Recruitment Suggestions - Consolidated Thread

Should the bulldogs make Reynolds priority number one target for 2022?

• Total voters

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Aiden sezer
Mansour... didn’t want him at first but better then what we have
Opacic
Junior paulo
Papali

We should buy all of them
To name a few
Sell morrises and other duds should free up a fair amount. I agree with you but we should go for hess maybe.

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
honestly from everything ive seen. foran needs a better partner, woods is a myth as ive always known, Jackson needs to get the c stripped off him so he can get back to his best, klemmer plays for stats and needs to stop worrying about hitting into 3 defenders and getting dominated most of the time. we have no go forward at all, I can count on one hand when our forwards got momentum for our backs last night and that is a joke. we are meant to be feared lol yea more like our forwards are the ones getting scared.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
What about that english forward being linked to the nrl? Alex walmsley was it? He might add some starch to the pack.
Pangai jnr will stay at broncos. Shannon boyd at a cheap price to be a bench front rower for us might work.
Also that jermaine Mcgillvary might be a good wing option.
I think he signed on with St Helens. With Holbrook coaching and Barba killing it, I guess he saw the club winning multiple premierships very soon.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
They aren't the problem BUT they are nowhere the solution either and the money they command isnt worth it for next year onwards. I personally would rather some younger version of these 2 when they were fkn fast, hungry and actually threatened the opposition
Their defensive skills and ability to cross the line comes from strength and experience . They are individually superior to most players in their position..
Those young fast hungry players you speak of are few n far between anyway and are usually assisted by decent halfbacks.

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
And ffs if someone in that coaching staff tell Montoya to stay on that fucking wing and if he is going to Jam in and go for a big hit fucking make and don’t do it every time they go out his way created over laps all night

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Graham was one of the best buys of the season. He's having a blinder at the dragons. Hats off to him. Woods has not lived up to money paid for him.
is that a surprise to anyone. management should have torn up woods contract and kept graham. what any half minded person would have done. but no we got rid of graham our defence machine and got a stupid tall **** who has no idea. he talks more rubbish in media then he performs and he will never live up to his own hype he thinks he can dominate. lol yea right

ajay78

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
FMD... Been following the Dogs since 88 and can't believe I'm going to be alive to see them compete for the Spoon!!

UndeadShadowMan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have a small & soft forward pack these days also compared to previous years lost the intimidation factor.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I would even look overseas starting in the islands. I'm sure there's more than a few Vutavalus running around in Fiji and you would get them at a bargain. Not being disrespectful but a lot would jump at the chance of playing first grade for little money in comparison. Look at Ado Carr and Vutavalu not even a million between them and the deadliest winger combo in the game.
The Islanders are wonderful people. They are wonderful athletes. But they dont all make wonderful footballers. Their biggest drawback
is their distinct lack of stamina. If you choose to recruit more Islanders, then only get them to play in the backs.
Taulau, Fualolo, Fine,Toomaga, Okunbar, Ogden, etc, are not top class forwards.
I know someone will try and put a racist slant on this, but thats not what its about. More carrots and less coconuts are needed.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Our best set of the night was the one that led to Foran's try and it was on the back of offloads. We find something that works and we then don't use it again?? Klemmer and Woods are one dimensional, Woods doesn't even hit the line facing the oppositions try line, he turns around and hits the line with his arse and walks backwards. Give them a spell and see how much they want to play first grade.
I agree.
Hopoate has been making a lot if meters and he can break tackles.
That inside pass to Foran was good.
Pay needs to work on that and support players for guys in the team who do actually run hard and offload.

But our forwards just seem incapable of doing that, running hard dragging in defenders and getting offloads. Woods has on occasion but generally the forwards just don't seem capable to me.

Speaking of the forwards 3 stand out that their performance is way down on even last years low standard, Elliott, Fualalo & Taulau. Dropping the ball, they are driving me nuts.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
All the people saying Pay must go have rocks in their heads. IT'S BEEN 5 MATCHES YOU IDIOTS. WAIT until he rebuilds the team and see who he signs and releases before making any judgement. He has completely inherited a side that Des put together. Now is his time to start making changes. FFS you don't inherit a team and expect to change them overnight.
His big signing is jack cogger

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can all the drama queens calm down. This was always going to be a rough year - temper your expectations.

Our only real unsolvable problem (short term) is Woods, he's a good player but he's only compounded our balance problem in the pack and financially. Completely redundant to let Graham go and pay part of his salary to save money to turn around and spend 800k on Woods
I think I hate him more then tolman just because of what we are paying him

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Gideon Gela Mosby... gotta offer the kid the $$$ defies belief that he's stuck behind Winterstein and Bowen. Wont start sets like Mansour (not many do) but he will certainly finish and create better.
His quick we know that.. my only issue is montoya mbye and mosby at the back, quiet the inexperienced backline.

