Numbers don't lie: The Origin case for Aaron Woods

Status
Not open for further replies.

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you ask most people who should be the first front rower picked for NSW, the answer you'll likely get is Reagan Campbell-Gillard.

And it's hard to argue with that given his impressive start to the year for the Penrith Panthers.

But how misleading is individual form? Is it affected by perception of how well your team is going?

For instance, Aaron Woods is almost the forgotten man when it comes to Blues selection.

But is that a reflection of Canterbury's woes or is he genuinely struggling?

It looks like Campbell-Gillard is running harder, tackling stronger and having a far more meaningful impact on the game than Woods.

It's as if he's making 42 metres or four runs more per game. Like he's missed 23 less tackles or offloaded 18 more times this year.

Well, turns out looks can be deceiving. It's actually Woods who is on the dominant end of those figures.

Granted, statistics don't always paint a picture of the truth. But they also don't lie.

Campbell-Gillard is averaging 8.9 runs per game for 98.1 metres with a total of 386.8 post contact metres for the season.

Compare that to Woods, who is averaging 13.4 runs per game for 140 metres with a total of 581.2 post contact metres in 11 games this year. Yet it looks inevitable that he will miss out with Paul Vaughan, Jack de Belin and Campbell-Gillard expected to make their State of Origin debut in the June 6 opener.

Campbell-Gillard has missed a staggering 37 tackles this year, while Woods has missed just 15.

There's also been pressure on David Klemmer to hold on to his spot but his numbers are superior to both Campbell-Gillard and Woods – or any NSW forward for that matter – averaging a mammoth 173.8 metres per game this year.

Woods has also had slightly quicker play-the-balls than Campbell-Gillard this season, averaging 3.27 seconds compared with the Panthers prop's 3.51.

By no means is this a suggestion that Campbell-Gillard shouldn't be picked, because he deserves to add State of Origin honours to the international honours he racked up last year.

But it seems as though the fortunes of respective teams somewhat dilute perception of how a player is actually performing.

Take Andrew Fifita for example. He's once again being touted as the best prop in the game on the back of five straight wins for the Sharks, but his numbers over the past five rounds aren't too dissimilar to his start to the year.

Now there's talk about Fifita playing game one and three, despite pledging his allegiance to Tonga and will miss the second game of the series as a result.

Given the way Fittler has spoken in the past and the values he seems to be basing his team on, it will be extraordinary if he jeopardises what he is trying to build by selecting Fifita.

It's almost as if the Blues have used his form spike to detract attention from all the rookies they are about to unearth in the series opener at the Melbourne Cricket Ground.

One of those was expected to be Curtis Scott, but his brain explosion at AAMI Park – where he punched Dylan Walker – has cost him any chance of partnering Storm teammate Josh Addo-Carr on the left edge for NSW.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Did Des Hasler write this? It’s clearly from the book of Tolman is the best Prop in the game according to stats.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Woods isnt the reason we are losing games. the fact close to half the team isnt first grade standard is
Sorry your wrong..... the dogs were good yesterday . In fact I think it’s the best they have played for years. Yes we made mistakes and paid for them but cronulla did as well and got away with them. Won’t go into details there I am sure plenty here on the kennel can tell you. We played as a team yesterday and I would pay to watch them anytime. Are main problem is in the 10 or so rounds this year we have been on the wrong end of the refs. If you look at all our games esp Souths and broncos we led for majority of game till the ref intervened. Many games this year were the same. I wrote our dogs off yesterday thought it would be a slaughter I know this much sharks privately wouldn’t be happy with how they played.. well done doggies as far as woods goes he gave away two penalties one I admit the ref got it wrong as usual and drop a ball they scored 3 Tries. As far as I am concerned he is the one that should be off loaded as he has done that a few times this year and unfortunately our opposition scored from his mistakes.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Sorry your wrong..... the dogs were good yesterday . In fact I think it’s the best they have played for years. Yes we made mistakes and paid for them but cronulla did as well and got away with them. Won’t go into details there I am sure plenty here on the kennel can tell you. We played as a team yesterday and I would pay to watch them anytime. Are main problem is in the 10 or so rounds this year we have been on the wrong end of the refs. If you look at all our games esp Souths and broncos we led for majority of game till the ref intervened. Many games this year were the same. I wrote our dogs off yesterday thought it would be a slaughter I know this much sharks privately wouldn’t be happy with how they played.. well done doggies as far as woods goes he gave away two penalties one I admit the ref got it wrong as usual and drop a ball they scored 3 Tries. As far as I am concerned he is the one that should be off loaded as he has done that a few times this year and unfortunately our opposition scored from his mistakes.
Refs made 3 dud calls in a row yesterday and mayve swung the game. But weve only scored over 20 points once this year. Our hooker and 5/8 arent first grade standard. We dont have enough speed out wide and carry forwsrds who get dominated. Woods Klemmer Jackson and rfm are carrying our pack

