I hate to say it but are looking at a wooden spoon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Interestingg

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Given recent performances of Tigers, knights and titans, the spoon is a very real possibility

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I'd prefer a wooden spoon than another boring 7th or 8th place finish if it comes as a result of changes being made and a plan being put in place to recruit the right players to the right positions and generally steering us back towards top 4 within a few years.
If we finish:-
15th in 2018
12th in 2019

Does Pay get his contract renewed?

Last edited:

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Luckily parra have hayne otherwise we'd be in line for the spoon easily.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Based on our current form we are a bottom 4 side. I don't think we'll end up with the spoon (just a gut feel). There's still an age left in the season and anything can happen with other teams like key injuries etc.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I have never seen such negativity. I know we are one from 5, but some of the games we lost were not that bad. Dean Pay only had input into keeping one player. That was Lichaa.
He inherited the rest. Some of the team are barely first grade standard, but hes stuck with them.
I still think the players should be blamed, not the coach. The players really need to get it all together, and we will start winning.
The first six rounds were the hardest in the draw also.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is we finish:-
15th in 2018
12th in 2019

It all depends on what happens on the field for me lets face it we aren't winning the comp and are miles off so ladder positions mean nothing at the minute.

If there's genuine progression then he deserves a new contract and if there isn't he doesn't.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I will stick to my pre-season tip of 11th - 13th. Long year and injuries have massive affect to teams.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think the Tigers are going to have a massive fall they have real problems in attack and have gotten out of jail with lucky tries against the Storm and Roosters.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I definitely think we had an off game against the raiders, I expect us to respond in a positive manner and I'm not ready to accept the spoon for now.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Is we finish:-
15th in 2018
12th in 2019

If he earns the respect of the players and the Board deems that Pay is able to get the most out of the current players then yes I think we should retain him.

Half the reason why Bellamy and the Storm have done so well has been all about Bellamy getting the most out of each Storm player.

Many of the Storm players over the years have not been superstars, but Bellamy has managed to get the most out of each player, and that combined effort of each player has lead to a lot of the Storm's success.

If Pay can do something along these lines (getting some of our mediocre players to perform to their potential), then I am more than happy to sit patiently while we miss out on the 8 for a couple of years.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Not to worried how we end up this yr... I'm more concerned we hit the floor running next yr.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I find it hard to imagine that the Eels will be terrible for the entire season and so, I think we are favourites for the spoon

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
It all depends on what happens on the field for me lets face it we aren't winning the comp and are miles off so ladder positions mean nothing at the minute.

If there's genuine progression then he deserves a new contract and if there isn't he doesn't.
Personally I think certain players are playing so far below their ability it is not funny.

Fualolo: dropsy, playing awful.
Taulau: dropsy brother no.2.
Elliott: there are no words.
Eastwood: Health issues, carrying too much weight.
Very good player in the past for the club but we're not going to get much out of him this season.

Jackson: worst I've seen him play.
Woods: his post contact meters are not bad but we need heaps more 2nd phase play from his offloads.

Lichaa: ?? good defender.
But we need much more in attack from him, a much better passing game, a few kicks from dummy half.

Yes there needs to be a 2nd attacking option at the 5th tackle not just Foran but what I am saying is that no way our squad should be wooden spoon contenders.

To me there is complacency about the place.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
If he earns the respect of the players and the Board deems that Pay is able to get the most out of the current players then yes I think we should retain him.

Half the reason why Bellamy and the Storm have done so well has been all about Bellamy getting the most out of each Storm player.

Many of the Storm players over the years have not been superstars, but Bellamy has managed to get the most out of each player, and that combined effort of each player has lead to a lot of the Storm's success.

If Pay can do something along these lines (getting some of our mediocre players to perform to their potential), then I am more than happy to sit patiently while we miss out on the 8 for a couple of years.
Yes spot on.

Question for you, looking at our squad to you think the team has started the season playing to the best of their ability?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Personally I think certain players are playing so far below their ability it is not funny.

Fualolo: dropsy, playing awful.
Taulau: dropsy brother no.2.
Elliott: there are no words.
Eastwood: Health issues, carrying too much weight.
Very good player in the past for the club but we're not going to get much out of him this season.

Jackson: worst I've seen him play.
Woods: his post contact meters are not bad but we need heaps more 2nd phase play from his offloads.

Lichaa: ?? good defender.
But we need much more in attack from him, a much better passing game, a few kicks from dummy half.

Yes there needs to be a 2nd attacking option at the 5th tackle not just Foran but what I am saying is that no way our squad should be wooden spoon contenders.

To me there is complacency about the place.
There’s no doubt most players aren’t playing to their potential at the minute. This weeks game will tell us a lot if they dish up a similar effort to the Canberra game it will be a major concern there should be a big reaction.

Agree on all your player summaries and I’m not sure how patient we can be with JMK he has to get more involved otherwise Foran is a sitting duck.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I find it hard to imagine that the Eels will be terrible for the entire season and so, I think we are favourites for the spoon
Eels are going to go for run mid year.. once they get 5 strike players back they will be a different team.

ash160

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the spoon is a real possibility this year...gonna be a miserable couple of seasons

Robert61

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I have never seen such negativity. I know we are one from 5, but some of the games we lost were not that bad. Dean Pay only had input into keeping one player. That was Lichaa.
He inherited the rest. Some of the team are barely first grade standard, but hes stuck with them.
I still think the players should be blamed, not the coach. The players really need to get it all together, and we will start winning.
The first six rounds were the hardest in the draw also.
You won't get any argument from me on blaming the players not the coach. Watching the game between Panthers and Parramatta I can tell you now that had we played Parramatta and not Penrith we would have been crushed by Parramatta. Penrith won by big hits in the forwards forcing the Eels into dropped balls and moving forward (not sideways or backwards like us) and with controlled aggression. When the Eels were tackled they were pushed back many times. Eels were not allowed to settle into their game because of this. None of dogs do not currently possess any of these factors.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Dont worry guys weve got jack cogger coming next year lol

Status
Not open for further replies.