Kieran Foran admits he’s not playing well

Status
Not open for further replies.

altair

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
You don't have to remind Kieran Foran how much Canterbury have invested in him and the expectations that come with it.

He's been handed a four-year contract on superstar money, but after 10 rounds of the season he hasn't lived up to that.

He knows that. And he isn't hiding away from it.

Canterbury need Foran to perform at a far higher standard if they are to be competitive throughout his tenure at the club, especially when you consider they won't be able to spend big money on luring players to the club for a couple of years because of salary cap issues.

"I'm not happy with my form, I'm my own harshest critic and I set my standards high," Foran said.

"I know I'm not playing to my ability or the ability the team needs me at; at the moment. I'm realistic, too, and know I've missed a lot of footy [over] the last few years, I'm coming back from a few injuries, so it will take time to find that flow again.

"Playing each week you can build on your game and get stronger. I'm working hard and know if I work hard it will turn eventually."

There's an argument that Foran hasn't been the same player since leaving the Manly Sea Eagles.

A range of personal issues plagued his short stint with the Parramatta Eels, while injuries denied him the chance to have a meaningful impact at the New Zealand Warriors last season.

Foran has played his best football with a halves partner controlling the show, but the roles are reversed at the Bulldogs and the onus is on him to steer the team around the paddock.

"I've been fortunate and privileged during my career to play alongside some great halves," Foran said.

"Now I'm more experienced and the dominant half, I need to be in the 80 every minute, controlling the team and trying to do my bit.

"Being on the ball all the time takes it out of your tank, and especially when you're getting worked over in defence the way I am at the moment.

"I'm getting my fair share of blokes coming at me. It's gone up tenfold. I'm making double the amount of tackles in previous years. It could be a number of things.

''Either they think I'm busted, can't defend or want to tire me out. You just cop it on the chin and work your game around it."

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He is telling us he wants to go back to 5/8.
I was hoping he would succeed as a half and control our team unfortunately it hasn't worked for him yet,
in the meantime Frawley should be the 1/2 and he should go back to 5/8.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The ways he's going I don't know he could see out a 4 year contract. Was never going to be the saviour people were hoping for.

Even he's admitting his issues yet there's still people here willing to blame every player around him.

Vek

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I might be going against the grain here but I think he can do it. He has shown solid effort and passion with his hard runs near the try line or middle of the field, often running harder than our forwards. Problem is, our attck was good infirst two games against tough teams, but once Frawley was dropped, the attacking structure flopped. Sure, Foran is not living up to his pay, but dont forget the offseason wasted by dropping frawely in an already attack deprived team.

It will take time, but I think it will click again in a few rounds. I know, I sound rosy and optimistic, but Ive put my fair share of complaints and ideas (one which is the current spine ;) ) so now I am ok with seeing the structure come together.

Only changes I may want to see is swapping Olive for Montoya, but that depends how the sharks game goes.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
''Either they think I'm busted, can't defend or want to tire me out."

I pick.... d) all of the above :grinning:

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
History speaks for it self, it's a must to have a GUN 1/2 to be a successful team.
As for Frawley he isn't the brilliant half that is needed, but he can and has to play the smart and balanced game that is required of him to free up Foran !

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yes Kieren.
You’re paid massive overs.
Your play is not far off what Frawley has put together on the field.

Sort your shit our and get some fucking results for a club that has basically bet the farm that you’re THE MAN!

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
The writing was on the wall for Foran at the warriors you can’t blame the bloke for taking the deal our club was stupid enough to offer him but he can’t turn his form around his body won’t hold up to the grind we need to move him on as soon as we possibly can but that won’t be for awhile.
Woods and Foran where just poor business decisions made by a very poorly run club at the time

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The writing was on the wall for Foran at the warriors you can’t blame the bloke for taking the deal our club was stupid enough to offer him but he can’t turn his form around his body won’t hold up to the grind we need to move him on as soon as we possibly can but that won’t be for awhile.
Woods and Foran where just poor business decisions made by a very poorly run club at the time
Correct

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
History speaks for it self, it's a must to have a GUN 1/2 to be a successful team.
As for Frawley he isn't the brilliant half that is needed, but he can and has to play the smart and balanced game that is required of him to free up Foran !
I agree. Frawley needs to run the team at 7. Just the basics, kick, pass etc. He’s got a good short kicking game which we’ve seen before and can throw a good pass. Reason he was dropped was purely for his defense. Foran can then play his own game at 6.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I respect his toughness but he was never a 7, always a 5/8. As someone said above, not his fault he hasn't got any help in the form of another half. Not hard to target 1 attacking option.

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Mbye would be the perfect halves partner for Foran but who plays fullback? Mbye will focus on the kicking and his running game. Whereas, Foran focuses on organising the team and making the team play direct. Move Hoppa to fullback and promote either Holland or Olive to the vacant centre spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.