Salary Cap Mega thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
You can gain no one but overpay who you've got, that's the issue. 800k for Eastwood, 600+ for Tolman and similar ridiculous salaries can easily cause issues.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You can gain no one but overpay who you've got, that's the issue. 800k for Eastwood, 600+ for Tolman and similar ridiculous salaries can easily cause issues.
Spot on

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
If the NRL terminated back end contracts (and didn't delibrately mislead the club with Salary Cap expectations - remember it isn't just us that got caught out. Manly has as well) none of this would be an issue.

NRL need to pass a rule that for the term of a contract the player must be paid the same amount each year.

Would solve a hell of a lot of issues.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If the NRL terminated back end contracts (and didn't delibrately mislead the club with Salary Cap expectations - remember it isn't just us that got caught out. Manly has as well) none of this would be an issue.

NRL need to pass a rule that for the term of a contract the player must be paid the same amount each year.

Would solve a hell of a lot of issues.
Or varies a maximum of 10% or something, instead of 200k one year and 800k the next

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
All this shit about our salary cap is bullshit, look at the players lost and gained over last 6 years under hasler

players lost: Josh Reynolds, James Graham, Sam Kasiano, Brenko Lee, Brad Abbey, Michael Ennis, Damian Cook, Dale Finucane, Trent Hodkinson, Tony Williams, Krisnan Inu, Tim Lafai, Sam Perrett, Frank Pritchard, Curtis Rona, Chase Stanley, Martin Taupau, Corey Thompson, Tim Browne, Mitch Brown, Ben Barba, Dene Halatau, Shaune Lane, lloyd perrett, Tyrone Phillips, Steve Turner, Herman Ese Ese, James Gavet, Antonio Kaufusi, Kris Keating, Reni Maitua, and other fringe players. Thats all i can think of for now

Major Signings: Brett Morris, Tony Williams, Kieran Foran, Aaron Woods
While I agree it’s crap majority of that list is either fringe players, rookies coming through etc.

The reason we can’t fathom it is who in their mind believed tolman was on 600k+? Elliott is probz on 400k or something horrific too. Mbye 700k+

Really tolman should be about 300k and Elliott at the time 200k (now bare minimum)! Mbye should be 400-500k max

Longtimedog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Our best forward with jj..... why
Clubs would take woods, especially eels who are looking for quality props
Sell woods to highest bidder (within reason) keep Klemmer. Sell Foran and blood Lewis. Maybe add Tolman to the list and sign a couple of up and coming front rowers. Morris boys and Eastwood gone. Start afresh next year make all the big moves 2020.

Matty

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
With Morris x2 and Eastwood all rumoured to be on big money I can't understand how we are in such a mess. Are you telling me that Klemmer, Jacko, Hoppa, Mbye, Foran, Woods and Tolman are on 7 mill between them? The salary cap is nearly 10 mill. Tbh I'd be pissing off Woods, Hoppa and Tolman. Try to re-sign the morris brothers on the least amount they'd take (scary to think what our backline will look like without them). After losing Reynolds, graham and kasiano and the salary cap going up by 2 mill this year it defies belief that we can be in such a mess as being reported

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
With Morris x2 and Eastwood all rumoured to be on big money I can't understand how we are in such a mess. Are you telling me that Klemmer, Jacko, Hoppa, Mbye, Foran, Woods and Tolman are on 7 mill between them? The salary cap is nearly 10 mill. Tbh I'd be pissing off Woods, Hoppa and Tolman. Try to re-sign the morris brothers on the least amount they'd take (scary to think what our backline will look like without them). After losing Reynolds, graham and kasiano and the salary cap going up by 2 mill this year it defies belief that we can be in such a mess as being reported
Yeah, it confusing me too. However, the timing of the extensions of Mbye, Hopoate, Tolman, Jackson & Klemmer would eat up the majority of what the Morris twins and Eastwood’s contracts

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Step 1
We shouldn't have too much trouble trying to ship Hopoate out immediately who is on around 450k a season, as well as maybe Elliot if the Eels or Warriors are still keen.
That should leave us with around 400k after you consider they have both been paid almost half the salary for this year.

Step 2
Front-end Tolman's contract for this season. It is rumoured he is on about 500k a season, so we still have 1 million to pay him over the next 2 years. Give him the 400k now and he is only left with 600k over 2 years.

Step 3
Put Tolman on the block at the end of this season and at 300k a year for 2 years we will have absolutely no problem shipping him out. Eels and Knights would both jump at that.

That would mean we would have Tolmans 500k + Elliots 400k + Hopoates 450k on top of the Moz twins and Eastwood's money and not forgetting Graham's salary coming off our books from next year onwards. Even after the back ended contracts we would still have a nice amount of money. And if the Morris boys are willing to take a pay cut then bring them back while we sort out our right side.

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a thought with the salary cap mess we are in how the hell did we sign Suli

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Step 1
We shouldn't have too much trouble trying to ship Hopoate out immediately who is on around 450k a season, as well as maybe Elliot if the Eels or Warriors are still keen.
That should leave us with around 400k after you consider they have both been paid almost half the salary for this year.

