Bulldogs can't bring in stars for three years: CEO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Good time to be a junior at the Dogs. Hopefully Pay can unearth some real talent in the next 3 years.

Bigmous

on the loose
Premium Member
Reaction score
Good time to be a junior at the Dogs. Hopefully Pay can unearth some real talent in the next 3 years.
I'm so looking forward to this...It'll take a few but much the Lakers in the NBA, it'll be an exciting process growing from within.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Situation nowhere near as grim as claimed.

I appreciate they came out and explained it, but it should have been handled the first time all this bullshit came out. Who knows the impact this has had on our playing group with them up in the air about their positions.

That's not entirely correct.

Moses Suli and the Bulldogs agreed to a mutual termination of the contract to release him. We aren't paying a cent of Suli's wage as contract was terminated.

Why we are paying Graham, Kasiano still is ridiculous, that should be over next year.

Finally Lee and Abbey would be on fuck all.
Our playing group should be thankful that they are earning big bucks plying a game and not working in a factory some where or digging holes trying to earn a living on minimum wage.

berries67

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Its good to see the end of the Hasler era. Hopefully never again allow one person so much control, particularly an outsider. I would much rather see a club built around juniors and young recruits and with a coach from our own club. Much more satisfying than buying success with established stars and an outside coach and better for the club in the long term. I also think Dean Pay is the right man for the job in this situation. As a past Bulldog player I think he will have the long term interests of the club at heart. We may be fortunate to have him. Who else would take on the job in the club's current situation? It has been good to see players like Martin and Toomaga get a go in 1st Grade. I am looking forward to following the progress of others coming through the lower grades over the next few years. Even if 1st Grade only win a few more games over the remainder of the season it will be good to see how the rebuild takes place and hopefully we end up with a club we can be proud of in the next few years. Even if we had of won in 2012 it would have been a bit hollow with the coach we had coming from another club the way he did.

Last edited:

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Times are tough for the club, but it will work out OK in the future. Theres a chance to get rid of some dead wood.
The rebuilding will be slow but it will be done with a purpose, not like in the past.
The new board have stated that a governance issue was the cause of the past problems.
Authority was given to the wrong people. Tough as it will be, this scenario probably the best we can hope for.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
If we can't bring stars, we will have to make stars. Do we have enough talent in our ranks?

berries67

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
That is ridiculous. Mbye and any other player will only be paid what clubs are willing to pay. If our previous administration were willing to pay overs for him then good luck to him. The blame is on the decision makers, not the players
I agree the club is ultimately responsible. However, I think players and their Managers manipulate situations and negotiate the best they can for the best deal and are partly to blame. A previous post said Mbye stalled during negotiations. I guess he new Hasler wanted him. Hodkinson was out of favour. Through his manager he drove the price up. Yes you can say good luck to players and their managers for getting their best price and the clubs can choose what they can pay. That's the free market. In Mbye's case the club should have called his bluff and stuck by their price and been prepared for him to walk, but they gambled on potential and paid his price. The club made a few bad mistakes paying too much for a few players. Where does that leave every one now? - with a club that has no money and will do it tough for the next few years. Yes I place most of the blame on the club's administration at that time. However, player and manager greed doesn't help.
I look at Dale Cherry Evans situation at Manly. I don't think the huge amount of money he is on does any one any good. How would the other players feel? Resentful? - particularly when he doesn't play to potential or makes an error. I think similar thoughts could apply to Mbye at the Bulldogs at times.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
if the bulldogs team plane crashes then we could bring in some star players tbh

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This isn’t really news people. When you look at the old regime which stars have we signed since 2011? All we ever did was pay overs to recruit forwards & BMoz. If it wasn’t for the players recruited by Mulholland to who came through u18’s & u20’s what stars would we have at all?

