Open Question: Pay’s Favouritism versus Recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magilla

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Running a football team is not like SuperCoach. In SuperCoach the price of the player is fixed each round. The players are always happy to be traded even mid contract, and most importantly you don't need to worry about players gelling and team culture. Not to mention greedy player managers and family/logistics issues.

The real world is very different. Players are humans with feelings. They have varied influences and make mistakes. Unfortunately so do clubs, coaches and player managers. What this all points to is that no coach should be solely responsible for recruitment. Especially within a salary cap environment. We seen first hand what this can lead to.

So to all those armchair coaches out there I say without a clear picture of the cap and with the intricacies involved in managing it how can you start calling for who should be sold/bought, promoted/demoted. It's ok to have opinions, but it is also unreasonable to blame the current administration if they don't agree with them. Just remember that they may want exactly what you want but the real world of nrl won't allow it. and don't expect them to come out and publish the blueprint moving forward just to appease supporters. It won't happen and nor should it.
Well said. I like the fact they are quietly going about their business.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Remember he is restricted to picking from the top 30.
He needs special approval to utilise others, and he has been knocked back by the NRL for wanting to try that.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He has a squad of 30 to chose from and there isn't a lot of options.
When the teams are selected for 2019, a lot of these kids will be in the top 30. Lewis, Woolford, Bergamin etc will hopefully continue to develop and be ready next year.
The biggest problem is we do not have a competent coach in the lower grades to accelerate this development.
I would love to see Michael Potter come back to the Dogs.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
When the teams are selected for 2019, a lot of these kids will be in the top 30. Lewis, Woolford, Bergamin etc will hopefully continue to develop and be ready next year.
The biggest problem is we do not have a competent coach in the lower grades to accelerate this development.
I would love to see Michael Potter come back to the Dogs.
@Sxc_Boi69 will tell you we do have a competent lower grade coach - initials SG.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Does anyone else believe that Pay is painfully picking players due to favouritism over talent?

In seeing what Cogger and Meaney offer, I don’t have much confidence in Pay’s ability in spotting talent going forward. I do like that we have recruited Christian Crichton as I see him as a solid dogs player for years to come and I was impressed with John Olive’s debut last week. Although, I can’t shake the feeling that Pay is choosing his favourites and not picking necessarily the best talent available. Does anyone else feel the same?

I know that we have cap problems but surely there must be better options open to us.

How could you even contemplate this in comparison to what Hasler recruited in 5 years??

He brought over absolute nothing

Josh brought his brother Brett over at the end of his career

Hasler couldn’t get Foran over until the Third time around

Tony Williams did nothing and we paid top dollar

Inu and perrett were the mid season buys...

From memory I can’t remeber him recruiting a young talent or an established first grader in his prime. Besides tony Williams..

I’m okay with pay at this point

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So let me see if im following this thread correctly. The old admin team and coach have totally screwed our club poor ol Pay has the unenviable task of picking up all the pieces and getting the club back on its feet on his rookie season. Our best chance of getting out of this salary cap mess is to sign a bunch of up and coming young talent which is exactly what he is doing. Yet people disagree with this tactic?? Seriously???!!!
Pay has signed 3 former australian schoolboy or junior kangaroos and people are complaining? Bloody hell. What more can we hope for?
The only way to build our great club up to where it is meant to be is from the ground up. This starts with recruiting a whole bunch of promising young players for bargain prices, and retaining only the best of the current crop we have.
This is exactly what Pay is doing. They may not all become superstars but thats just the way things work with this plan.
And by the way @MrI Chris Anderson has nore knowledge of the game and talent identification credentials then any kenneler has in their big toe, so whats the problem with him helping search for talent???

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Because the over paid frauds that Hasler recruited were so much better and have put us in such a great position to buy whoever we want....

and as weve just seen with Lewis top 30 situation, the cap aint as cut and dry as some of the experts on here seem to think it is ...

Have some f#kn perspective and try to be a little bit subjective FFS..

Ogre

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
How could you even contemplate this in comparison to what Hasler recruited in 5 years??

He brought over absolute nothing

Josh brought his brother Brett over at the end of his career

Hasler couldn’t get Foran over until the Third time around

Tony Williams did nothing and we paid top dollar

Inu and perrett were the mid season buys...

From memory I can’t remeber him recruiting a young talent or an established first grader in his prime. Besides tony Williams..

I’m okay with pay at this point
No where have I mentioned anything with Hasler. As far as Hasler is concern, he can go fk himself. What I’m saying is Pay is creating his Under 20’s NSW team and is choosing players that he loves. Example Cogger. Cogger has proven nothing thus far and has not impressed. I understand it takes time for a player to develop and some players play well under certain coaches but watching five games of first grade Cogger has played and it seems as though he isn’t any hope. He had one decent game vs parra and that’s it.

So there is absolutely no other better talent out there that we can afford? Kids are cheap. I’m ok with Pay at this point too and I’ve backed him up all season but it honestly feels like he is choosing youngsters based on favouritism over their talent.

