Open Question: Pay’s Favouritism versus Recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogre

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Does anyone else believe that Pay is painfully picking players due to favouritism over talent?

In seeing what Cogger and Meaney offer, I don’t have much confidence in Pay’s ability in spotting talent going forward. I do like that we have recruited Christian Crichton as I see him as a solid dogs player for years to come and I was impressed with John Olive’s debut last week. Although, I can’t shake the feeling that Pay is choosing his favourites and not picking necessarily the best talent available. Does anyone else feel the same?

I know that we have cap problems but surely there must be better options open to us.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Pay's not really calling the shots.

Chris Anderson has appointed himself as the clubs Recruitment Manager, and is making all the decisions at the moment (including shopping around our contracted players).

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Chris Anderson has appointed himself as the clubs Recruitment Manager, and is making all the decisions at the moment (including shopping around our contracted players).
IMO if Anderson was solely doing the recruiting we wouldn't have signed Cogger. Cogger was being chased even before the elections and correct me if I'm wrong Cogger signed on with us in January.

BREAKING
JANUARY 16 2018 - 2:01PM
Newcastle Knight Jack Cogger signs two-year deal with Bulldogs

https://www.theherald.com.au/story/5171199/jack-cogger-signs-two-year-deal-with-bulldogs/

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Im not confident at all in our recruitment decisions.. it wasnt good under Des and I have no reason to be anymore optimistic now

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone else believe that Pay is painfully picking players due to favouritism over talent?

In seeing what Cogger and Meaney offer, I don’t have much confidence in Pay’s ability in spotting talent going forward. I do like that we have recruited Christian Crichton as I see him as a solid dogs player for years to come and I was impressed with John Olive’s debut last week. Although, I can’t shake the feeling that Pay is choosing his favourites and not picking necessarily the best talent available. Does anyone else feel the same?

I know that we have cap problems but surely there must be better options open to us.
Their could be 1 or more subtle reason for his selections, lets say he promotes a player from ISP who is of contract at year ending 2018 or 2019 (many are), and that player absolutely kills it other clubs circle and we lose him. Oue cap is so F-U-C-K-E-D at the moment that we just can't complete with other clubs and some just love poaching our players for whatever reason. Its just MHO but for heavens sake lets give him some time before we start calling for his head, it wont help our club by rubbishing him after 12 games in charge, especially with the mess he inherited.

Valley Viking

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Getting rid of overpaid players and bringing in the best young talent that we can afford, that’s all this administration can do after the position the last administration left us in. These young guys that we are picking up were some of the best jnr reps coming through.

jon50n

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would take Pays recruitment over Fraudslers any day, the last 6 seasons under Des who has he signed, YES Pay has signed no names but at least he is looking at giving some young talent who has fresh legs and is hungry to make a name in FG, to me this is looking at the future of the club and not just trying to win a premiership today but looking at years to come and then some! Long term goals for me always always out weighs short term gains especially when Fraudsler failed and don't forget Pay is not even spending 10% of what Fraudsler has spent our budget is looking good!

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Their could be 1 or more subtle reason for his selections, lets say he promotes a player from ISP who is of contract at year ending 2018 or 2019 (many are), and that player absolutely kills it other clubs circle and we lose him. Oue cap is so F-U-C-K-E-D at the moment that we just can't complete with other clubs and some just love poaching our players for whatever reason. Its just MHO but for heavens sake lets give him some time before we start calling for his head, it wont help our club by rubbishing him after 12 games in charge, especially with the mess he inherited.
No one IS calling for his head but we do reserve the right as curious and concerned Bulldogs supporters to question some of his decisions as it involves the success of our clubs future.

Hot Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Running a football team is not like SuperCoach. In SuperCoach the price of the player is fixed each round. The players are always happy to be traded even mid contract, and most importantly you don't need to worry about players gelling and team culture. Not to mention greedy player managers and family/logistics issues.

The real world is very different. Players are humans with feelings. They have varied influences and make mistakes. Unfortunately so do clubs, coaches and player managers. What this all points to is that no coach should be solely responsible for recruitment. Especially within a salary cap environment. We seen first hand what this can lead to.

So to all those armchair coaches out there I say without a clear picture of the cap and with the intricacies involved in managing it how can you start calling for who should be sold/bought, promoted/demoted. It's ok to have opinions, but it is also unreasonable to blame the current administration if they don't agree with them. Just remember that they may want exactly what you want but the real world of nrl won't allow it. and don't expect them to come out and publish the blueprint moving forward just to appease supporters. It won't happen and nor should it.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I cant recall a more stupid post than this one. To suggest Dean Pay is looking after his mates is just so stupid.
The obliterated cap will decide who can and cant be recruited. The three stooges have left the club in an almighty mess,
and we have to work with what we have got. The way forward is to recruit young cheap guys with potential and hope they shape up.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
He cant recruit worse than Hasler. And we wont know how good his recruitment is until next year at the soonest, so no point speculating.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
This is all we can do for the next 1-2 seasons. We're not going to get superstars for the minimum wage. We're rolling the dice, some players will be good others may rot in NSW cup.

Unfortunate but we're not the roosters where too talent comes at bargain base prices and there's always cap space.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Who was the last difference maker that was already established in FG that came to our club that didn’t come through the junior system? Graham? It rarely happens.

The chance for this Club to be great again is all about the development of juniors. And I’ll support anyone that wants to build the club this way. Currently it’s Anderson and Pay and they have my backing. Who ever thinks we can just buy superstars is fucking kidding themselves and with the amount of salary cap at our disposal you shouldn’t be getting upset when we sign kids looking for opportunity.

Magilla

Kennel Established
Reaction score

He has a squad of 30 to chose from and there isn't a lot of options.

Magilla

Kennel Established
Reaction score

He is not shopping players around.

Magilla

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Agreed

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
It’s all a calculated risk look at the Knights and Ponga that was a huge gamble with the coin they paid him which people questioned and it’s worked. I’m not saying we have bought any players of Pongas caliber but with the situation we are in we have to roll the dice. He will find some decent players, some duds or maybe be real lucky and find a star. Judge him after a year with these players it’s then only fair way.

Status
Not open for further replies.