Canterbury sign Roosters forward Chris Smith

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Interesting point, it all boils down to attitude but I think it has to start with the captain.
Don't get me wrong I think JJ is a brilliant player but he's too affected by the PC world of higher learning to lead the team into thuggery
I think the days of thuggery in the NRL are long gone.Even SOO have been very tame compared to the past.
After the death of Ackerman from a shoulder charge,the NRL has gone to great lengths in cleaning up the game to ensure player welfare.
This year I've also seen many legitimate bone jarring tackles penalized.
Code competition for fans,junior participation and sponsorship,has forced the NRL to sacrifice hard contact in favor of family appeal.So lap it up if you are fortunate enough to witness an old fashion bruising arm wrestle.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Eliott is fine. Those blaming him
For all our woes are gronks tbh.

The amount of criticism he is copping after two good games is beyond ridiculous.

Having said that, never hurts to add to squad depth and if this guy plays as aggressively as people say, he may carve himself a good niche here.
Elliott has has one good game against the Cowboys, that's it!!
So far this season as a whole he has been a fucking disgrace.
While he keeps getting selected we can only hope he can improve and be consistent.
But highly doubtful I think.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Elliot does cop more than he deserves, IMO.

He's far from the cause of all our woes. Lichaa's service is a much bigger problem.

Elliot is still average at best.
Lichaa is by far & away the biggest problem with the team.
However Elliott's form & contributionthis season so far has been pathetic. He had one good game against the Cowboys, that is just.not good enought.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
DOGS ADD TO THEIR PACK

Canterbury has landed the signature of Roosters forward Chris Smith from next season.

At 24, Smith has had limited opportunity in the top grade which has paved the way for his move.

Having agreed to a two-year-deal, Smith could still make a move before June 30 should the Roosters sign off on an early release.

Chris Smith of the Roosters races away to score.Source: News Corp Australia
Smith began his career with Penrith in 2015 before moving to the Tricolours the following year.

With the Bulldogs handcuffed by salary cap pressures, Market Watch understands the deal is worth around $95,000 a season.

*foxsports.com.au

https://www.nrl.com/operations/the-game/the-salary-cap/

For players in the Top 30 Salary Cap, the Salary Cap value for a player each year is broken down into the following categories:

- Playing Fee – fully included in the Salary Cap.

- Included benefits – all benefits provided to players including accommodation, travel, motor vehicles, interest free loans and manager's fees and any applicable fringe benefits tax.

- Win bonuses and appearance fees – Payments for appearing in or winning a game are calculated based on the number of NRL games the player played in the prior year multiplied by any applicable bonuses. For win bonuses, the calculation is capped at 13 wins. Example: A player appeared in 10 NRL games in 2017 and now has a 2018 Contract for $100,000 contract fee plus $1,000 per game. His - Salary Cap Value would be $100,000 plus 10 times $1000 = $110,000.

- Other bonuses – Any other bonus contained in a player's contract will be calculated in the Salary Cap if the NRL Salary Cap Auditor expects him to achieve the bonus based on his prior year's performance.

Example: A player played State of Origin in 2017. His 2018 Contract includes a $20,000 State of Origin bonus. This bonus will be included in the player's 2018 Salary Cap Value.

Note: Where a bonus is achieved by a player but was not assessed in the player's Salary Cap Value, the bonus is carried forward and calculated in the player's Salary Cap Value for the following year.
2018 Min. Top 30 fee of $100,000 for players 1-26 in 2018 increasing at $5,000 p.a until 2022
2018 $70,000 for players 27-30 in 2018 increasing at $2,500 p.a until 2022
2018 Replacement of the NRL second tier with the NRL Development List where players will be entitled to $60,000 p.a.

Under those figures is cover at best. What a balancing act the salary cap is.......

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think the days of thuggery in the NRL are long gone.Even SOO have been very tame compared to the past.
After the death of Ackerman from a shoulder charge,the NRL has gone to great lengths in cleaning up the game to ensure player welfare.
This year I've also seen many legitimate bone jarring tackles penalized.
Code competition for fans,junior participation and sponsorship,has forced the NRL to sacrifice hard contact in favor of family appeal.So lap it up if you are fortunate enough to witness an old fashion bruising arm wrestle.
So true ! So then how can we expect the dogs of war to come back into our team attitude. From my understanding the dogs of war was physically brutal but now most of that is no longer tolerated. I think pay was dreaming when he claimed he'd recreate that attitude in our team again.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
He was very good for Wyong against the dogs a few weeks back. That's the only time I recall watching him play.

