Holland to Center

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Something needs to be done with the Hopoate/Montoya side. I was a big fan of Montoya last year but he hasn’t had much impact at all this year and there is a defensive issue on that side in every game this year. Maybe put Holland in center and move Hoppa to the wing?
Something has to change on that side its way too slow, the morris boys are way older and showing them how it should be done. If hoppa or Montoya need a spell in Reggie's then so be it give someone else a go. I would give this john olive a run, good speed which is what we lacking on that side

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Out of the 6 games.
Points when Holland’s on;
Points at times holland isn’t on the field

He’s played roughly 40 percent of game time this year

He adds so much value and people don’t realise

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
He shouldn’t be on the bench. He needs to be in the starting side or NSW cup. It’s time to put him over Montoya.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Hoppa has been playing solid, not flashy.. I say try him in the second row, let his dad teach him a little aggressive playing.. Maybe the pointer finger lol
Hoppa was so awful last game I lost count of the times I cursed his name.
Needs to start running the ball hard and with intent, it's like he plays in slow motion.
He can be very soft and grabby in defence, and will never be an aggressive type player.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Hoppa is just to slow to respond to a situation in the centre. He turns like the Queen Mary.
If they want a tackler in the centre, consider Asipeli Fine. If they want to score points and tackle OK, then maybe Lachie Lewis.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hoppa has been playing solid, not flashy.. I say try him in the second row, let his dad teach him a little aggressive playing.. Maybe the pointer finger lol
In the right place of course,

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m willing to try anything on that right side.
Right now, every time the ball goes that way, I wanna puke.
We got rid of Kennar and Lee who I thought was a best line breaker because he couldn't tackle, now the right side defence is just as bad.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Problem with Holland, is he gets lost in defence on the edges a little.

When he's infield he has better protection from others.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Problem with Holland, is he gets lost in defence on the edges a little.

When he's infield he has better protection from others.
Edge defence around centre is the hardest position to defend
Your spot on

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I don't think Holland is our answer to anything and don't understand him even being on the bench tbh. Really not a Hoppa fan either but I reckon we could do better than Holland or Floppa.

mr j

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Holland is not FG standard. Unfortunately right now he’s Bulldogs calibre. And that is why we are in the position we are in now. Players the club deemed not FG calibre are thriving at other clubs.

BMOC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Holland-Brenko combo was waaaaaay better than Hopoate-Montoya. Both have leaked in points but Holland-Brenko were way better in attack. I SAY YES TO GIVING HOLLAND-HOPOATE a go

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Hoppa was so awful last game I lost count of the times I cursed his name.
Needs to start running the ball hard and with intent, it's like he plays in slow motion.
He can be very soft and grabby in defence, and will never be an aggressive type player.
Bro WTF are you talking about? "Run ball hard and with intent","very soft and grabby in defense',looks to me you either don't watch our games objectively or you need to see an optometrist! Constructive criticism is great,but you need to back it up with facts not emotional bs.

The following stats are averaged per game. All stats excludes opposition players and Bulldogs Frawley,Brown and Tualau who have not played more then 2 NRL games this year.
Below are Hoppa's attacking and defensive stats,compared to the other 18 Bulldog players and 46 NRL centers.

Attack:

Runs:......................................3rd with 14.7...(after props Klemmer and Woods);..............2nd NRL center (after P.Sami Titans)
Meters run:.............................3rd with 118m..(after props Klemmer and Woods);..............5th NRL center
Runs over 8m:.........................4th with 8........(after Klemmer,Woods and RFM);.....equal...7th NRL center
Kick returns and meters:
...........4th ................(after Mbye,B.Morris and Montoya);..equal..7th NRL center

Try assists:
.....................equal 5th..................(best after spine);...............................equal 16th NRL center
Line break assists:..........equal 2nd..................(after Foran);.....................................equal..4th NRL center
Tackle breaks:................equal 3rd with 2.9.....(after Mbye and RFM);.......................equal..7th NRL center
Offloads:................................ 3rd with 1.3.....(after Woods and RFM);.....................equal..4th NRL center
Effective offloads:................... 3rd with 0.9.....(after Woods and RFM);.....................equal..5th NRL center
General play passes:.................5th with 6.6....(best after spine);..........................................3rd NRL center

***Hoppa has managed to achieve these stats in a one dimensional,slow,predictable,non creative,forward dominated structured team!

