The case for Aaron Woods

Status
Not open for further replies.

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
exactly I was about to type.

every single penalty he has given , led to an opposition try in the next set.
Sick of this shit argument and constant Woods bashing. Yeah he might concede a penalty here and there but most forwards do. Our defence needs to be better and stopping try’s off the back of it. Our forwards are busting their arse and laying the platform for good field position. It’s our backs who are conceding try’s out wide and failing to score off the back off good field position. Woods isn’t our problem , in fact he is one of our only positives.

Grimace

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Yes Woods is on too much but that's not his fault and who do we replace him with. I think we should keep in he is a test player and geez we will be short on forwards if he goes

DogfanQld

Waterboy
Reaction score
We don’t have anyone good enough to fill his role
As
Prop
We have a good enough foot ward pack to
Won the comp, stop complaining so much about him his stats are not too bad and concentrate of building our spine that’s where our in ability to score points comes from
FFS

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Lol what a horrifically deceptive set of stats. No consideration given to the stats which he actually fucks us with eg. errors and penalties conceded. Also no perspective given in the area of minutes played.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sick of this shit argument and constant Woods bashing. Yeah he might concede a penalty here and there but most forwards do. Our defence needs to be better and stopping try’s off the back of it. Our forwards are busting their arse and laying the platform for good field position. It’s our backs who are conceding try’s out wide and failing to score off the back off good field position. Woods isn’t our problem , in fact he is one of our only positives.
What games have you been watching,he’s a total waste of space,Rhys Martin,renouf toomaga,on $200k a year and much better options,

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Anger is an energy, get him some attitude.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
The failure of Aaron Woods at the club has almost as much to do with the coach as the player himself.
However I does appear disinterested and lazy on the field at times.
But the reason he has been shopped is they know he should command all his $800k salary from another club.
Although I'm fucked if I know Cronulla can afford him?

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Whilst his stats indicate he's playing well... we should all be turned off that method given how much we hated Hasler for it. Woods plays with zero energy and passion

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What games have you been watching,he’s a total waste of space,Rhys Martin,renouf toomaga,on $200k a year and much better options,
What games are you watching. Toomoga has potential but seriously he has done nothing impressive in first grade as yet. Martin good player for the future however he is playing on the edge and not in the middle - so you are comparing apples and oranges there and it’s not a fair or good comparison. Only thing Woods is guilty of is being part of an expensive front row that has seriously lopsided our salary cap. We loose Woods this year and we will be in a worse predicament than we currently are. Foran is the player on big money at our club that is not giving us near enough value. Yeah unfortunatly we will have to loose Woods to another club to give us cap space to sign some backs and fill our top 30. But people blaming him and his form for our predicament is laughable. Our halves , Hooker and outside backs are where we are not competing with our opposition week after week, not our forwards.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
With so many on here death riding Woods out of our club I thought I would share the below information. Stats are for 8 of the top rated props in the game. You will see that Woods is not going as bad as people might think.
You have to remember that if we let him go we will have to replace him and the prop market is hot. Boyd and Paulo just got over $650k each and they play for 35 minutes.

Missed Tackles

Vaughan 12
Woods 15
Klemmer 15
Fifita 16
Napa 26​
G Burgess 27
Campbell Gillard 29
Ryan James 36
Runs
Fifita 214
Klemmer 213
Woods 174
Vaughan 161
James 123
Campbell Gillard 121
Burgess 115
Napa 111
Offloads
Fifita 42
Woods 22
Klemmer 11
James 9
Vaughan 8
Gillard 4
Napa 3
Burgess 2

Now there are a lot of other stats as well but these are important stats for the middle guys.

I think he is not the worst out there and we are crazy to let him go considering we have lost Kasiano and Graham recently in the same position. Our prop depth is no way as good as it used to be.
Unfortunately the most important stats are his dicipline and dropped balls at crucial times of the game. From what i have seen his involvement with just those two stats only have lost games and if the dogs were competitve this year that would be ok but there not.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I had very little expectation when he was signed, everyone knew we paid him too much, Hasler and Dib were desperate to sign someone.

