing was done for the facilities of the fans? Not even the entire sweeping of the 12,000 seats in the grandstand and replacing them all? All the food and beverage areas were demountable, and the toilets have always been usable. Parking is the only thing that was really an issue back then, but as mentioned, there is plenty on the suburban streets.

Yes, we do get stacks of money playing at ANZ, but, that's only for x amount of games, meaning that we can move games away from ANZ if we wish. The Bulldogs are a financially viable club, and can afford to take a small loss for playing at Belmore, and as far as I'm concerned, if that is good for the local economy and the Belmore CBD, then good on the club for doing something for the wider community.

I have been an advocate for Belmore for as long as I can remember, so don't try and change my views on it, you'll only be wasting your time.

WFC03

Waterboy
Reaction score
Nothing was done for the facilities of the fans? Not even the entire sweeping of the 12,000 seats in the grandstand and replacing them all? All the food and beverage areas were demountable, and the toilets have always been usable. Parking is the only thing that was really an issue back then, but as mentioned, there is plenty on the suburban streets.

Yes, we do get stacks of money playing at ANZ, but, that's only for x amount of games, meaning that we can move games away from ANZ if we wish. The Bulldogs are a financially viable club, and can afford to take a small loss for playing at Belmore, and as far as I'm concerned, if that is good for the local economy and the Belmore CBD, then good on the club for doing something for the wider community.

I have been an advocate for Belmore for as long as I can remember, so don't try and change my views on it, you'll only be wasting your time.

Your right spending money to replace existing seating is a great way to spend money. How about replacing the cover behind the ingoal that was removed to provide some shelter for supporters or to upgrade the toilet block on the hill so it is suitable for human use?

And this rubbish about it being ok to lose money to play back at belmore is the height of hypocracy given the amount of posts on this forum from people saying we should spend more money on junior development. Well you can only spend the same dollar once. What will it be on? To pay to play at a substandard venue twice a year or to develop young local talent? I am sure those kids running around in the local junior comps don’t care if the dogs play at belmore if it means they get good coaches and fields to play on.

And those 2 games could easily be taken to say the central coast where they are begging for some football and the club would be paid to play there also. And then that money could be invested back into the game.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Those seats in the grandstand were well past their used-by date. They were there since the Grandstand was built in 1980, 35 years had come and gone and taken it's toll on them. Plastic doesn't last forever mate. The new seats were needed.

As for shelter, I agree that could be used in that area, however it is not a priority because the chances of it raining on those 2 games we play at Belmore per year were not likely (we get most of our rain in Summer and Autumn, oddly enough, not winter). Spending that money on training facilities that were needed for immediate use was the priority. Perhaps phase 3 of the upgrade will be sufficient enough to fund the shelter and toilet facilities.

Also as I mentioned, it's not just about the club, it's about the wider community. The wider community benefits from games being hosted at Belmore. I can only imagine the local shops and businesses happy that many more people are walking past (or perhaps IN) their doors on Burwood road - more business for them. The club has a certain degree of care for the community and hosting games there is justified.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Suburban grounds are a blight on the game and the sooner teams are banned from using them the sooner the game can move forwards and grow. All this rubbish about the heart of the game. How about you look at how much money ours and other clubs lose by playing at suburban grounds?
Rubbish.... until games crack over the capacity of suburban grounds, it makes more sense to play them at local grounds, instead of the 80,000 seat concrete jungle known as ANZ. ANZ has no soul.

Have you ever been to Brookie? or Leichardt? Both are awesome stadiums for a weekend game. It's what the game is all about.

Anything less than 40,000 at ANZ and the place is like a ghost town with zero atmosphere.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Rubbish.... until games crack over the capacity of suburban grounds, it makes more sense to play them at local grounds, instead of the 80,000 seat concrete jungle known as ANZ. ANZ has no soul.

Have you ever been to Brookie? or Leichardt? Both are awesome stadiums for a weekend game. It's what the game is all about.

Anything less than 40,000 at ANZ and the place is like a ghost town with zero atmosphere.
I remember I went to ANZ game in 2008. It was Monday night and we were against the Sharks. It was SBW's final game for us, and the night the infamous incident in the photo below took place.

I only went because we had free box tickets and finger food and unlimited drink. It was freaking good. We won the game and it was our home game, but FUCK... it was dead. Less than 8,000 people there (Monday night in the middle of winter, what a surprise). That game made our top 10 game of lowest attendances of all time at ANZ.

WFC03

Waterboy
Reaction score

Yep. Been to Brookie plenty of times including playing on and reffing local a grade games. The place is a death trap. Is probably the only ground worse than belmore.

And the argument that it never rains at games played at belmore? Maybe you want to check cause 2 of the last 4 games played there it absolutely bucketed down. I know because I was standing out in it with nowhere to go because my only other option was to go home.

I would much prefer ANZ where I am guaranteed parking, can walk in and get a comfortable undercover seat no matter what, I can choose from any number of food outlets (although some times you have to wonder how they can get away with price gouging like they do), can get to one of any number of bathrooms, have 2 massive screens as well as free WiFi, it is easy to get to after work on a Thursday or Friday night and where since we moved there have increased our membership close to 10 fold and regularly have one of the highest home crowd averages in the league.

Emdog85

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep. Been to Brookie plenty of times including playing on and reffing local a grade games. The place is a death trap. Is probably the only ground worse than belmore.

And the argument that it never rains at games played at belmore? Maybe you want to check cause 2 of the last 4 games played there it absolutely bucketed down. I know because I was standing out in it with nowhere to go because my only other option was to go home.

I would much prefer ANZ where I am guaranteed parking, can walk in and get a comfortable undercover seat no matter what, I can choose from any number of food outlets (although some times you have to wonder how they can get away with price gouging like they do), can get to one of any number of bathrooms, have 2 massive screens as well as free WiFi, it is easy to get to after work on a Thursday or Friday night and where since we moved there have increased our membership close to 10 fold and regularly have one of the highest home crowd averages in the league.
You're a dope

HaceDog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

Couldn't agree more. ANZ is crap for 10k people. The other guy needs to stop being a princess and enjoy the Belmore experience for what it is

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Spot on,reading your post reminded me of my favorite English soccer team Tottenham,who moved from White Hart Lane to Wembley in 2017/18 season,whilst their new state of the art stadium was being built.

I've got family in North London on my mother's side,which I visit often,and whilst in England,if the season is on,I always attend a few home games.Even though their average attendance in the Premier League was second highest with 68,052 (Manchester United are first),broke the Premier League attendance record 3 times,there was no atmosphere at Wembley which has a 90,000 capacity.The new stadium was specifically designed to capture the English fans atmosphere,which they are famous for.

Now it depends on the individual.If you like to sit comfy,comfy and cheer or boo into a screen or inside a ghostly ANZ,Belmore ain't for you.I for one am now fussed by all the inadequacies already mentioned for Belmore,I'm prepared to watch my team live wherever they play.

Status
Not open for further replies.