Last edited:

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
No where did I mention anything with Hasler. As far as Hasler is concern, he can go fk himself. What I’m saying is Pay is creating his Under 20’s NSW team and is choosing players that he loves. Example Cogger. Cogger has proven nothing thus far and has not impressed. I understand it takes time for a player to develop and some players play well under certain coaches but watching five games of first grade Cogger has played and it seems as though he isn’t any hope. He had one decent game vs parra and that’s it.

So there is absolutely no other better talent out there that we can afford? Kids are cheap. I’m ok with Pay at this point too and I’ve backed him up all season but it honestly feels like he is choosing youngsters based on favouritism over their talent.
He coached NSW u20’s. They never lost a series that’s a good place for him to start recruiting players who played at that level don’t you think ? Ffs

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He coached NSW u20’s. They never lost a series that’s a good place for him to start recruiting players who played at that level don’t you think ? Ffs
Well the last time I looked there were good young players also running around in the Queensland cup and I know that the Bronkos, Cowboys, Titans and even the storm would agree with me. Playing for Pays under 20's origin team doesn't necessarily equate to being the best option for us. What dogsdayout is alluding too is we should not only be concentrating on Pay's under 20's NSW Blues but we should broaden our search south of the boarder as well, for the best possible talent that we can afford. By Pay only targeting his under 20's NSW Blues team he is in sense showing favoritism and not necessarily picking the best available talent there is for the price that we can afford.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
No where did I mention anything with Hasler. As far as Hasler is concern, he can go fk himself. What I’m saying is Pay is creating his Under 20’s NSW team and is choosing players that he loves. Example Cogger. Cogger has proven nothing thus far and has not impressed. I understand it takes time for a player to develop and some players play well under certain coaches but watching five games of first grade Cogger has played and it seems as though he isn’t any hope. He had one decent game vs parra and that’s it.

If he can recruit the whole Nsw under 20’s team on the cheap I don’t see this as a bad thing at all!!

Better then paying overs for players like tolman & co

I bet players like Holland never made a Nsw rep side..

Those type of players that come over as fringe players,that end up playing week in week out because they try hard is what kills me, because they are depth players for teams like the roosters and Penrith yet they end up being regular first grade players for us.

If we get players that we’re good enough to make Nsw under 20’s then atleast they have the potential in being above average players..

I’m all for what he has done so far and I’m happy to hear chris Anderson is more involved with recruitment.

Hot Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Well the last time I looked there were good young players also running around in the Queensland cup and I know that the Bronkos, Cowboys, Titans and even the storm would agree with me. Playing for Pays under 20's origin team doesn't necessarily equate to being the best option for us. What dogsdayout is alluding too is we should not only be concentrating on Pay's under 20's NSW Blues but we should broaden our search south of the boarder as well, for the best possible talent that we can afford. By Pay only targeting his under 20's NSW Blues team he is in sense showing favoritism and not necessarily picking the best available talent there is for the price that we can afford.
Point taken but who else will come on minimum wage. We are lucky that Pay has the relationship with these kids that they will overlook the mess that is the Bulldogs at the moment and come over. (Most likely against the advice of the managers) Remember minimum wage is what they are coming for. Simply put we have no bargaining power to do anything else. Why would any Queensland youngster come to the dogs for minimum wage when they can stay where they are?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Point taken but who else will come on minimum wage. We are lucky that Pay has the relationship with these kids that they will overlook the mess that is the Bulldogs at the moment and come over. Remember minimum wage is what they are coming for. Simply put we have no bargaining power to do anything else. Why would any Queensland youngster come to the dogs for minimum wage when they can stay where they are?
We aren't getting them at minimum wage though. It was reported that the deal we offered Meaney was much more than that of the Knights.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Point taken but who else will come on minimum wage. We are lucky that Pay has the relationship with these kids that they will overlook the mess that is the Bulldogs at the moment and come over. (Most likely against the advice of the managers) Remember minimum wage is what they are coming for. Simply put we have no bargaining power to do anything else. Why would any Queensland youngster come to the dogs for minimum wage when they can stay where they are?
They are not only coming for minimum wage they are also coming over for more of a chance to play first grade than any other club can offer them as we continue cleansing our cap. After all that is why they play grade footy in the hope of one day establishing themselves as first graders........etc,etc.

hayes

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So he is recreating his SOO sides well they were undefeated for like 7 years. Do you realise over half 12/19 the current senior SOO side went the system dean pay and Jaime Feeney and now Danny Bederus.

Expect most of the future signings to have a history with dean pay and under 20 SOO.

The next signing will be either kelly,Jennings or Dennis

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

If he can recruit the whole Nsw under 20’s team on the cheap I don’t see this as a bad thing at all!!

Better then paying overs for players like tolman &

The last I heard we have recruitment officers in Queensland anyway including that high school benji came from.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So he is recreating his SOO sides well they were undefeated for like 7 years. Do you realise over half 12/19 the current senior SOO side went the system dean pay and Jaime Feeney and now Danny Bederus.

Expect most of the future signings to have a history with dean pay and under 20 SOO.

The next signing will be either kelly,Jennings or Dennis
Dennis?????

Status
Not open for further replies.