Morris twins concede Bulldogs’ salary cap situation likely to force them out of the club

Status
Not open for further replies.

bells76

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Why don't we have a quiet gentlemans agreement with them. Lets say they are currently on $600k each.

Offer them 1 year contracts at say $400k each.
After that year is up and with a higher cap amount and more positions freed up, sign them for another year at $800k each.

In other words not backend a contract, but rather make the amount up to them in a later contract.

Or for that matter employ them at the club in $100k a year roles.... I'm sure there are many other clubs out there with players working $100k+ cleaning jobs.
So isn’t that the same as a back ended contract ... and no 33 year old winger or centre is worth 800k

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
Genius idea except for one really critical point - every player in the NRL has a deemed salary cap value as decided upon by the NRL and so you cannot pay them any less than that for cap purposes no matter how much they may get in TPA's. So bottom line is the Morris boys would have IMO a minimum value of $350k+ each.
Unless you are the Broncos then you can sign an international on "minimum wage" *cough cough* and play them in reserve grade

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How the fuck are we not keeping these two!!!
Bye bye Woods, Hopoate, Tolman, Eastwood and countless others ffs PLEASE!!!!!!
Woods? Can't you see his getting better each game? Drags in four defenders, offloads, gets us going forward.

Agree with Morris boys, it will hurt us. Problem is i don't think even 50% pay cut will keep us under the cap if we still have to get rid of Mbye.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Forget about them. We can't afford them even if they play for $200k. We need their money and Eastwoods just to cover the escalations of the ones that are already contracted for next year, plus we are probably going to have to get rid of someone else. Enjoy the ride with them and then say goodbye.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
So isn’t that the same as a back ended contract ... and no 33 year old winger or centre is worth 800k
Agree but keeping them beyond this season is a must.

Not sure if NRL are allowing backended contracts anymore or not.

bells76

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Agree but keeping them beyond this season is a must.

Not sure if NRL are allowing backended contracts anymore or not.
Back ended is still allowed but if what I’ve been told of our cap is true we are going to have to face serious pain eventually.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Back ended is still allowed but if what I’ve been told of our cap is true we are going to have to face serious pain eventually.
I'd rather face it now, get it out of the way, then recover.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why don't we have a quiet gentlemans agreement with them. Lets say they are currently on $600k each.

Offer them 1 year contracts at say $400k each.
After that year is up and with a higher cap amount and more positions freed up, sign them for another year at $800k each.

In other words not backend a contract, but rather make the amount up to them in a later contract.

Or for that matter employ them at the club in $100k a year roles.... I'm sure there are many other clubs out there with players working $100k+ cleaning jobs.
The problem is without the twins and Eastwood signing we must still be over the cap substantially if the rumours are true we have to get rid of Mbye on $900k. Say Mbye also goes we just make it under the cap. The Morris twins can't be resigned. Just a mess that has been left for Pay to deal with but we have to just start over. It all falls into shape now knowing why Dib was fighting so hard for $10m cap. He knew we were in shit, and we are.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
View attachment 5845

Can't find it again but I recall reading an article where she admitted she wasn't good with numbers/budgets.
No matter who we like or dislike, Nothing will ever change these facts that got us in trouble.
1 Greenberg and the board should have never signed Hasler with total control.
2 The board should never have replaced Greenberg with Castle.
3 Castle should never have agreed on most of Hasler's decisions.
4 Dib should never have taken on the responsibilities of the CEO Castle.

Last edited:

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Doesn't the NRL have any up and coming stars who are like the way the Morris twins were when they started out?

How are they with injuries and fitness?
They can't be too far away from a super league contract or retirement?

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Ummm are any of these doomsday reporters taking into account we no longer have Suli either?

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Isn't the board holding a forum soon to explain the whole situation ?
Therefore it's all speculations for now.
Once we know the truth, we could fantasize about who will go and who will stay and who we can sign !!!

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Isn't the board holding a forum soon to explain the whole situation ?
Therefore it's all speculations for now.
Once we know the truth, we could fantasize about who will go and who will stay and who we can sign !!!
The forum is on next Thursday night and I plan on going. I think though that it is more about Greenberg and the NRL talking about the game than it is about our SC issues. Greenberg is supposed to be coming to address us if I remember the email correctly and we will get the chance to ask him/them questions.

ozdog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The forum is on next Thursday night and I plan on going. I think though that it is more about Greenberg and the NRL talking about the game than it is about our SC issues. Greenberg is supposed to be coming to address us if I remember the email correctly and we will get the chance to ask him/them questions.
The email said with Peter Beatie also to talk about the state of the game

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The twins are so solid every week. I worry how we will look when they are gone considering the defensive horror show that occurs on the other side every week

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Forget about them. We can't afford them even if they play for $200k. We need their money and Eastwoods just to cover the escalations of the ones that are already contracted for next year, plus we are probably going to have to get rid of someone else. Enjoy the ride with them and then say goodbye.
That is a fucked up situation if we need over a million to cover escalating contracts... fcukin hell...

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
brett should replay the club by taking a pay cut for staying injured half the time at the dogs.
Don't be a fool all your life Dude, they were both brilliant on Friday night and have at least another good season or 2 left in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.