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
now we're just signing ***** for the sake of it

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
So true ! So then how can we expect the dogs of war to come back into our team attitude. From my understanding the dogs of war was physically brutal but now most of that is no longer tolerated. I think pay was dreaming when he claimed he'd recreate that attitude in our team again.
'Dogs of War' was a phrase that originated in Shakespeare's Julius Caesar and was made popular in a song by one of the all time best bands the psychedelic Pink Floyd.It was introduced into sport by Everton's manager Joe Royal in 1994 during the Mersey battles with Liverpool.

In 1995 during the Qualifying final against St.George whilst calling the game,Warren Ryan said "they are like 'Dogs of War',a drilled army coming in waves" and the name stuck.He repeated that phrase throughout the finals,including the grand final specifically highlighting the brutal forwards.I still got VHS copies for that 1995 season stored in the dry vault in my chambers which I need to copy urgently on DVD before they turn to dust.I have personally heard Gould argue that the original phrase was already attributed in some circles to his 1988-89 team and that Warren rightly continued with tradition.The jury is out on that one.I think whilst it's historically interesting,due to the fact Pay played in both teams (1989-95),it's only academic and adds no value to our current situation.

The 'Dogs of War' main strength was to hurt,bully and tire the opposing forwards,pushing and trapping the opposition,turning defense into attack whilst relentlessly battering the middle when in possession.The kicking game complimented this style of play by driving and turning the opposition deep into their half and by gaining multiple repeat sets from short in goal grubber kicks.

The following rules reduced the ability to tire and trap the opposition's forwards.
  1. interchange rule;
  2. 40/20 rule;
  3. abolition of a minimum distance an attacking team was required to stand behind dummy-half;
  4. rules that virtually made scrums cosmetic;
The following rules reduced the ability to hurt and bully the opposition's forwards.
  1. dangerous throws;
  2. All lifting tackles;
  3. three-man "cannonball" tackles;
  4. defending players cannot be tackled mid-air but defending players can tackle attacking players;
  5. attacking kicker cannot be tackled whilst in the air;
It's frightening to think the beastly pack of Britt,Hetherington,Pay,Price,Gillies,Dymock,J.Smith and Newton,driven by the battle hardened club immortal Lamb played when the above rules were not in place.No wonder Des hates our club,he's still having nightmares of Gillies smashing his nose through his arse in that 95 grand final.

Can the 'Dogs of War' be replicated? Probably not.But if the phrase 'Dogs of War' psychologically helps our team through this difficult time,then let's get behind all of them and remind them of the pride in the blue and white.
When our club song "We are the Mighty Bulldogs" saluted the impending end of the 'Dogs of War' era,that August afternoon after we destroyed the Cows.The words blasted out of the Belmore speakers for the last time,in one voice we all proudly sang the words "we play it hard" "we play it tough" "we're the greatest in the league".Our legends hearts were filled with pride,always with them,never alone,on their hard long quest to ultimate victory.
I'm positive the time is approaching my friend and that famous song will salute the start of a new 'Dogs of War' era.And when we finish singing those famous ending lyrics "with our power and speed" "the Bulldog breed" "will keep them on the run",again our players hearts will fill with pride,always with them,never alone,on their long hard quest to ultimate victory.
So whether Pay is dreaming or not is not important,because 'Dogs of War' is just a catch phrase,what makes it real is our unity with our players,our pride is their strength,our legends are their guidance and together we will experience glory,because it's our destiny to be the greatest in the league.

Headmix

Banned
Reaction score
Eliott is fine. Those blaming him
For all our woes are gronks tbh.

The amount of criticism he is copping after two good games is beyond ridiculous.

Having said that, never hurts to add to squad depth and if this guy plays as aggressively as people say, he may carve himself a good niche here.
I must admit I've been bagging Elliot... But it seems he's trying of late. .which is all we really want right?

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I must admit I've been bagging Elliot... But it seems he's trying of late. .which is all we really want right?
You would expect every first grader to have a go. That’s the bare minimum.

Sword

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
'Dogs of War' was a phrase that originated in Shakespeare's Julius Caesar and was made popular in a song by one of the all time best bands the psychedelic Pink Floyd.It was introduced into sport by Everton's manager Joe Royal in 1994 during the Mersey battles with Liverpool.

