Dean Pay - Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just seen on Fox Sports News that Dean has been fined $25,000. For a first offense that is deplorable. How many times has Ricky Stuart been fined and to what extent? Any non bulldogs fans on here think we are anything but flavour of the month.
I'd say one poker machine made that in a day at the league's club..chicken feed.

What we should do is the next time Sutton refs our next game we should boycott in protest for the Teflon referees and to stick it up the NRL.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
$25K fine - Dogs have 5 days to respond.

I read this on TripleM Brisbane's FB page. Some of the comments agree with Pay - maybe not everyone up here is a Gronks fan after all.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
We now have lots of motivation to smash these fantasy ponies later in this season. Absolutely certain that at least one of the Sutton brothers will have the whistle when we next meet them.

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
DEAN PAY

Scratch the surface of Dean Pay’s stunning press conference attack on the officials last week and it starts to look like cracks are appearing in the rookie coach’s grip on a side that has enough talent to be doing far better.

The off-season arrivals of Aaron Woods and Kieran Foran were supposed to herald a new dawn for a club that has been dogged by the controversial methods of their last coach Des Hasler and the sacking and resulting legal action that followed.

While many fans would be happier with how their side is attacking this year, the NRL will always be a results business and at the moment Pay isn’t getting enough of them from his side.

In fact, according to the Fox Sports Lab, the Bulldogs two-win start is the worst the club has had since 1996, which was the last time they managed just two wins in their first nine games.

A club with a history as proud as Canterbury’s won’t put up with statistics like those for long and if Pay’s side can’t turn things around with a win against the Eels on Friday night 2018 will become historic for all the wrong reasons, making it the club’s worst start to the season since 1964, when they failed to win a game in the first 10 rounds (nine losses and a draw).

If anything playing a side like Parramatta puts additional pressure on the Bulldogs to find a win given Brad Arthur’s side sits one place below them on the ladder in 16th, also having managed just two wins to start the season.

While Arthur has got the runs on the board to survive for a while yet, Pay is yet to prove himself as an NRL coach and times are starting to get desperate.

From foxsports

Arazern

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I think Dean Pay is doing the best he can, he is trying undo what terrible coaching has been done to our team the last 4 years. I thought we were completely robbed and if he had not said anything at the press release I would on thrown my phone at the wall. Good on you Dean lead with the fire we want our players to have maybe time to yell and scream at half time if we are behind and give a good old spray at those players needing it.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
What a load of rubbish that article from foxsports is. Pay, a first year coach is under more pressure that Brad Arthur who has been coaching the same team since 2014 and achieved nothing except one finals series where they lost both games.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I think Dean Pay is doing the best he can, he is trying undo what terrible coaching has been done to our team the last 4 years. I thought we were completely robbed and if he had not said anything at the press release I would on thrown my phone at the wall. Good on you Dean lead with the fire we want our players to have maybe time to yell and scream at half time if we are behind and give a good old spray at those players needing it.
Yes i agree. Took guts for him to say what he did. The truth. NRL is in a cocoon. Have got this idea to protect refs no matter what is Dead business. Run buy fake people who have no idea on business. Getting the public off side is just one example. Pay needs our support and his passion needs to instilled in his players. Most off all moses. To me he just seems to except losing as a habit.

PoundHounds

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Crawley on 360 was saying Pay and Bulldogs are clutching at straws and need to take ownership.
Seriously...he's a rookie coach dealing with a horrid rub of the green.
Where is the talk of two brothers officiating and a third appraising their performance on these shows?
WTF? What business let alone sport thats subject to gambling allows that?

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Crawley on 360 was saying Pay and Bulldogs are clutching at straws and need to take ownership.
Where is the talk of two brothers officiating and a third appraising their performance on these shows?
Crawley is either on the corrupt payroll or doesnt look at stats which we all have seen posted today on sutton the cheat

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to say I am more excited at watching the new guys playing first grade this year than I was watching any game last year with the crap style and stubbornness from a coach to make changes. You have to give it to Pay, he is allowing these players to prove themselves. It's not always going to work out and criticism can be over exaggerated by some fans. Pay is trying new and different things with what he has to work with and for that I've got to say well done.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I have to say I am more excited at watching the new guys playing first grade this year than I was watching any game last year with the crap style and stubbornness from a coach to make changes. You have to give it to Pay, he is allowing these players to prove themselves. It's not always going to work out and criticism can be over exaggerated by some fans. Pay is trying new and different things with what he has to work with and for that I've got to say well done.
Oh for sure, having new guys there encourages fans well myself anyway. They have to be given a chance if they dont work out well back to isp. Better than watching same stale stuff. Pay should let the overpaid players go start from scratch with young players pay them a small amount at least there keen.
With our salary cap restrictions go for it. I enjoy watching isp some good young players there.

