Not open for further replies.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
seriously guys

What did you all expect this season?

We don’t have the players

Pay for inherited a squad of players all over paid on heavily back ended contracts

A complete new spine
And new game plan

This year was always going to be tough.

Des inherited a squad capable of winning the minor premiership in all 3 grades

And in his 5 years destroyed that to the shit we now have that Pay has to fix as a rookie

Give him 3 years guys
It’s unfair to expect miracles.

I do agree with calls for players like to woods to be dropped though

Pay needs to be tough on the players

Like dymic when he dropped jmoz

Sometimes coaches need to make tough calls

Whilst I’m not after miracles I do expect better than what we saw against the raiders

Let’s get behind the team and hope for something better in the coming weeks

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
2020 is our best shot and we may have a few years after that if the club plays its cards right. Im just worried most our players will be off contract the same yr we fill out best team.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I expect more effort

The Raiders were so depleted that any other team would have put them away in the last 20

Instead we let them march up field and Montoya just watches Croker score on him.....twice

Pay has overhauled our defence to some outdated umbrella defence

There are areas he can improve immediately to give us a chance of making the 8.

Our attack looks the same as last year with same results

Hopefully no JJ next week forces a reshuffling of players and mindset

Cowboys are going to put 50 on us if we don’t make the necessary quick adjustments

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Im just disappointed that our defense got worse.
I appreciate that, and I’m share that sentiment

Defence is largely an attitude thing
But what worries me is our defensive structure leaves a lot to be desired

Where did n Mbye to cover the kick behind the line?

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I already said it 2 years ago, don’t expect anything post des for at least 2 years. I will be happy if we avoid the spoon this year. Anything else is a bonus.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
This place is a forum after all and im happy to have ppl posting stupid ideas, and negative comments as well as the well constructed posts. It what makes this forum so interesting.

I for one cant see us being serious contenders for the foreseeable future if at all, unless we get major major marquee signings and rebuilding of our juniors.

Besides Ben barba, our only other superstar we have brought through the grades was SBW 14yrs ago . yes we have top players who have gone on to play for Australia nsw etc but actual superstar status... its been a very long time since we have brought through any...

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I appreciate that, and I’m share that sentiment

Defence is largely an attitude thing
But what worries me is our defensive structure leaves a lot to be desired

Where did n Mbye to cover the kick behind the line?
I'm surprised more people haven't commented on lack of cover defence this season so far.

We have had a few length of field tries put on us when the opposition scoops up the ball off one of our kicks.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
seriously guys

What did you all expect this season?

We don’t have the players

Pay for inherited a squad of players all over paid on heavily back ended contracts

A complete new spine
And new game plan

This year was always going to be tough.

Des inherited a squad capable of winning the minor premiership in all 3 grades

And in his 5 years destroyed that to the shit we now have that Pay has to fix as a rookie

Give him 3 years guys
It’s unfair to expect miracles.

I do agree with calls for players like to woods to be dropped though

Pay needs to be tough on the players

Like dymic when he dropped jmoz

Sometimes coaches need to make tough calls

Whilst I’m not after miracles I do expect better than what we saw against the raiders

Let’s get behind the team and hope for something better in the coming weeks
I didn't expect a number of players to go backwards this season.
Remember how we were all reading the team was "training the house down" that the team was "more relaxed and happy" under the new coach.

Well:-

Adam Elliott has been a disgrace!
Danny Fualalo worse than last year.
Francis Tualau promising last year, this year total shit.

Not to mention Woods & Jackson so far below their best it is not funny.

Is it not the coaches responsibility to get the best out of the players that we have?

No I didn't expect a premiership, but I certainly expected more than what we saw on Thursday night.

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Havent we made the 8 every year except for last year with similar teams? The expectation is not to go backward from that.
I think it is a realistic expectation for the team to be at least close to the top 8. It is ridiculous to say we dont have the kettle to get to the level that we have been achieving in the last few years.
Cant believe all these talks about not having the players and shouldnt expect much. All fans should expect their team to improve every year or at least match their previous achievement. For us it is top 8. Or close to it if we use last years result.