In 1995 during the Qualifying final against St.George whilst calling the game,Warren Ryan said "they are like 'Dogs of War',a drilled army coming in waves" and the name stuck.He repeated that phrase throughout the finals,including the grand final specifically highlighting the brutal forwards.I still got VHS copies for that 1995 season stored in the dry vault in my chambers which I need to copy urgently on DVD before they turn to dust.I have personally heard Gould argue that the original phrase was already attributed in some circles to his 1988-89 team and that Warren rightly continued with tradition.The jury is out on that one.I think whilst it's historically interesting,due to the fact Pay played in both teams (1989-95),it's only academic and adds no value to our current situation.

The 'Dogs of War' main strength was to hurt,bully and tire the opposing forwards,pushing and trapping the opposition,turning defense into attack whilst relentlessly battering the middle when in possession.The kicking game complimented this style of play by driving and turning the opposition deep into their half and by gaining multiple repeat sets from short in goal grubber kicks.

The following rules reduced the ability to tire and trap the opposition's forwards.
  1. interchange rule;
  2. 40/20 rule;
  3. abolition of a minimum distance an attacking team was required to stand behind dummy-half;
The following rules reduced the ability to hurt and bully the opposition's forwards.
  1. dangerous throws;
  2. All lifting tackles;
  4. defending players cannot be tackled mid-air but defending players can tackle attacking players;
It's frightening to think the beastly pack of Britt,Hetherington,Pay,Price,Gillies,Dymock,J.Smith and Newton,driven by the battle hardened club immortal Lamb played when the above rules were not in place.No wonder Des hates our club,he's still having nightmares of Gillies smashing his nose through his arse in that 95 grand final.

Can the 'Dogs of War' be replicated? Probably not.But if the phrase 'Dogs of War' psychologically helps our team through this difficult time,then let's get behind all of them and remind them of the pride in the blue and white.
When our club song "We are the Mighty Bulldogs" saluted the impending end of the 'Dogs of War' era,that August afternoon after we destroyed the Cows.The words blasted out of the Belmore speakers for the last time,in one voice we all proudly sang the words "we play it hard" "we play it tough" "we're the greatest in the league".Our legends hearts were filled with pride,always with them,never alone,on their hard long quest to ultimate victory.
I'm positive the time is approaching my friend and that famous song will salute the start of a new 'Dogs of War' era.And when we finish singing those famous ending lyrics "with our power and speed" "the Bulldog breed" "will keep them on the run",again our players hearts will fill with pride,always with them,never alone,on their long hard quest to ultimate victory.
So whether Pay is dreaming or not is not important,because 'Dogs of War' is just a catch phrase,what makes it real is our unity with our players,our pride is their strength,our legends are their guidance and together we will experience glory,because it's our destiny to be the greatest in the league.
Thanks, really enjoyed reading this.

I think also the 10 metre rule and the increasing level protection for the ball carrier has driven the ‘dogs of war’ into extinction

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

1. interchange rule;
  2. 40/20 rule;
  1. dangerous throws;
  2. All lifting tackles;

Deathspell...Still awaiting your "best team and positions" from our current squad if you'd care to share :grinning:

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Thanks, really enjoyed reading this.

I think also the 10 metre rule and the increasing level protection for the ball carrier has driven the ‘dogs of war’ into extinction
Thank you.My reason for writing that post was to try to alleviate some of the frustration and hurt,my brothers and sisters are feeling.
In 1995,after that great Belmore reception,we smashed the Cows 66-4,then we achieved the impossible,winning the comp from 6th!
The Super League war decimated the 'Dogs of War',otherwise we would have enjoyed an era that matched the 80's.

Yes definitely, changes to the 10m rule,did complicate things in 1993,especially when you take into account that it was changed twice.From 5m to 8m at the start of the season and then increased to 10m,halfway in the season.
Reason I left that rule change out,together with the belowmentioned,is because to be honest,I'm not sure if the phase 'Dogs of War' was first mentioned by Gould in 88' or Warren in 95'. Since I know for sure Warren used it,I opted to swing his way.

Other rule changes:
  1. new definition of a high tackle;
  2. stripping the ball;
  3. off-sides for chasing kicks,increased from 5m to 10m;
***Maybe academic but worth noting was the introduction of in goal touch judges.

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Deathspell...Still awaiting your "best team and positions" from our current squad if you'd care to share :grinning:
Mbye
B.Morris
J.Morris
Hoppa
Olive
JMK
Foran
Woods
Lichaa
Klemmer
Martin
RFM
Jackson

Interchange
Eastwood
Fualalo
Elliott
Holland

**Persist with Lichaa up to 20min mark.If in front go till half time.
I know Holland is an odd selection and not ideal....so this is the reason for his selection.