HaceDog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I agree the club is ultimately responsible. However, I think players and their Managers manipulate situations and negotiate the best they can for the best deal and are partly to blame. A previous post said Mbye stalled during negotiations. I guess he new Hasler wanted him. Hodkinson was out of favour. Through his manager he drove the price up. Yes you can say good luck to players and their managers for getting their best price and the clubs can choose what they can pay. That's the free market. In Mbye's case the club should have called his bluff and stuck by their price and been prepared for him to walk, but they gambled on potential and paid his price. The club made a few bad mistakes paying too much for a few players. Where does that leave every one now? - with a club that has no money and will do it tough for the next few years. Yes I place most of the blame on the club's administration at that time. However, player and manager greed doesn't help.
I look at Dale Cherry Evans situation at Manly. I don't think the huge amount of money he is on does any one any good. How would the other players feel? Resentful? - particularly when he doesn't play to potential or makes an error. I think similar thoughts could apply to Mbye at the Bulldogs at times.
Mate players deserve what ever someone is willing to pay them. They have a limited shelf life and finish with limited skills.
On top of that without players there is no game.
The decision makers in the club are the only ones to blame for this mess

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
The sad reality is that we had to pay Hasler out for completely fucking the club with the help of dib and co but at least the new administration is only looking to the future so this is the last time I will say it but
FUCK YOU DES!!!!

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I agree the club is ultimately responsible. However, I think players and their Managers manipulate situations and negotiate the best they can for the best deal and are partly to blame. A previous post said Mbye stalled during negotiations. I guess he new Hasler wanted him. Hodkinson was out of favour. Through his manager he drove the price up. Yes you can say good luck to players and their managers for getting their best price and the clubs can choose what they can pay. That's the free market. In Mbye's case the club should have called his bluff and stuck by their price and been prepared for him to walk, but they gambled on potential and paid his price.
That's why you have a good junior base. If any player is looking to hold the club to ransom you make sure you've got good juniors coming through so you can tell that player "there's the door".

We had no juniors, all hasler and cleal doing, and we paid massive overs for a whole bunch of forwards (haslers shitty game plan)

Reactions: GDR

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Am i crazy for thinking our club leaked bs info in the lead up to this to make our actual situation not feel as bad as it actually is? Lol.
Most likely... but well played if you ask me

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Touch wood that’s happened way too many times
im only kidding anyway, what needs to happen is the junior recruitment needs to resemble something that looks like what happened 15-18 years ago

like find the next thurston, sonny bill, asotasi, utai and sherwin, how hard can it be?

btw greenberg should be openly mocked for producing the bred not bought shirt, now years after his short term approach the only way we can imagine improving this team is to purchase high profile star players from other teams, what a disgrace

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we can't bring stars, we will have to make stars. Do we have enough talent in our ranks?
Dean Pay is great working with juniors. He won six state of origins in a row coaching nsw u20's so he is well aware of what's coming through and would have a good relationship with many of them.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Would the Morris brothers take a pay cut to stay in their comfort zone?
Pretty certain NRL won't allow that as they value players.

So even if we paid the brothers $100k each, and $100k long service allocation, that's $200k salary. If we could get them $100k TPAs, that's $300k each. Even if we employed them as cleaners at the club on $100k each on top of that.

But NRL will look at it and go "nope you paid them $700k last season and they are worth at least $500k", and refuse to sign their contracts.

Thus why its reported they are gone... even if they were happy to play for base wage for a year, the NRL won't register their contracts.

Haza

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Why doesn’t the whole team take a cut from their salaries, especially the higher earning (under performing) players to keep the Morris boys around for another season.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I see this rebuilding faze and cap issues as a blessing. Sure we will lose a few known players over the next few years as back ended contracts end and certain players become expendable but it also high lights a new path way into first grade for all the young and talented players willing to sign on with the bulldogs.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I see this rebuilding faze and cap issues as a blessing. Sure we will lose a few known players over the next few years as back ended contracts end and certain players become expendable but it also high lights a new path way into first grade for all the young and talented players willing to sign on with the bulldogs.
Couldn't agree with you more. I suppose the only thing Rae Rae got right was by 2019 or whatever year she predicted, we will have so many juniors in our team. Fluked it.

Status
Not open for further replies.