Clean out has commenced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
Anderson is helping him out mate, nothing wrong with that considering Pay is a rookie coach. Both have the best interest of the club at heart.
I’m telling you we are very lucky to have Chris Anderson back at the club. Anderson has won a premiership with the dogs and also coached us to a premiership, only he and the late great Steve Folkes have done that. Anderson is a smart cookie, a two time premiership winning coach, former Australian test coach and has tonnes of experience in rebuilding a club.

When Anderson took over in 1990, a stack of experienced players left the club at the end of that year, the likes of Langmack, Farrar, Gillespie, Tunks, Alchin, Thomas etc, Tony Currie left at the end of 88, Steve Mortimer retired and the rebuild in 1991 was well and truly underway. Young kids like Polla-Mounter, Gillies, Pay, Reardon, Relf, McCracken, J & D Smith we’re brought through and the team was built around Lamb. A couple of years later we we’re minor premiers in 93 & 94 and won the comp in 95.

Let’s not forget what Anderson brought to Melbourne. He helped start up the Storm and won them the comp in 99.

If there is anyone we need right now, it’s Anderson. The bloke has been working around the clock snapping up young guns from all over the Country. Pay won’t die wondering having Anderson there mark my words. The only way is up fellas. It may not come over night but it will come. Beware of the wounded dog!!
I like Anderson, I’m saying he is the man. Just don’t think Pay is up to the task as head coach is all.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Not me....he was shit for 3 seasons and a Leopard don't change their spots.
I couldn't believe (in a bad way) that he got resigned!!!
If you only followed your own logic, you would have seen signing Foran was a fucking idiotic idea. He has literally been shit for three seasons, himself.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I like Anderson, I’m saying he is the man. Just don’t think Pay is up to the task as head coach is all.
Well, the only way to find out is to let him coach for the duration of his contract. He at least deserves that. Then we can judge.
1000 voting football club members went to ballot, the new board got in, the new board think Pay is the right man for the job, if all fails and the club doesn't look like it's going in the right direction and members are not happy then the board will be voted out. Personally, and this is just my personal opinion, the new board will need at least 3-4 years to get us to where we need to be.
We don't want to keep sacking coaches all the time. If we sack him this year then the new coach that takes over may not like the squad and will probably want to bring in the players he wants, then we're going around in circles trying to offload players again.
We don't want that, before progress takes place the club and roster need to be settled. If Pay can't learn off one of the greats in Anderson, then I'm sure there will be changes.

I just got a gut feeling this new board is a proactive board, unlike the previous regime.
They have a genuine plan and will stick to it. They won't be influenced by player mangers, other clubs, the media etc.
So far I like what I'm seeing. But just like anything in life, time will tell.

Last edited:

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think its a bit too early to fully judge Pay. This isnt his roster and to be fair its an ordinary roster at best. He wasnt the one who signed Foran and Woods.

The Mbye experiment at fullback hasnt really worked so that is one thing I would change. I actually think Hopoate is a better ball player than Mbye at the back on those sweep plays so I would be putting him back there. But I can understand why Pay tried it. Our attack in the past few years has been diabolical so it was worth a try. It just hasnt worked and if Mbye is staying for the rest of the year then he should go back to being a running five eighth or a centre

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Kurt Baptiste, Billy Brittain, Manaia Cherrington, Josh Chudleigh, Robbie Farah, Craig Garvey, Harry Grant, Siliva Havili, Cameron King, Apisai Koroisau, Issac Luke, Dylan Phythian, Kaysa Pritchard, Mitch Rein, James Segeyaro, Ryan Simpkins, Cameron Smith, Tom Starling, Jazz Tevaga, Jake Turpin, Zac Woolford

just to add, all these players are off contract at the end of the season, so why, did he sign LICHAA to three years? Why no give him a go at 1 to prove himself?
Bearing in mind our salary cap issues, half of them are far too expensive & some are useless.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Anderson is helping him out mate, nothing wrong with that considering Pay is a rookie coach. Both have the best interest of the club at heart.
I’m telling you we are very lucky to have Chris Anderson back at the club. Anderson has won a premiership with the dogs as a player and also coached us to a premiership, only he and the late great Steve Folkes have done that. Anderson is a smart cookie, a two time premiership winning coach, former Australian test coach and has tonnes of experience in rebuilding a club.

When Anderson took over in 1990, a stack of experienced players left the club at the end of that year, the likes of Langmack, Farrar, Gillespie, Tunks, Alchin, Thomas etc, Tony Currie left at the end of 88, Steve Mortimer retired and the rebuild in 1991 was well and truly underway. Young kids like Polla-Mounter, Gillies, Pay, Reardon, Relf, McCracken, J & D Smith we’re brought through and the team was built around Lamb. A couple of years later we we’re minor premiers in 93 & 94 and won the comp in 95.

Let’s not forget what Anderson brought to Melbourne. He helped start up the Storm and won them the comp in 99.

If there is anyone we need right now, it’s Anderson. The bloke has been working around the clock snapping up young guns from all over the Country. Pay won’t die wondering having Anderson there mark my words. The only way is up fellas. It may not come over night but it will come. Beware of the wounded dog!!
I agree with all that but would add that the Storm (along with the GF opponent) were both given extra in their salary cap to get established. Melbourne Storm were effectively a merger of Perth, Adelaide & Hunter as a player base.

froggy

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
1000 voting football club members went to ballot, the new board got in, the new board think Pay is the right man for the job.
I'm not sure that is the case. Remember they didn't appoint him. Also, there was no way they were getting rid of him in their first season in charge no matter what.