If behind,swap JMK for Lichaa,move Mbye to 5/8,Hoppa to fullback,and bring Holland at center.
Idea is to use 3-4 pass method in attack and normal formation in defense,ala Storm (atm also being tried by Saints,Wests and Sharks).

How it works:

1) Work any edge of field using 2 props, 1, 2nd row and lock (together for 4 tackles) with JMK as hooker - This locks their forwards to the edge.
2) On 4th tackle wing must start moving towards the opposite flank slowly,in case of intercept.
3) On 5th everyone moves fast into these positions, JJ goes to dummy half, JMK to half, Foran to 5/8 with Mbye outside him and Hoppa behind him to run decoy.NB.at this stage both wingers should be on same side.
4) On 5th, JJ fires long pass to JMK (important he doesn't move, but feigns kick to keep fullback guessing), the forwards run decoy at an angle,the center behind them shielded out of view.
5) JMK fires long pass to Foran (who takes on line,minute center is on his inside he passes to Mbye,Hoppa overtakes him and together with 2nd row (that wasn't used in forwards play) run decoy.
6) Other center runs forward to line and does quick turnaround with Mbye,who links up with 2 wingers.Whole move should take 6-8 seconds (I've seen Storm do it in 5,with Cronk).
90% of the time you'll get a 3 (2 wings & Mbye) on 1 overlap.
NB.Never try this on 6th, just in case of a fuckup as the defensive structure will be all over the place.If for some reason you do, and it fails,do a Smith and drop a ruck penalty,then question the ref.
After try,everyone reverts to original position and when in attack use edge type formation (important is to kick well so as to tire the forwards and force interchange).
The minute they use an interchange (2 is a bonus) or there is a line drop out repeat the 3-4 pass tactic.
If we had a decent impact player (back) you can do a variation of this move that would involve Hoppa.
Bringing Lichaa back depends on score.
I'm sorry it's a bit long but I hope this explanation helps.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Mbye
B.Morris
J.Morris
Hoppa
Olive
JMK
Foran
Woods
Lichaa
Klemmer
Martin
RFM
Jackson

Interchange
Eastwood
Fualalo
Elliott
Holland

**Persist with Lichaa up to 20min mark.If in front go till half time.
I know Holland is an odd selection and not ideal....so this is the reason for his selection.

If behind,swap JMK for Lichaa,move Mbye to 5/8,Hoppa to fullback,and bring Holland at center.
Idea is to use 3-4 pass method in attack and normal formation in defense,ala Storm (atm also being tried by Saints,Wests and Sharks).

How it works:

1) Work any edge of field using 2 props, 1, 2nd row and lock (together for 4 tackles) with JMK as hooker - This locks their forwards to the edge.
2) On 4th tackle wing must start moving towards the opposite flank slowly,in case of intercept.
3) On 5th everyone moves fast into these positions, JJ goes to dummy half, JMK to half, Foran to 5/8 with Mbye outside him and Hoppa behind him to run decoy.NB.at this stage both wingers should be on same side.
4) On 5th, JJ fires long pass to JMK (important he doesn't move, but feigns kick to keep fullback guessing), the forwards run decoy at an angle,the center behind them shielded out of view.
5) JMK fires long pass to Foran (who takes on line,minute center is on his inside he passes to Mbye,Hoppa overtakes him and together with 2nd row (that wasn't used in forwards play) run decoy.
6) Other center runs forward to line and does quick turnaround with Mbye,who links up with 2 wingers.Whole move should take 6-8 seconds (I've seen Storm do it in 5,with Cronk).
90% of the time you'll get a 3 (2 wings & Mbye) on 1 overlap.
NB.Never try this on 6th, just in case of a fuckup as the defensive structure will be all over the place.If for some reason you do, and it fails,do a Smith and drop a ruck penalty,then question the ref.
After try,everyone reverts to original position and when in attack use edge type formation (important is to kick well so as to tire the forwards and force interchange).
The minute they use an interchange (2 is a bonus) or there is a line drop out repeat the 3-4 pass tactic.
If we had a decent impact player (back) you can do a variation of this move that would involve Hoppa.
Bringing Lichaa back depends on score.
I'm sorry it's a bit long but I hope this explanation helps.
Thanks for reply...so you've got Martin, Foran, Hoppa and Olive defending together?

