Cameron Smith to retire from representative footy for Queensland and Kangaroos, effective immediatel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Precise

Kennel Established
Reaction score
NSW should have this on lock for several years to go, they can't match us in the go foward, wingers, centres, Will be interesting to see Munster carry such a massive load on he's shoulders now. Will be Slaters last origin if he isn't already in the stages of lining up to quit as well.

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Big pressure on Freddy I say this is his time, if he flops things could get ugly

Wearnze

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So both teams will have a new fresh look to them.

Wouldn't surprise me if Slater also leaves before Game 1. If I were him, I would be thinking I want to leave now that I have a new 7 and 9 to work with. It just won't be the same for him...

Malla

Reaction score
He will go from playing first grade straight to coaching - whether it is at the Storm or Broncos remains to be seen, but I would assume his retirement from NRL will come at the end of next season once he cracks 400 first grade games.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
No established goal kicker for QLD, unless they go

7. Taylor
9. Hunt/McCullough

Wearnze

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I were QLD I'd probably play Andrew McCullough but to be honest him, Friend and Granville are in the getting too old for origin debut in my opinion.

Fortunately for NSW they have no better options.

I understand it would be a big risk as they don't play this position at club level but if I were Walters I'd consider playing Mybe, DCE or Hunt at number 9.

Would it really be the worse selection they could pick? Friend is injured, Granville isn't in great form, leaving McCullough as my only other option.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
He will go from playing first grade straight to coaching - whether it is at the Storm or Broncos remains to be seen, but I would assume his retirement from NRL will come at the end of next season once he cracks 400 first grade games.
I'd use the "agree" button, but it appears to have been taken away from us again....

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
So both teams will have a new fresh look to them.

Wouldn't surprise me if Slater also leaves before Game 1. If I were him, I would be thinking I want to leave now that I have a new 7 and 9 to work with. It just won't be the same for him...
I think there will be too much pressure on Slater now to stay, as they need some experience.

Ogre

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
If NSW don’t win the origin this year, they never will.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
If I were QLD I'd probably play Andrew McCullough but to be honest him, Friend and Granville are in the getting too old for origin debut in my opinion.

Fortunately for NSW they have no better options.

I understand it would be a big risk as they don't play this position at club level but if I were Walters I'd consider playing Mybe, DCE or Hunt at number 9.

Would it really be the worse selection they could pick? Friend is injured, Granville isn't in great form, leaving McCullough as my only other option.
Jake Friend is actually younger than McCullough. AM is a better player though

adamsapple

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Losing Cronk JT Smith in the one season is massive
I guess Slater or GI will now captain the side

Blues should win the series 3-0

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I remember Greg Chappell, Dennis Lillee and Rod Marsh all retired in 1984 just before Australia were scheduled to play the west indies in 10 consecutive test matches. They saw the writing on the wall and didn’t want to face them.
Cameron Smith I believe realises that QLD’s dominance is over. Best to get out now and end a career on a winning note.
And what a winning Origin career it was perhaps not replicated in our lifetime

Status
Not open for further replies.