Defense:

Tackles:
............................11th with 12.7...(best of our three-quarters,closest is J.Morris '13th'with 9.3);..........equal 13th NRL center
Tackle efficiency:........equal 8th with 90% (similar to JJ with 90% and Tolman 91%);......................................equal...4th NRL center

Missed tackles:
..................15th with..0.9...(JJ '1st' with 2.3 and Foran '2nd' with 2.0);.....................................equal 31st NRL center
Ineffective tackles:..............9th with 0.7...(Foran '1st' with 1.4 and JJ '4th' with 1.0);.......................................equal 11th NRL center
Tries caused:..............equal 3rd with 0.7...(Montoya '1st' with 1.3 and JJ '4th' with 0.6);.................................equal 10th NRL center
Line breaks caused:.....equal 5th with 0.5...(Montoya '1st' with 0.7,Foran '3rd' with 0.6 and JJ '6th' with 0.4);..equal 15th NRL center
Errors:........................equal 5th with 0.6...(Foran '1st' with 1.1 and Montoya '2nd' with 1.0);..........................equal 26th NRL center

***All 4 members on our right side defense are fairing poorly,it's not exclusive to Hoppa.This is a due to the poor work rate of the Bulldogs middle forwards.
Lichaa is the only middle forward with acceptable stats,averaging 32.3 tackles per game (12th best hooker) for 93% efficiency (4th best hooker).

Average per game for Props/lock positions: (compared to 89 players, 55 are props and 34 are locks).

Woods:.....37th (17th prop + 20th as lock);............Tackles 24.0 for 91% efficiency.
Klemmer:.47th (equal 25th prop + 22nd as lock);..Tackles 21.9 for 93% efficiency.
Fualalo:....60th (32nd prop + 28th as lock);...........Tackles 20.6 for 92% efficiency.
Tolman:...52nd (24th lock + 28th as prop);............Tackles 21.5 for 91% efficiency.
Elliott:......73rd (30th lock + 43rd as prop);............Tackles 17.9 for 90% efficiency.

***Eastwood and Fine have not been included because they only averaged 12 tackles (83% efficiency) and 8 tackles (94% efficiency) respectively.

I've got no problem in criticizing Hoppa as I'm about to do to JJ,if he was playing as poorly as you say.
Do you expect Hoppa to lead every attacking stat in our team or the NRL? Could it be that our right side attack is poor because JJ is so pathetic in attack as a 2nd rower?

50 second rowers have played this year after discarding F.Winterstein (Manly) and Sorenson (Sharks).
JJ doesn't even rate amongst the top 20 attacking second rowers in the NRL.He's the 31st best for meters gained with a poor average of 73m per game.He's totally ineffective with 7.1m in average meters per run only beating W.Matthews (Titans) with 6.7m.

After Pay played JJ as right center,when Mbye was injured against Souths,he quickly realized that we are the only NRL team that needs to carry a dedicated back instead of an impact player,because none of our forwards except for Fine (if he's on the bench) can play center.This exhausts our interchanges,reducing the bench to a fucking joke! Thank God Pay used his creativity and turned this precarious situation to our benefit against the Cows. Besides being caught out of position numerous times JJ made it easy for Souths to stack,gang tackle and concentrate on our potent left edge,nullifying it during that important last quarter of the game.That's when you should have been using your fingers and toes to count your curses.

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Kid is a gun player agree with you there but has no skilled partner in the centres. Pay really needs to give the youngsters a crack and drop Floppa and Montoya they are the broken link in the chain for our outside backs.
Montoya maybe,but Hoppa is our most effective three-quarter and rates high as a center the NRL atm.The kid might be an up and coming gun but is nowhere near Hoppa's class.Read my reply to Bulldogger in this thread.

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Something has to change on that side its way too slow, the morris boys are way older and showing them how it should be done. If hoppa or Montoya need a spell in Reggie's then so be it give someone else a go. I would give this john olive a run, good speed which is what we lacking on that side
Are you for fucking real? Morris boys showing Hoppa up.Bro except for tries (problem is that attacking dud JJ),Hoppa beats them in every attacking stat.Olive's speed will be useless with JJ,screwing the right edge,he's the worst running 2nd rower in the NRL.Hoppa is carrying that edge by himself.Do you actually realize that only the props run more meters then him? Read my response to Bulldogger in this thread.

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Look people we are either going to spit out bs or talk real, backed by knowledge and facts.
I don't know what some of you watch,maybe you're too pissed to follow the games or don't have a fucking clue.
So please let's start backing our statements with facts and not act like putrid Manly thrash!
Remember who we are.We are the BULLDOGS,we stick by who is bleeding for our club and only piss on the bludgers.

Status
Not open for further replies.