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
honestly from everything ive seen. foran needs a better partner, woods is a myth as ive always known, Jackson needs to get the c stripped off him so he can get back to his best, klemmer plays for stats and needs to stop worrying about hitting into 3 defenders and getting dominated most of the time. we have no go forward at all, I can count on one hand when our forwards got momentum for our backs last night and that is a joke. we are meant to be feared lol yea more like our forwards are the ones getting scared.
I know some of the Tiger’s management they were falling over in disbelief when we threw the farm at Woods. They stuck it up us with that transaction; lose Woods- gain Matulino/Packer
If we’re competitive by 2020 I’d be happy

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Moses Mbye - clearly an athletic player who can pass, kick, is not a liability in defence and whose best attribute is his running... can break tackles and has the speed to make the tryline... it is clear though from his time in the halves that unless he has a strong, organisational half next to him, he will not be a success in either the '6' or '7' jersey... he should be kept and i am happy for him to continue at fullback... i have been impressed with Foran's organisation thus far and another possibility would be to play him at five eighth
2. Brett Morris - a great winger in his prime... very fast, strong, helps the team with his early hit ups from near his own tryline, a great try scorer and has proven himself at both club and rep level... did have some issues with his handling early on in his career but has become very safe over the years... but the Dragons clearly thought he was past his best and not worth the money to pay him to play on the wing... to be fair to Des, he brought him across as a fullback post-Barba implosion but Morris is a runner and not a ball player... that in of itself is not enough to rule someone out as a fullback if they have the right players in the halves (eg. see the Dragons with Dufty with Hunt and Widdop in the halves or the Panthers with Edwards with Maloney and Cleary in the halves)... but for the Dogs, we have not had the halves and just like with Hopoate at fullback, Morris just added to the lack of attacking potency at fullback... importantly, too, he has missed a lot of football since moving across... would look to move him on at the end of 2018
3. Josh Morris - his 10th season at the Dogs and for a majority of that time he has been very good/great for us... strong, fast and defensively sound... a good try scoring record... but it is clear recently just how much of his pace he has lost... i am also worried about some of his brain fades... time devours every sportsmen (bar maybe LeBron) but most players usually compensate by playing smarter... Morris has gone in the other direction... for example, running the ball out from our own line on the second tackle and despite his lessening speed and strength, he meets the oncoming defensive line standing straight instead of looking for the ground and gets pushed back in and we now have to drop out... people can say it is a minor thing but it speaks to his lack of judgement... i hope he gets his 100th try for the club but i would not keep him beyond 2018
4. William Hopoate - hard to get a read on him... when he first came onto the scene with Manly, he seemed like a future perennial rep player --> had size, good (not great) pace, was a safe player and seemed very mature as a player for his years... hence, he got picked in the Origin team... but he really does not seem to be the same player athletically that he was prior to his Mormon mission... because of his utility value (ie. can play a couple different positions) and contract, i would keep him... his not playing on his sabbath is one of the stupider decisions a club has allowed that i have seen
5. Marcelo Montoya - had high hopes for him when he first came into FG but has been very disappointing for 2018... does not have the pace i thought he did and seems to get burned too easily by his direct opponents... i also think he lacks judgement in the defensive line... i cannot imagine he is on good money and thus, i would keep... needs a spell in the reserves to work on his game
6. we have no clear option for a halves partner for Foran and the 'Dogs need to recruit AND develop halves options
7. Kieran Foran - i think he has been good for us thus far and has the necessary skills and judgement to lead the team around... in particular, i love his ability and mindset to take the ball to the line before kicking, passing or running but the support players are not moving with him to capitalise... the biggest issue with Foran is his body... he really looks like a player that has a lot of mileage on the clock already and is breaking down... would keep but, as above, recruit and develop halves options
8. Aaron Woods - hard to believe being in two minds about an experienced prop but i am... he has good attributes being the amount of minutes he can play, his off load, the problems his size can cause in the defensive line and his experience... but on the other hand, he lacks impact, can be lazy and just comes across as soft... we should though give him some time to acclimatise to the new team and environment... we should consider benching him though... would keep (especially considering his contract)
9. Michael Lichaa - there are two major issues for me when it comes to Lichaa... first is his judgement and decision making... too often he takes too long to make his mind up or takes the wrong option... he doesn't see where the defensive line may be short and can be exploited or gets the offence moving forward... second his service is not crisp and fast enough --> now this is something that he can f*%#ing work on and improve... i cannot imagine he is on too much money and so i would keep but i would also trial secondary options (eg. Woolford) off the bench
10. David Klemmer - our best prop option and should be kept... does need to look to incorporate an off load into his game otherwise defences will simply gang up on him and dominate him in the tackle and breakdown
11. Josh Jackson - has struggled of late but a quality player that has proven himself previously running good lines on the right and being a strong defender... we may wish to move him to lock for his work rate and see whether we can find a more damaging second rower on the right to provide more attacking potency... would keep
12. RFM - provides an attacking option on the left and is strong and athletic (as a lot of Polynesian back rowers can be)... needs a better attitude in defence and has a poor ball carry... if you are holding the ball around the middle of it, you will often lose control of it with some strong contact... again, something easily fixed with some proper instruction by the coaching staff... would keep
13. Adam Elliott - poor handling, slow lateral movement, bad judgement and discipline... would not keep

14. Aiden Tolman - lacks impact and gets too involved late in sets but is a solid, safe option in the prop rotation... he is one of the few players we have that actually shows some intelligence... should keep IF we haven't paid him too much
15. Greg Eastwood - strong player in the middle third, had good footwork in and just before the defensive line, can ball play a bit and can dominate attacking players in defence with some strong tackles... the problem is his conditioning... he has never been seen as having the ideal physique but now in the latter part of his career, it is really hampering him and the team as a whole... can only really play now as a middle third player/prop off the bench for short spells... would/will get torn to shreds in defence out wide... would not keep
16. Danny Fualalo - not really fan of him or the other options that have been trialled thus far (eg. Tualau, Fine) and would not keep
17. Nu Brown - have not seen much of him yet but i have not been impressed thus far... would not keep

the above seems our best 17 and i would look to move on 7