ThePedigree

Blue Ribbon
Reaction score
I’m going to try upload a clip. He was 100% spot on! Our team on paper is better than most and they’re playing like shit.! Pay should be focused on that. Be a realist like Bellamy for example. If the storm play like shit he will always say so. Not like our last coach and present one that always say we’re improving etc when we are clearly shit.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Isn't Crawley another dud who hasn't even played a game of footy in his life?

It's like a case of "if you can't do it, write about it"

ThePedigree

Blue Ribbon
Reaction score
Isn't Crawley another dud who hasn't even played a game of footy in his life?

It's like a case of "if you can't do it, write about it"
Do you watch NRL 360 Tank? I actually respect his opinion. Especially over that idiot Kent. Crawleys not that bad

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Do you watch NRL 360 Tank? I actually respect his opinion. Especially over that idiot Kent. Crawleys not that bad
Can't watch it because both Kent and the other wanker piss me off to much lol

Is he soft spoken and goes on the Sunday footy show? I may be confusing journos lol

ThePedigree

Blue Ribbon
Reaction score
Can't watch it because both Kent and the other wanker piss me off to much lol

Is he soft spoken and goes on the Sunday footy show? I may be confusing journos lol
Chipmunk looking dude

Here’s the clip about midway. Had more to say about other coaches like Bellamy not using the refs as an excuse when there team is not performing and I totally agree with him. You can’t blame the refs when your team is playing shit footy. We have no excuse. We wanted less structure, we wanted Des gone, we wanted a quality half in Foran and we got potatoes in 2018 instead. Foran has probably stopped running the ball and getting hammered like he was in the opening rounds because none of the players were running off him. How the fk is a player going to get put through a hole when Foran takes it to the line if players like Mbye jog around like lost cattle. /rant

edit: i cant seem to be able to upload the clip. Not sure why.... Can anyone help. Was always able to do it before.

Last edited:

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s really interesting the board has decided to potentially tear down the team as opposed to letting dean pay go.

I’ve always said we should not be languishing at the bottom but instead we are a top 8 side.

Anyway, what can dean pay deliver with a team of potentials if he can’t even deliver with a team of solid first graders? It’ll only get worse if we tear down the walls of this place. Pls note, Newcastle had no stock, and were literally a team of isp players. It wasn’t until they hit the market hard for Pearce, ponga, griffin and Connor that they managed to get some degree of success. It was a full spinal transplants. We are going the opposite direction....

Its taken up until now for Moses to play support. Maybe it’s moses being lazy or maybe it was pay saying to him to play halfback and fullback.

It’s taken up until now for jmk to be shifted from the halves.

The bloke doesn’t know what he wants. And I think it’s really weird the board and ceo have backed him like this, when he hasn’t showed any first grade success in the past.

Last edited:

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
We are not a top 8 side.....We don’t have a recognised halfback or hooker and the backline is relying on 2 33 year olds to provide any form of threat. Then we have close to $2.5 million invested in a rookie fullback, broken down half and a former rep front rower playing well below his best. A clean out is badly needed.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Dean has inherited an absolute mess no coach would willingly take on.

Given the circumstances, it might be unfair after Pay's tenure to say he was a failure, sack him, then give a new coach the salary cap he was due.

I think he might surprise us in the next 2 years with his recruitment of young talented players.

Wayne Rooney

Kennel Established
Reaction score
What the fuck is he going to deliver with a broken halfback, a rookie hooker, a fringe first grade 5/8 and the slowest right sided attack and defense in the history of the game, not to mention players on huge backended contracts who are past their best (i.e Eastwood, Tolman)

Its taken this and that. It took Hasler almost 3 fucken years to drop Tony Williams and Lichaa.

How are we going the opposite with "spinal transplants"? We have copious amounts of backended contracts with a poor spine and we must wait to make available salary cap funds

How long was Brown forced to play ISP players until Newcastle had space in their cap to recruite the likes of Ponga, Watson, Pearce and the likes?

Status
Not open for further replies.