How can we create more space for Hoppa and Olive?

Sword

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you.My reason for writing that post was to try to alleviate some of the frustration and hurt,my brothers and sisters are feeling.
In 1995,after that great Belmore reception,we smashed the Cows 66-4,then we achieved the impossible,winning the comp from 6th!
The Super League war decimated the 'Dogs of War',otherwise we would have enjoyed an era that matched the 80's.

Yes definitely, changes to the 10m rule,did complicate things in 1993,especially when you take into account that it was changed twice.From 5m to 8m at the start of the season and then increased to 10m,halfway in the season.
Reason I left that rule change out,together with the belowmentioned,is because to be honest,I'm not sure if the phase 'Dogs of War' was first mentioned by Gould in 88' or Warren in 95'. Since I know for sure Warren used it,I opted to swing his way.

Other rule changes:
  1. new definition of a high tackle;
  2. stripping the ball;
  3. off-sides for chasing kicks,increased from 5m to 10m;
***Maybe academic but worth noting was the introduction of in goal touch judges.
Don’t forget the shoulder charge that SBW made so fashionable.

You’re spot on though with your analysis.

I appreciate your knowledge of the history of our team

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
One of my favourite Shakespearean quotes used to great effect in Sta Trek 6 The Undiscovered Country.

https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/cry-havoc-and-let-slip-the-dogs-of-war.html

Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war

What's the meaning of the phrase 'Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war'?
The military order Havoc! was a signal given to the English military forces in the Middle Ages to direct the soldiery (in Shakespeare's parlance 'the dogs of war') to pillage and chaos.

The 'let slip' is an allusion to the slip collars that were used to restrain dogs and were easily 'let slip' to allow the dogs to run and hunt.

What's the origin of the phrase 'Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war'?
The Black Book of the Admiralty, 1385 is a collection of laws in French and Latin that relate to the organisation of the English Navy. In the 'Ordinances of War of Richard II' in that book we find:

"Item, qe nul soit si hardy de crier havok sur peine davoir la test coupe."
[Item: No one should be so foolish as to cry havoc and have the test cancelled.]

An English text which comes nearer to defining the term is found in Grose's Military Antiquities Respecting a History of the English Army, 1801. Grose was quoting a translation of an Old French text by Thomas De Brotherton, the first Earl of Norfolk (Brotherton died in 1338):

"Likewise be all manner of beasts, when they be brought into the field and cried havoke, then every man to take his part."

Shakespeare was well aware of the use of the meaning of havoc and he used 'cry havoc' in several of his plays. The 'cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war' form of the phrase is from Julius Caesar, 1601. After Caesar's murder Anthony regrets the course he has taken and predicts that war is sure to follow.

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Thanks for reply...so you've got Martin, Foran, Hoppa and Olive defending together?

How can we create more space for Hoppa and Olive?
You'll waste tackles and lose position if you try to go around modern drilled defenses,unless you fluke the odd mistake,or field a very fast wing/center.Conventional right edge moves might yield results against Penrith as I explain in play 6 below.But regardless,it's essential to work the right edge in order to maintain a balanced attack,otherwise the left edge will become less effective.The plays below are commonly used by most teams and statistically achieve good results.