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
Imho we dont have a bad team at all. Most are very capable players. Woods, as lazy as he can be, can actually put in mom performances. He just needs a good kick up the arse. I wasnt a fan of signing him, but we're stuck with him now.
Elliott provides nothing. JMK although has a good kick on him, has been very quiet behind the ruck at crucial times. Needs to get involved a lot more. MM and hoppa need to work on their defence. Lack of communication perhaps? And lichaa even though is running more, needs quicker service to his halves.

We wont come near that trophy this year but with a few tweaks, hopefully we can compete well.

crack

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I don’t expect a premiership this year or next but I do expect to see a team that’s competitive and having a decent crack! For me , Woods isn’t offloading which makes him an easy target for defence when he just one out taking hit ups , this needs to change , Mbye needs to sit with Lamb and learn to start supporting RFM and woods on every hit up , he also needs to be better in is defensive positional play , so far it’s been terrible. Montoya needs to go , he just doesn’t have the size or pace to be NRL winger in this day and age , I’d put Olive in and see how he goes , Elliot needs to play ISP , give Martin or Okunbor a crack they can’t be any worse. Bring Frawley back in and keep JMK on the bench as impact utility. If we are 1-7 by round 8 , blood as many ISP players as possible to see who makes the massive clean out over the next 2 years.
I didn’t have high expectations this year in the hope I would be pleasantly surprised , I’m gutted it’s round 5 and our season is all but riden off.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This place is a forum after all and im happy to have ppl posting stupid ideas, and negative comments as well as the well constructed posts. It what makes this forum so interesting.

I for one cant see us being serious contenders for the foreseeable future if at all, unless we get major major marquee signings and rebuilding of our juniors.

Besides Ben barba, our only other superstar we have brought through the grades was SBW 14yrs ago . yes we have top players who have gone on to play for Australia nsw etc but actual superstar status... its been a very long time since we have brought through any...
When we develop super stars re. SBW Mason Barba outside forces get to them and turn them against us. (you may or may not agree but I could elaborate much more on this issue).

gazza

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The new Committee will take time to right the ship. How stupid was it to subsidise Graham to play for Saints to buy Woods. Like hello? Big Sammy has slimmed down and playing well for the Storm. Numerous other players were let go and are now doing well at other clubs. Poor old Beastwood wo has given great service since coming down from the Broncos so many years ago, still puts in but no longer has any agility. And I won't even go near the goal kicking problem. This team will take time to get the make-over it desperately needs. But the players should be doing better than they are. They need someone who can teach them to tackle. And I mean TACKLE!!!!. Momentum, technique, HURT. This mob don't put any impact into their tackles. Hence they lose too much territory back peddling and even then allow the ball runner to pass for a second phase with 3 doggies hugging them rather than tackling them. I don't expect much any time soon.

stinkypinky

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I want to see them at least have a go even it they go down fighting I will be happy with that but what They dished up against the raiders was ridiculous

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
If mbye sorts out his support play and is there waiting for RFM or Sharon to get the offload away he would create some magic, but the style of play is not allowing such things.. maybe they all need to do what lichaa did last year? Just play what’s in front of them..

They all need to be let off the chain an try some adlib footy.. lots of second phase! Because that’s what worked for foz Try.just got for it..noting too lose right ??

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
If Pay didn't look like a massive dud i'd be more supportive.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
In all honesty do u really hate Dean pay as coach??
I don't hate him, but i wasn't excited by his signing at the time and so far he has done nothing to change my opinion on him.

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I expected a bottom four finish.

I didn't expect to be so useless though. Thought we would be more competitive. Lose, but lose by 2 or so points. Not lose by getting bitch slapped over the park

Status
Not open for further replies.