TOLMAN @ 13, Good Move IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Tolman was good last night.

Tolman aint no Taumalolo or Josh Maguire, nor can we have a superstar in every position, but it is evident that none of our bench players deserve a start over Tolman at 13.

Tolman can only be replaced by Jackson but then we need another quality backrower. Tolman is definitely valuable to our team this year and it is going to be very interesting what Pay will do with the recruiting for next year. Will Pay find a lock and do a straight replacement with Tolman or will Pay find a backrower and move Jackson into lock.

Our right edge D is a concern with Foran. Foran definitely knows how to read the defence and defend but his body cannot move laterally as quick as his brain. We have leaked alot of points on that right edge and its going to be a very difficult one to fix. I personally think moving forward we will need to move Jackson to lock and find a backrower who is a clone of Gavin Cooper and has JT's back in defence.

Pay definitely knows this is an issue as a few times last night Mbye moved into the line with Foran in defence and the Panthers put in a few kicks in behind and we almost got caught out.

Well done to Josh Morris on the length of the field try. You still have some speed in those old legs!!

I will be honest I stopped reading at the part you said no every side can have a superstar in every position because that does not mean we need to have Tolman in the side.

We have plenty of players in our 13 that are not superstars so we not expecting that. But I've said before if he has to be in the team I would rather him start at 13.. offers no impact of the bench doesn't suit him and to start in the front row his shit so that doesn't work

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not at all, literally played exactly the same as he has all season except he started and got more minutes. The sooner Jackson wears the 13 the better off we will be.
Give correct where its due ffs. You are a little child. I was very anti Tolman as well but if you cant see the benefit of what he brings to our side after last night then you are a bigger moron then I thought. Tolman playing at lock balanced our pack very well. Its no conicendce we all of sudden leaked less points. Tolman played 60 quality minutes last night. Admit you were wrong and move on. I have. Tolman and Graham in the same pack doesnt work. But Tolman Woods and Klemmer will work together.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Give correct where its due ffs. You are a little child. I was very anti Tolman as well but if you cant see the benefit of what he brings to our side after last night then you are a bigger moron then I thought. Tolman playing at lock balanced our pack very well. Its no conicendce we all of sudden leaked less points. Tolman played 60 quality minutes last night. Admit you were wrong and move on. I have. Tolman and Graham in the same pack doesnt work. But Tolman Woods and Klemmer will work together.
And i don't agree.

The Jerker

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
2017 Premiers Storm - Slade Griffin
2016 Premiers Sharks - Matt Prior
2015 Premiers Cowboys - Scott Bolton
2014 Premiers Souffs - Jason Clark
2013 Premiers Roosters - Luke O'Donnell
2012 Premiers Storm - Todd Lowrie
2011 Premiers Manly - Shane Rodney
2010 Premiers Dragons - Neville Costigan/Jarryd Saffy
2009 Premiers Storm - Dallas Johnson
2008 Premiers Manly - Mark Bryant
2007 Premiers Storm - Dallas Johnson
2006 Premiers Broncos - David Stagg
2005 Premiers Wests Tigers - Mark O'neil
2004 Premiers Bulldogs - TONY GRIMALDI

I rest my case!!!
There is no way in the world that Luke O’Donnell can be compared to Aiden Tolman/ David Stagg. I also don’t agree that Scott Bolton fits this mould.

In saying that you make a good point with Grimaldi, Johnson, Costigan and Lawrie.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Oh relax buddy all of a sudden after a win we don't need to release Tolman? We need him to win the comp? Please sit down and relax seems like you have blown your load over a win.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Sorry bud I just can't jump on the Tolman bandwagon with this every team needs a Tolman crap..

I would say every team needs a woods or a graham or a Gallen but not a Tolman

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Oh relax buddy all of a sudden after a win we don't need to release Tolman? We need him to win the comp? Please sit down and relax seems like you have blown your load over a win.
I know right. Tolman did the same things he normally does that people usually complain about yet because we won he was great lol. If we lost would they be complaining about his slow play the balls, low metres and lack of dominance in the ruck? Probably.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Tolman wasn’t any better last night then the previous 2 rounds!
Exactly. So if you think he was great last night then you should have thought he was great the previous 2 weeks.

LG

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tolman still doesn't suit our current roster set up, him as a tackle sponge at lock did work better but we are still gonna be better off with him at another club before seasons end (i am a tolman fan btw, we just don't have enough impact runners to carry a guy like him for such long periods)

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If he has to be in our team. Lock for 60mins is what is needed.

We have no quality to replace jackson on the edge. Unless its elliot.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Elliott is crap
Mate.

Hope
He’s dropped for
To’omaga to get a crack!

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tolman doesn't bring anything to the side. There are endless players who would cost half as much who can make as many tackles and hit ups, and with better quality. He's got a big contract with us, and we have to honor that as long as he wants to, but hopefully another club will help us pay some of his contract from next year. I can't see Pay changing the side for next week though and that's fair enough.

addoujspark

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I know right. Tolman did the same things he normally does that people usually complain about yet because we won he was great lol. If we lost would they be complaining about his slow play the balls, low metres and lack of dominance in the ruck? Probably.
Lmao spot on there buddy only difference was he wasn't in the way and the likes of fualalo and tualau woods klemmer were able to dominate I sure hope the aparent deal with the sharks pulls through

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its been easy to see that in our first 2 games our D around the ruck has been cut to shreds. Enter Tolman.
Sure there are plenty of you out there that love to bag this guy, & I think its mainly due to his efforts with the ball. But lets not forget the most important part of winning premierships..... "DEFENCE"
On countless occasions I recall Tolman being that man who chased back on the inside to make that last ditch line break saving or try saving tackle. Remember that try saver in the 80th minute Vs Manly in that 2012 Semi on the try line after a break. Good thing is, this guy can do it well & do it for 80 minutes if required.
Every premiership team needs at least one of these guys in their team to just tackle their heart out non stop.
Remember our last premiership team - 13. GRIMALDI, I cant remember too many tackle busts or offloads but he always turned up in D when we needed him & we wouldn't have won it without him.
Absolutely not.
If anyone cares to take note, in my initial post to this thread my point was about what I believed the advantage of playing Tolman in 13 would bring us, and I believed he would help tighten up the defence around the ruck.
The result is there for us all to see in last nights game - ZERO Tries were scored against us last night through our middle third compared to numerous from the previous weeks.
I also knew that this thread would create some good banter and plenty of differing opinions from all, as some people (GOATENKS For example) are very anti Tolman, but that's ok because we are all passionate about the club we love and are all entitled to our opinions.

Last edited:

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did anyone else notice Tolman and our kick chase 1st one there most times. Or pressure on the panthers kickers mostly him doing that.

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last night wasnt just any win. It was our first nrl win in 6 months. It was Dean Pays 1st win as a head coach so of course ive blown my load, like alot of our supporters. So how about you stop being a fucken smart arse. Relax calm down yourself and stop being a fuckwit.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
No doubt compared to other clubs tolman is considered average. At the dogs while he is here lock position suits him. He won't start in front of the Aus front rowers and he isn't a bench player. So until there is a better option tolman is our 13. The team will get better and gain confidence from that win. Better times ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.