1) Foil left,spread right (Storm): idea is to force the opposition to compress the left defense,line backs against forwards in the middle and create a gap between left center and half.
Execution:Position left 2nd row between the 2 props and attack from left center position,left center/wing to DH and fishing for off load.The instance the defense compresses to the left,pass to the left wing/center,he should run right,across the line past the 2 opposing props.Lock runs decoy at opposing lock to stop right to left defensive slide from sliding any further then the lock position.Left wing/center passes to hooker,who stands in line with opposing hooker,if props start to slide with running left wing/center,a gap will appear between the oppositions right prop and lock,hooker should call the fullback and together exploit this gap.Otherwise hooker runs at opposing hooker,right 2nd row runs decoy at opposing left 2nd row.Hooker throws a cut out pass to half who runs at the line towards the opposing 5/8.Half passes to 5/8 on his outside,creating a 3 on 2 overlap with right center/wing.Only way to stop this move is to play fullback in the line.
2) Criss-cross angle runs (St George):idea is to bombard the defensive line from left 2nd row to right prop area on tackle 1,2,& 4.Run angle runs at 5/8 on tackle 3 & 5,to create a gap around the opposition's 5/8 area.
Execution:Use conventional forward hit-ups on tackle 1,2 & 5 using props and left 2nd row to bend the middle,every alternate hit up should be directed towards the next defender,1 position to the defensive right. For 3rd tackle,hooker needs to take on the line as middle forwards run decoys to same area they have been hitting on tackle 1 and 2.Hooker passes to 5/8, who passes to lock who runs forward at opposition's 5/8 as the right 2nd row runs decoy at left 2nd row. On 5th tackle hooker angles his run to right and takes the line on.Hooker passes to half who takes line on with the fullback on the inside.Half passes to 5/8 who runs at opposing 5/8,lock runs decoy at left 2nd row,right 2nd row runs decoy at left center.5/8 runs at opposing 5/8 who is now isolated and vulnerable.5/8 puts right center through gap.
3) Arch across line (Souths):I believe Lichaa might be fast enough for this play.Idea is to line the attack towards the left as a foil whilst exposing a gap close to right touch line.
Execution:Line attack towards left but place left wing instead of left 2nd row when the play the ball is in the middle.Hooker at DH runs forward at an angle towards left.All left side + middle move up and run decoys.Hooker passes to left wing who runs a huge arch towards opposing 5/8,decoys got to be extra alert cause of obstruction.Left wing passes to half who takes the line and opposing left center on,depending where the opposing left wing is positioned the half either uses the right center or throws a cut-out pass to right wing.
4) Cat and mouse (Wests):Executed from 15m out.I doubt our halves are quick enough for this play.Idea is to catch the hooker and lock on right side of the defense.Unbalance the defense to create a gap out wide.
Execution:Left prop runs at both props as right Prop runs decoy at left 2nd row.Hooker to DH fires ball to lock who runs at hooker/lock.Hooker to DH,important that rest of spine takes position and lines to the left.Hooker runs sideways left,now because of potential overlapping the defense has to slide fast and compress towards the right,the markers (hooker/lock) got no choice and need to run towards the defensive right with the hooker.Hooker drags them past defensive right upright and engages them on the 10m line (the mouse is trapped).Left 2nd row to DH passes to 5/8 who runs right as he needs to counts 6 defensive players to his left,this now forces the markers (hooker/lock) to run to their left as well (making that 8 defenders in total).Right prop runs decoy at 9th defensive player.5/8 passes to half who takes on the line running at an angle towards the right,he continues this run until he's in line with the defensive left upright.Lock runs decoy at 10th defensive player.Half to fullback who must receive ball on the outside shoulder of the lock decoy.Opposing fullback got no choice and must move up to met the fullback and defend the line.Right 2nd row runs decoy at left center as the fullback throws a cut out pass past right center who runs decoy at left wing to right wing, who's running from deep.
5)Double trouble (Sharks):Play executed from 5m out.Idea is to use wing as half to create a 2 on 1 on outside.
Execution: Left wing replaces hooker and left side from hooker moves 1 position to left.Half swaps with right 2nd row.Left prop takes ball up to 5m.Defense should line up as 6 players to their left ,the 2 markers,fullback and 4 defending right side.Lock goes to DH.Lock passes to right prop taking ball up with half on his outside and right 2nd row outside him.Right prop takes line on at left 2nd row,half runs to outside of right 2nd row.Right 2nd row runs decoy into into oppositions 5/8 as the right prop invites tackle by opposition'd left 2nd row.Right prop passes to half who receives ball on outside shoulder of the decoy right 2nd row.During this time the left wing is running at an angle towards the half.Half runs at the line inviting opposition's left center to tackle him.Half passes to left wing who has reached him by now.Right center runs decoy into opposition's left wing.Left wing throws a cut out pass to right wing.
6) Attack the players:Idea is to exploit Christian Crichton's (5 NRL games) inexperience and Corey Harawira-Naera past shoulder injuries in order to try and beat them on the edge.
Execution:Crichton has always played at left wing and Harawira-Naera has only played center once,his preferred position is 2nd row.Test Crichton with various kicks and 1 on 1 decisions.Test Harawira-Naera by subjecting him to hits from forwards around chest-shoulder,both in defense and attack.Crichton has a poor tackling efficiency at 76% and with Maloney as a half or 5/8 has the worst tackle efficiency,missed tackles and error rate in the NRL.As I was doing this I quickly realised that our team are so far behind in attacking moves and probably will have a hard tome executing any of these.What I'll do,I'll input the spine's specifications (running speed,pass accuracy ect) into this database I've got that has over 500 plays.The program will then match potential moves.Then I'll pick top 3 that match a high execution forecast.

Last edited: