Dean Pay - Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry dude, but Newcastle did not have the Australian front row, while a busted half, still experienced and intelligent and a explosive fullback.

The point I’m making is, this team shouldn’t be travelling as bad as they are. And I have doubts on dean if he can deliver with what is a harder task with a team of newbies.

Cogger was under brown, and he got dropped for lamb after a few games. Brown has coached more nrl games and I believe he won a super league title.

I’m all for potentially wrecking the team but we should be trading up not sideways and downwards. Nick Meaney, I haven’t seen highlights , but the few isp highlights I have seen he hasn’t shown much.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It’s really interesting the board has decided to potentially tear down the team as opposed to letting dean pay go.

I’ve always said we should not be languishing at the bottom but instead we are a top 8 side.

Anyway, what can dean pay deliver with a team of potentials if he can’t even deliver with a team of solid first graders? It’ll only get worse if we tear down the walls of this place. Pls note, Newcastle had no stock, and were literally a team of isp players. It wasn’t until they hit the market hard for Pearce, ponga, griffin and Connor that they managed to get some degree of success. It was a full spinal transplants. We are going the opposite direction....

Its taken up until now for Moses to play support. Maybe it’s moses being lazy or maybe it was pay saying to him to play halfback and fullback.

It’s taken up until now for jmk to be shifted from the halves.

The bloke doesn’t know what he wants. And I think it’s really weird the board and ceo have backed him like this, when he hasn’t showed any first grade success in the past.

Buddy the team we have right now is shit!

Pay has a better chance of performing as a coach with a team of young players with potential then players who are over the hill and getting picked on reputation..

I’m excited we’re we heading because since 2004 bar 2012 we haven’t really been a team who could smash teams and really push hard for a premiership...

The club needed this

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I cant think of anyone who has flourished whilst working under Stuart.
Dean Pay has coached a lot of young SOO players and has been very successful with them.
He has won a lot of the SOO clashes, so he has got the ability.
However, it doesnt matter how good he is, he cannot perform miracles,
and it would take a miracle for this team to ever challenge for a premiership.
Its common knowledge that the previous coach inflicted almost terminal damage to the club.
It will take a while for that damage to be repaired.
I understand that plans are in place to rebuild the balance of the team, and to get on the right side of the ledger.
It will just take time, so be patient and give support.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Every team lifts to beat the Dogs, that makes hard games every week, Im seeing us as competitive.

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
OP makes a good point, someone from the backoffice has spilled this narrative to the journos of a club in crisis, bad contracts and back-ended deals. In reality the squad as it is currently composed should be edging for a top 8 spot, not languishing 1 win from the spoon.

Truthfully, no one really knows how good a coach Pay is yet, he hasn't shown much at all over this season.

The issue is that, if the board lets Pay build a team in his mould and it doesn't perform, what then?

For this reason, they will give him ample time to succeed.

The information being leaked out of the club regarding the salary cap situation is to lower fans expectations and buy them all time by letting us know 'the rebuild will take 2-3 years'

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dean has inherited an absolute mess no coach would willingly take on.

Given the circumstances, it might be unfair after Pay's tenure to say he was a failure, sack him, then give a new coach the salary cap he was due.

I think he might surprise us in the next 2 years with his recruitment of young talented players.
Nathan Brown at Newcastle is a prime example of what could be achieved. They allowed him to do a job and not judge him after a couple years, but re-signed him and build for the future. If we get rid of Pay without allowing him to build from the bottom up it would be stepping in the wrong direction. Pay needs to be around for at least 5 years to get us back to where we should be and he should be allowed this time to prove himself, not after one or two years.

I believe we can transform bigger and quicker than Newcastle because we are a bigger club on many levels and if players see us heading in the right direction they will want to come and play for us. Stability is the key right now.

Pay has proved himself when working with young and upcoming players during SOO u20's when he won six series straight. I can see now why he wants to blood new players from ISP and recruit young talent which he is currently doing.

We have to get rid of the Hasler brainwashed players, it's a must. A new culture and playing style has to be instilled into the fresh minds of players coming through and into the team. Dean can only achieve that by starting fresh. In the case of our current team we are struggling to change style and shake off bad habits inherited by Haslers style. As the saying goes " you can't teach an old dog new tricks". And we are now suffering for that.

Let's give Pay and the new board time to clean up the mess and back what changes are being made without judgement until they have been given the opportunity to show what they are capable of. This can't be done in a couple years.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
So is this a sack Pay thread?

Just lol. You think keeping the current side as it is and sacking Pay is the answer? Ice is a bad drug lol.

Its not like worthy coaches are growing on trees anyway. Oh i know, we need the kennel solution "Throw a big bag of money at [insert your choice of coach] and they are sure to come" lol.