However if the style of play doesn't change and we win the spoon there is no way anyone is waiting 3 years to try something different.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'm not sure that is the case. Remember they didn't appoint him. Also, there was no way they were getting rid of him in their first season in charge no matter what.

However if the style of play doesn't change and we win the spoon there is no way anyone is waiting 3 years to try something different.
Correct, they didn't appoint him, but they do like him and think he's the right man for the job.
Unfortunately time is required, it's just the way it is.

Also, regarding the board, voting members only have 18 months to decide whether to keep them or not.
Voting takes place every two years, if they get another term then they are there for a total of 4 years.

But the question is, what do the voting members do in 18 months time?
Say we get the spoon this year and then next year we finish 9th(two years in a row missing out on the top 8), by then it will be time for the next board elections, considering Pay is still coach and they extended his deal for another year.
Do we get rid of them based on not making the 8 two years in a row, or do we look at it from strategic point of view knowing that we are improving?
It will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

froggy

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Correct, they didn't appoint him, but they do like him and think he's the right man for the job.

Also, regarding the board, voting members only have 18 months to decide whether to keep them or not.
Voting takes place every two years, if they get another term then they are there for a total of 4 years.

Say we get the spoon this year and then next year we finish 9th(two years in a row missing out on the top 8), by then it will be time for the next board elections, considering Pay is still coach and they extended his deal for another year.
Do we get rid of them based on not making the 8 two years in a row, or do we look at it from strategic point of view knowing that we are improving?
I think we all know we are in for a rebuild. The important thing is the pace of the rebuild.

Parramatta have had one big rebuild from 1986. We need to see signs of improvement this year. I know he has only got the cattle to work with now but lets not forget that cattle consists of 10 players that have played for their country.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think we all know we are in for a rebuild. The important thing is the pace of the rebuild.

Parramatta have had one big rebuild from 1986. We need to see signs of improvement this year. I know he has only got the cattle to work with now but lets not forget that cattle consists of 10 players that have played for their country.

Agree, pace is important, but also you don't want it to be a band aid solution either. Nuturing players coming through the ranks, juniors with a mixture of some really astute buying is the goal, but that takes time.

Regarding the players that have played for their country, the important word in that line is "HAVE", but not anymore. Apart from maybe one or two current test players in our side that are walk up starts.
Blocka Roach, Mal Meninga, Alan Langer and Glen Lazarous also played for their country, but does that mean they are good enough to play now?

Have a close look at our squad. We either have "has beens" or players that have come through that are not good enough(i.e Montoya).....we have only a couple in between which is your sweet spot, like for example RFM, who is neither a "Has Been" nor is he someone that has come through that is not good enough. He's at a good age, he's playing well, still alot of potential in him and not ridiculously expensive...that's the balance that we should be aiming for. Just using RFM as an example.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

We need to finish the knock down before we can rebuild. We won’t see any signs of improvement this year. With this roster.

I know a lot on here don’t agree. But we are putting in nearly every week. Reality is we are just not good enough to close games out.

So many players that are on big money are not what they once might have been. Poor management, poor player recruitment and retention has seen players be offered contracts the players have jumped at and you cannot blame them for that.

The rebuilding needs to be a 3-4 year plan. Fill the team with young potential. 2 year deals max. See who works and who doesn’t.

The similarities with Parramatta are real. Their failure to land a decent number 7 after Sterlo still haunts them. We haven’t even looked for a top class 7 since Shifty. The spine is where we need to get recruitment right with quality. The rest will work itself out.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
All Haslers agents should be cleaned out ...out with the disease !!!

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
If you only followed your own logic, you would have seen signing Foran was a fucking idiotic idea. He has literally been shit for three seasons, himself.
Mate give it a rest with Foran will you.
He has played 12 games with us.
The first 5 rounds he was fine, since then yes shit because he has been injured.
And I would bet my left one he has played injured because the coach asked him to.
Yes it may be a disaster but for me too early to Judge.
Also I don't watch a huge amount of non bulldogs games so didn't see much of Foran last 3 years (didn't he sit out a fair chunck).
But as for Lichaa he has been torturing me every weekend for 3 & half years.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I still find it difficult to understand the logic in the criticism of Dean Pay.
He has coached for 12 games and won 25%. Thats not great, but in almost every other game, we were very competitive.
We stuffed up a few results with poor play, and a few were stuffed up by poor refereeing.
He also has to work with the team he has inherited. Its not a top class team by any standard, so his results havnt been that bad.
He is desperately trying to steady the ship. He has no alternative but to ship out a few over paid players and recruit younger guys.
The only players he recruited were Priest and Lichaa. So dont blame him for the other failures.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

We may end up going backwards to go forwards purely on the basis of the salary cap debacle. I'd be surprised if we made the finals in 2019. 9th would be a good result for mine.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We haven’t even looked for a top class 7 since Shifty. The spine is where we need to get recruitment right with quality. The rest will work itself out.
They looked & found Foran! oops

Status
Not open for further replies.