I didn't feel excited or think he was going to make a difference. His comments after signing also weren't good, he basically said he probably would have stuck with tigers if he knew Cleary was going to coach.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Woods wouldn't get bashed if he played as per his price tag.

Klemmer was as shit as him earlier in the season but he has picked up his game lately hence why no klemmer bashing.

With big dollars always come bigger scrutiny.
Klemmer is improving, balsa is getting worse.

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m torn on this, honestly am....

Against:
His stats are not bad
He’s an experienced prop and once we let him go we ONLY have Klemmer of note. I just hope we all realise this and don’t bitch. Tolman is a plodder, and I’m sorry, Faulolo to me is nothing. To’omoga could be but is so very raw. Talau needs to lift his game.
Who do we get that isn’t going to cost coin we don’t have that is effective??? Remember Roosters are chasing a prop let alone cashed up Newcastle and Parra...

For letting him:

Silly penalties and mistakes
Just doesn’t appear to have grunt
Last in
Can get good money for him. Fuck Cronulla though, our board better make them pay FULL FREIGHT!!

Reality is though, there is no case, he’s gone!!

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
That's really the thing about all this from our point of view. Who replaces him? If you don't think you need two good props look at the rorters. They have billion dollar backline and butterflies for forwards. They have about as much chance of winning the comp as we do. If you don't have big men up front who can get the yardage and have at least one of them pop an offload you can't build a team. We will end up with Klemmer and that's it. We have no forwards with an offload other than RFM and he is only just a FG player at the moment. The others, maybe in a couple of years RT might get there but he is a benchie at least until midway through next season. Tolman does a job but he is not big enough and Fualolo is a younger version of Kas without the offload. So we will shortly have a pack full of grunts and little skill. that means the opp will not have to worry about half our side when we have the ball.

Hulk76

Kennel Established
Reaction score
How does he carry the tigers forward pack on his own for several years then come here and not perform? I think he is going ok, it's just not showing because we as a team are shot and he has no support players around him ready for his offload. It's like Pay hasn't even given it a thought and said hey fellas, you know woodsy has an offload, so I want you following his hit ups so when he pops one out, we have an opportunity to score or get some second phase play and make some good metres. I hate to say it, bit I think we are a poorly coached team.

gildaddy

Waterboy
Reaction score
His stats aren’t the best, but they are nowhere near bad, just remember, our famous duo, butter fingers Hoppa and Montoya Houdini,21 or 22 tries so far on their wing, u half that figure and we are in the 8, woods is the least of our problems right now

Valley Viking

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
It’s not about having a case for or against, it’s about having a cap balanced squad. This administration realises the mistakes made in the past. Des invested heavily in forwards as he thought that would suit his fucked up game plan. I think we are heading towards a Melbourne Storm based model, invest heavily in your spine, grow your own, have succession plans in place and pick up some astute signings along the way. I think Woods is just a victim of circumstance.

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Watching a game live at the ground you can see he gets lazy in defence. Countless times from marker he wouldnt slide and 'shut the gate' in defence. Against the tigers he done it numerous times allowing them to gain really easy metres and create momentum for the opposition.
No stat tells us when a player slackens off and creates holes. Cant be a missed tackle if you dont put yourself into position to make it

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You make a good point about the reneging perception.
We might be gaining an unwanted stigma of been a place where as a player this club will not be your only one in a season.
Woods has been at the club 5 mins and it would almost be unprecedented to move him now. Sure he hasn’t lived up to his billing but I honestly believe if we move him others will think twice before signing with us. Woods signed a contract with us in good faith. I’m sure he had other options and we didn’t have to offer him that much money. We also don’t know what affect doing a dirty on him will have on his buddy Klemmer.

If we are cap compliant we should just honour the deals we have. We should only have 4 expensive players next year anyway in Foran, Klemmer, Jackson and Woods

Status
Not open for further replies.