Last edited:

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Our club is a basket case now.
Watched the ISP game yesterday and seriously they just couldn't be fucked if they won or lost.
At least that's how it looked.
Pay completely ballsed up the preseason.
And the coach & players had/have a ready made excuse to fail with Des getting sacked, the board election & all the other off field drama.
The effort does seem to be there, i just don't think the belief is.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Our club is a basket case now.
Watched the ISP game yesterday and seriously they just couldn't be fucked if they won or lost.
At least that's how it looked.
Pay completely ballsed up the preseason.
And the coach & players had/have a ready made excuse to fail with Des getting sacked, the board election & all the other off field drama.
The effort does seem to be there, i just don't think the belief is.
That’s a bit harsh

I watched the same game and thought we put in a good effort but ran out of legs

Lost 4 players (including half our spine)

Got hammered in the penalties

Defended our line for majority second half

I liked what I saw from likes of Ogden, Lewis, Anderson and Bergamain to name a few...these guys are our future

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
That’s a bit harsh

I watched the same game and thought we put in a good effort but ran out of legs

Lost 4 players (including half our spine)

Got hammered in the penalties

Defended our line for majority second half

I liked what I saw from likes of Ogden, Lewis, Anderson and Bergamain to name a few...these guys are our future
Bottom line they lost when they should have one.
Defensive effort on the last try just pathetic.
I'm not making excuses anymore.
For a start if we lose players should be banned from talking to the media until we win.
THAT SHOULD BE RULE NO.1
Our club has a bunch of overpaid, over entitled bludgers in it's ranks.
Right now, we are rotten to the core.

Last edited:

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It’s really interesting the board has decided to potentially tear down the team as opposed to letting dean pay go.

I’ve always said we should not be languishing at the bottom but instead we are a top 8 side.

Anyway, what can dean pay deliver with a team of potentials if he can’t even deliver with a team of solid first graders? It’ll only get worse if we tear down the walls of this place. Pls note, Newcastle had no stock, and were literally a team of isp players. It wasn’t until they hit the market hard for Pearce, ponga, griffin and Connor that they managed to get some degree of success. It was a full spinal transplants. We are going the opposite direction....

Its taken up until now for Moses to play support. Maybe it’s moses being lazy or maybe it was pay saying to him to play halfback and fullback.

The bloke doesn’t know what he wants. And I think it’s really weird the board and ceo have backed him like this, when he hasn’t showed any first grade success in the past.
You seriously blaming Pay? We should have basically been 6 points further up the laddder then what we are so aren't as bad as the ladder suggests.

Regardless of that we are still in dyer need of building a tough hardworking culture so tear it down and get a team that you can build a culture around... Its clear Mbye is not a part of a culture Pay and Bulldogs want which is why he is on the way out.

Newcastle brought in rookies and had a couple of shocker seasons but the hardworking culture and ethic they built during that time has made them what they are now... I'd say Pearce and Ponga thrive on the culture not necessarily their talent.

Now add Lewis.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I don't trust Pay at all. Too many mistakes and hasn't learned from many of them. Tactically he also looks poor and just comes across as another Ricky Stuart. Pay needs to make some changes to his coaching staff for next season.

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don’t agree at all I feel if reported is right about mybe and woods we will have a strong team in 2 years and I believe the more we clean out as much players as possible from des ball we will be good

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
With talks Jackson, woods and Klemmer not making nsw goes to show how bad the team is going overall... yes stats favour both woods and Klemmer but we have 0 impact from our front row... look at rabbits, as much as I hate them the burger bros run hard and play like the dogs of war used to. Tear the opposition front row in half. They run hard, tackle harder. Klemmer and woods look like polders next to them this year. If you want to be successful we need some impact. We still get the ball down field with the currrent squad but then we have the other issue of our backs not doing shit with it. Our halves look lost and the whole team in general are dumb as dog shit.

I’d be happy to keep Klemmer as he does enough but if we really want to be a threat we need to get rid of that lazy prick woods and get young big bodies who have no fear.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I don't trust Pay at all. Too many mistakes and hasn't learned from many of them. Tactically he also looks poor and just comes across as another Ricky Stuart. Pay needs to make some changes to his coaching staff for next season.
Totally agree for once. Penna and Georgallis cant cut it in the big time.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The squad needs to be cleaned out Thanos style and it starts with getting rid of the deadwood taking up all our cap space.

Gubanaculum

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Penna just another manly dick who's record is the worst of any 20s coach so we bring him in to our club wtf????

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We’re not a top 8 side.
We don’t have a player in any position, who’s the best in the game.
Our team is full of average-below average players and maybe one or two above average.
No team constructed like that is going to win shit.
Pay is doing the right thing by disassembling this farce of a team.
In our current situation, all we can do is gamble on some youngsters and hope we have a couple of stars.
Jesus, with Craig Bellamy as assistant, couldn’t win a comp with this team.

MitchNewton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

You make it sound like we are a team of world beaters.

Status
Not open for further replies.