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Woods isnt the reason we are losing games. the fact close to half the team isnt first grade standard is
The whole team is to blame, but he does not get a free pass because it is most often his errors that lead to opposition tries. They are generally really fkn dumb, basic errors as well. He should be better than that.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
seriously?

Campbell Gillard shat all over Woods and Klemmer when we played them last.

No wonder Tolman was the best forward in Des's eyes cos his stats were superior to every single forward in the comp. lol

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Refs made 3 dud calls in a row yesterday and mayve swung the game. But weve only scored over 20 points once this year. Our hooker and 5/8 arent first grade standard. We dont have enough speed out wide and carry forwsrds who get dominated. Woods Klemmer Jackson and rfm are carrying our pack
You must be watching a different game to me sorry bud,,,, have you watched our hooker tackle jmk rarely misses... Woods isn’t carrying our pack go through the games and you will see how many mistakes he makes. 3 yesterday which led to Tries. Came on after his last spell gave away a penalty they scored. Tigers are laughing at us

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Im suprised at the numbers.. and the criticism of Woods on here is excessive

Our problem isnt our front row, we havent been dominated upfront and have remained in the tussle and got good metres

Its Our halves/spine that cant setup a root in a brothel.. thats the issue

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Stats queen.
NSW should pick him, just so we can have a couple of weeks without the soft ****.

Haza

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The fact is that if the dogs were sitting in the top 4 there would be no question in having woods and klemmer starting for the blues. But due to the fact the whole team is struggling and we are losing so many games it just makes woods look terrible.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
our problem is 6 and 7, that's all ..

we dominated the sharks yesterday in field position but yet couldn't post enough points ..

we marched up the fields most of the game...........

Kennelnator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
our problem is 6 and 7, that's all ..

we dominated the sharks yesterday in field position but yet couldn't post enough points ..

we marched up the fields most of the game...........
Yeah but noone is helping Foran.

Its mass slack on Foran. We need another $1m marquee half signing to help out our other $1m marquee half player

Thats just mass slack bro

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Win win for me if he gets picked for nsw the stat that’s missing is errors at crucial times in the match that led to points and he does it every fucking week and usually on the set after we score points.If you can’t see woods is a dud you need to point your Labrador towards the tv when your watching the footy

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
What a disgusting way to interpret numbers.

RCG makes the tackles that he makes/attempts actually count. Often comes flying out of the line to inspire his team and overall has more sting in his tackles, which may occassionally affect his tackling stats, but at least makes his presence known. Woods completes most of his tackles and attracts a bit more traffic as blokes don't mind running into the powderpuff.

They've also conveniently left out the error stats for the year which Woods leads resoundingly with 9, compared to RCG's 4. Also just as resounding is Woods' discipline numbers, which stand at a total of 16 penalties conceded for the year to date, compared to RCG's total of 7.

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Woods is a gun. Why he gets bag is beyond me. Most seasons he averages over 150m per game. Gets to the advantage line quicker then any other prop in the game. Offloads while attracting multiple defeners. Has good footwork at the line. Has a quick play the ball. Makes 25-30 taclkes a game while hardly missing any. Has a huge motor. Someone explain to how much more they want him to do?

Our spine and backline need fixing not Woods.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Woods makes meters no doubt.
But he is making errors and can be caught out in defence by quicker guys.
I think he will improve as the season goes on.
As will the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.