Canterbury find Mbye replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yep. Comparison between both of them from this rounds games.

View attachment 6112

Note for Meaney (compared to Bergamin):
4 runs for 25m (compared to 18 runs for 144m).
6 Tackles - 5 missed (compared to 4 tackles - 2 missed).
9 Post contact metres (compared to 42).
2 Try Causes (compared to 0).
2 Penalties Conceeded (compared to 0).

Really not sure how people consider him a superstar based on such numbers.
Bergamin is a footballer.. Could become a mean winger which ia why i aint fussed about bmoz leaving. Meaney is a bit more physically talented though I havent seen much of him.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I don’t Ike him... he pushed Moses out of the team... sounds like a real Meaney.

I’m here all night....

I font follow the game closely enough to know much about young talent these days, but he sounds like a good prospect. I hope he does well for us. We need a few young players to step up. We can’t afford to go and recruit established stars. We need a few seasoned, steady hands and some young and dynamic players to step up and surprise a bit. No shame in being stuck behind Ponga and it does seem he’s well regarded, so hopefully this turns out to be an astute buy.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score

View attachment 6112

Yikes! Hopefully he had greener pastures on his mind. Or a pebble in his boot. Lol. I’m sure he’s had better games... I hope he has... WTF are try causes? Lol are they like, similar to Montoyas?

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Bergamin is a footballer.. Could become a mean winger which ia why i aint fussed about bmoz leaving. Meaney is a bit more physically talented though I havent seen much of him.
Bergs is an interesting one. He's played in the halves before (to cover injury), and seems to be a pretty intelligent guy at reading play. Knows when to inject himself in attack and back up.

Given this years a write off, I'd like to see the club put him into the #1 jersey in first grade. Give him a few games and see if he can cut it or not.

Same with Lewis.

We need to find out if these fringe blokes can handle first grade, need more time, or are only ever fringe first graders.

Yikes! Hopefully he had greener pastures on his mind. Or a pebble in his boot. Lol. I’m sure he’s had better games... I hope he has... WTF are try causes? Lol are they like, similar to Montoyas?
Try Causes aka Montoyas aka Fuckups.

His stats from his previous game were equally as unimpressive.

I haven't seen anything in his form (even last year) to suggest there is something really special about him.

Reminds me of Brent Crisp/Patrick Templeman/Brett Lane. Has pace but I have concerns about how he'd handle first grade given he's not really standing out in NSW Cup.

He's very much in the same position as Cleeland. Has the ability to have a good game, but has more bad games than good imho.

One thing I'll give him is that he has pace.

Precise

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Had a few beers with my die hard Newcastle supporter mate for the last 25 years, watches all their grades. Said Meany is a definite starter for us next year and could be another Ponga, said he's been outstanding every time he's watched him. Said Cogger needs another year or so and isn't ready for 1st but with Pearce out he may get the time he needs to sharpen up enough to run out round 1 for us.

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

View attachment 6112

Lol. How can meaneys performance with the newcastle side that was smashed 62 - 0 be used to make comparison.

LG

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
even if you think bergamin is better, fullback is such an important position and its better to have 2 unproven but potentially good players then 1.

Hot Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Had a few beers with my die hard Newcastle supporter mate for the last 25 years, watches all their grades. Said Meany is a definite starter for us next year and could be another Ponga, said he's been outstanding every time he's watched him. Said Cogger needs another year or so and isn't ready for 1st but with Pearce out he may get the time he needs to sharpen up enough to run out round 1 for us.
Now that's music to my ears. In all honesty when was the last time any of us who watch the lower grades have spoken so highly of any of our juniors? I'm going to go out on a limb and say it was probably Finucane and Jackson. Or Ben Barba in the spine.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
even if you think bergamin is better, fullback is such an important position and its better to have 2 unproven but potentially good players then 1.
Totally agree. If we don't re-sign Cerruto (a possibility) we'll be short next season until a few of the younger guys come through.

Wayne Rooney

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Warriors have dome big players tied up till 2020 on some big bucks. David Fusitua off contract next year and RTS just re-signed till 2022 on 800k per year

Throw a 650k bone to David Fusitua, kid is a fucken gun

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Warriors have dome big players tied up till 2020 on some big bucks. David Fusitua off contract next year and RTS just re-signed till 2022 on 800k per year

Couldn't agree more. But the warriors would have rocks in their heads to let him go. Think he'll be there for many years to come sadly

Wayne Rooney

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Couldn't agree more. But the warriors would have rocks in their heads to let him go. Think he'll be there for many years to come sadly
I agree but as we know money talks bullshit walks.

Warriors would be crazy to keep a winger on big bucks and I think Fusitua would be excellent at Fullback

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score

Where’s the 650k coming from though.

AucklandDog

Kennel Established
Reaction score

If only we could offload Foran's $1m dud contract along with Woods' 800k. Thats $2.6m for Foran, Woods & Mbye. $2.6m could get you

Munster 1.2m
Sezer 550k
Fusitua 650k

200k change

Kennelnator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hopoate is another player on massive overs.

He was re-signed by the previous board and coach on a fullback salary

Magilla

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Watch how many times he bounces off in defence when a try is on.

At least 3-4 times.

I've seen nothing to suggest he's any better than Brad Abbey (whom might I add scored in that game). He's Brad Abbey v2.0. Looks like a superstar coming through the grades but struggles at a NSW Cup level, and defensively is way off the pace (tackles like a double armed amputee).

I'm happy to be proven wrong, but I'm just being realistic here.

Don't expect miracles, or him to be the saviour of the #1 jersey. He offers about the same as others already with the club, just with a massive question mark on his defence.
Yeah I agree. I don't expect much of him. I just hope he brings something different and youthful enthusiasm to perform well.

Status
Not open for further replies.