Step 2
Front-end Tolman's contract for this season. It is rumoured he is on about 500k a season, so we still have 1 million to pay him over the next 2 years. Give him the 400k now and he is only left with 600k over 2 years.

Step 3
Put Tolman on the block at the end of this season and at 300k a year for 2 years we will have absolutely no problem shipping him out. Eels and Knights would both jump at that.

That would mean we would have Tolmans 500k + Elliots 400k + Hopoates 450k on top of the Moz twins and Eastwood's money and not forgetting Graham's salary coming off our books from next year onwards. Even after the back ended contracts we would still have a nice amount of money. And if the Morris boys are willing to take a pay cut then bring them back while we sort out our right side.
What makes you think we are 500 under the cap this year

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Here is who is contracted for next year

Jarred Anderson
Nu Brown
Jack Cogger
Adam Elliott
Raymond Faitala Mariner
Kieran Foran
Danny Fualao
Kerrod Holland
Will Hopaote
Josh Jackson
David Klemmer
Michael Lichaa
Jeremy Marshall King
Moses Mbye
Marcelo Montoya
Ofahiki Ogden
Jayden Okunbor
John Olive
Remis Smith
Renouf To'Omaga
Aiden Tolman
Francis Tualau
Brendon Wakeham
Aaron Woods

That's 24 players plus we were rumoured to have signed Chris Smith from Wyong so we only need 5 players to get to 30.

Yes, we have 14 off contract but not all off contract players get re-signed.

Heres the sources I used-
https://www.zerotackle.com/rugby-league/teams/canterbury-bankstown-bulldogs/
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...t/news-story/33bbb83837cfd51ef461a46db48e7a3f
https://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/20...-raymond-faitala-mariner-and-brandon-wakeham/

Last edited:

haz123

dogs for eva
Reaction score
If we believe all reports the 16 contracted players being paid next year would be on average $537,500 each.
Then yes that would leave $800,000 for the rest as reported. I just can't see that to be the case.
Even if several are on a more than $537,500 There would be plenty on NO where near that much.
Hope that makes sense.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
He was on minimum wage
Tigers paid more than half his wage. He was on far more in 2019 apparently... which begs the question... how could we afford him if the cap space was that tight.

I don't believe half the stories in the media if I'm honest.

haz123

dogs for eva
Reaction score
If we believe all reports the 16 contracted players being paid next year would be on average $537,500 each.
Then yes that would leave $800,000 for the rest as reported. I just can't see that to be the case.
Even if several are on a more than $537,500 There would be plenty on NO where near that much.
Hope that makes sense.
PS- that doesn't include any 3rd party portions of contracts either.

Last edited:

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is who is contracted for next year

Jarred Anderson
Nu Brown
Jack Cogger
Adam Elliott
Raymond Faitala Mariner
Kieran Foran
Danny Fualao
Kerrod Holland
Will Hopaote
Josh Jackson
David Klemmer
Michael Lichaa
Moses Mbye
Marcelo Montoya
Ofahiki Ogden
Jayden Okunbor
John Olive
Remis Smith
Renouf To'Omaga
Aiden Tolman
Francis Tualau
Brendon Wakeham
Aaron Woods

That's 23 players plus we were rumoured to have signed Chris Smith from Wyong so we only need 6 players to get to 30.

Yes, we have 14 off contract but not all off contract players get re-signed.

Heres the sources I used-
https://www.zerotackle.com/rugby-league/teams/canterbury-bankstown-bulldogs/
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...t/news-story/33bbb83837cfd51ef461a46db48e7a3f
https://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/20...-raymond-faitala-mariner-and-brandon-wakeham/
If this is correct we arent as bad as they say we are. i would still be trying to offload Tolman, Lichea, Hopoate

jon50n

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
WTF is wrong with our club and the NRL, firstly how can the club allow Hasler to sign players on back ended deals, don't we have accountants to do the maths and if we don't, well hire some and if we do then sack their a###ss off as they ain't any good and how can the NRL not have ppl going through what numbers clubs put through for their players each season!??? it's a no brainer, I work as an Analyst and my job for my company is to make sure the managers in my dept. submit a budget each year that is under what we give them and if not we go back to them and say your numbers are way over so go back and fix it, why don't we have this and why aren't the NRL auditing this before it goes pear shape!!!?

The players and clubs are a product for the NRL, without the product or players then the NRL are screwed as no fans would pay to watch an empty game right!? It's the NRLs duties as a last line of defense to tell the clubs what they have done wrong, the NRL are like auditors/accountants the buck stops with them FFS, if the Dogs or any club for that matter cannot get under the cap then that club is going to field a side that is a laughing stock for the game and guess what, the fans will be turned off and watch another sport and the game will not grow, jezzzz wizzzz even my 3yr old knows this ... But then again what would I know, the NRL seems to think everything is going well, sign a $2B TV deal and still looking at borrowing more money from the banks and mind you all the banks are smart enough to decline any loans for the NRL as they are all aware the NRL are a laughing stock, what does that tell you!!! Look at the AFL, they would laugh if they had to borrow money!!!!
FFS RL is a dying sport but who am I, right!???

Thanks Hasler, screw us over and take us for more money even once you are sacked .. only winner here FFS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.