R3 - Bulldogs vs Panthers - Team List & Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dog 4life

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Tonight will really tell us what lies ahead. Panthers have lost McKendry, DWZ and Tim Browne.
The senior players in our squad really need to aim up. Hasnt been happening.
If we get beat tonight, then tough times lie ahead.
The game is tomorrow 6 pm not tonight

Z-Dizzle

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Brown getting a good amount of time at 9 will:
- Provide Better ball transition. Brown's experience at 6 means he can play as 9 that hangs in the middle and offer a second receiver link option in transition. Pay has stated this is something they are trying to do in Attack.
- Faster passing off the ground to get the forwards rolling over the advantage line better.
- Good left foot kicking game

This is why Brown was originally signed as a 9 over to Leicha, because he is a better option at 9 and more utility value
Going to have to disagree with some of your points. Brown, like Lichaa, gives bad service Fromm dummy half but has a strong running game. Bronson Garlick gives better service and when he comes on in NSW Cup the forwards get a much better roll on as he looks like a natural hooker.

Brown will be another JMK off the bench, which I don’t see the need for. Let Lichaa play 80, he should have the fitness for it. We need size on the bench, another prop on that bench would give us more impact, not a utility.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We're gonna get smashed, still lacking a professional fullback.

N

Natboy

Going to have to disagree with some of your points. Brown, like Lichaa, gives bad service Fromm dummy half but has a strong running game. Bronson Garlick gives better service and when he comes on in NSW Cup the forwards get a much better roll on as he looks like a natural hooker.

Brown will be another JMK off the bench, which I don’t see the need for. Let Lichaa play 80, he should have the fitness for it. We need size on the bench, another prop on that bench would give us more impact, not a utility.
Garlic stinks

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Going a bit off topic hahaha

Anyone got kennel tickets ??? It’s sold out

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

Yh i don't see the point in rotating hookers though i don't mind having the utility on the bench as cover. HIA's are so common these days and us losing a half to injury is close to game over for us with our current side. But i wouldn't just play then utility for the sake of it like we have been with JMK.

I'd rather just load up with 3 middle forwards and the utility. Jackson starts at lock and can cover the edge if required and we have 3 hard running forwards off the bench that can play a short high intensity stint either side of halftime. Woods and Klemmer should be pushing 55m most weeks, Jackson is potentially one of the few players in the game that could play 80 at lock. Either way the minutes required off the bench wouldn't be massive.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Mbye is killing it in attack. No drops, strong returns. Defence hasn’t been noticeably poor.

I bet Ennis would kill it at fullback though

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Mbye is killing it in attack. No drops, strong returns. Defence hasn’t been noticeably poor.

I bet Ennis would kill it at fullback though
I wouldn't say mbyes killing it . He's just keeping his head above water well , you know ,maybe because he's not a professional fullback .

You had to bring up. Ennis wouldn't make a good fullback either because I don't know maybe because he's not a professional fullback . On the other hand Ennis is a go forward type of player and he'd probably be OK in any other position though.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I wouldn't say mbyes killing it . He's just keeping his head above water well , you know ,maybe because he's not a professional fullback .

You had to bring up. Ennis wouldn't make a good fullback either because I don't know maybe because he's not a professional fullback . On the other hand Ennis is a go forward type of player and he'd probably be OK in any other position though.
Ffs seriously you're the only one I've seen criticise mbye at fullback

The kids doing a great job considering the lack of experience he has playing there. As he gains more experience he'll get better and better but the basics are definitely there

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ffs seriously you're the only one I've seen criticise mbye at fullback

The kids doing a great job considering the lack of experience he has playing there. As he gains more experience he'll get better and better but the basics are definitely there
I realise he's doing a good job as a fill in , he's probably in the same calibre as Sam perrett but my comment is not a personal attack on mbye I'm pointing out the 'elephant in the room' where we've just learnt to live with 'make do' fullbacks for far too long.
Fullbacks are prominent in attacking football but he's not (not personal) just pointing it out

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I realise he's doing a good job as a fill in , he's probably in the same calibre as Sam perrett but my comment is not a personal attack on mbye I'm pointing out the 'elephant in the room' where we've just learnt to live with 'make do' fullbacks for far too long.
Fullbacks are prominent in attacking football but he's not (not personal) just pointing it out
He's faster, has a better passing game, has a better running game, so no he's not like Perret. With experience, he's going to learn when he needs to chime in in attack, both backline movements and offloads.

So no, he's nothing like Perret. He's got the potential to be an extremely good fullback for us, the "rockstar" full back we've been waiting for

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He's faster, has a better passing game, has a better running game, so no he's not like Perret. With experience, he's going to learn when he needs to chime in in attack, both backline movements and offloads.

So no, he's nothing like Perret. He's got the potential to be an extremely good fullback for us, the "rockstar" full back we've been waiting for
Yh he has all the core skills to succeed at fullback, just needs the experience to develop the game sense from the back. He's also being used in more of a Coote like role on the edges instead of through middle at this stage, that's probably down to him still learning the position and trying to make it as simple as possible for him at this stage and the fact that we're lacking in a strong halves option for Foran.

Gabs

Dumbfounded
Reaction score
Does anyone actually think we will be capable of holding Penrith to under 18 points in order to have a chance of winning this game?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Does anyone actually think we will be capable of holding Penrith to under 18 points in order to have a chance of winning this game?
If it's a wet game a think we could do it..if it's not then i'm less confident. We also have to watch the metres Penriths backs make as that killes us against the Roosters. Mansour, Edwards and Blake all all strong runners and get set rolling.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I’d rather mbye trail the forwards up the middle
We are to guilty of going lateral
If mbye supports up the middle off woods and any second phase play he’d be more dangerous.
Even an inside ball from a forward the move used by jimmy graham back to bmoz in prev years.
Hed catch lazy defenders later in any half

Gabs

Dumbfounded
Reaction score
If it's a wet game a think we could do it..if it's not then i'm less confident. We also have to watch the metres Penriths backs make as that killes us against the Roosters. Mansour, Edwards and Blake all all strong runners and get set rolling.
I am not confident at all. As you say, we have conceded plenty of metres at the start of a set but also, our middle looks so loose its not funny. We've had 11 tries put on us in two games.

How much work (if any) did they do on defence in the off season. Clearly, they've worked on attack but look like they've done nothing about the defence.

Sorry for the pessimism but I spent the off season believing the hype the club itself put out about returning to being the 'Dogs of War'. These guys are nothing like the great dogs teams of the 80's and early to mid 90's!

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I am not confident at all. As you say, we have conceded plenty of metres at the start of a set but also, our middle looks so loose its not funny. We've had 11 tries put on us in two games.

How much work (if any) did they do on defence in the off season. Clearly, they've worked on attack but look like they've done nothing about the defence.

Sorry for the pessimism but I spent the off season believing the hype the club itself put out about returning to being the 'Dogs of War'. These guys are nothing like the great dogs teams of the 80's and early to mid 90's!
Pay brought the shitty Raiders defensive system with him and scrapped what we already had. No idea why he felt the need to do that as an overhaul wasn't required, we simply needed to just work on things like increasing our line speed.

Our edge defenders are just way too exposed atm. We stack our middle with extra numbers however the extra numbers aren't actually effective because we aren't dominting the ruck enough and our line speed is lacking. The opposition then gains momentum and shift to our edges where our defenders are isolated and any small error from them is almost impossible ro recover from.

The players simply aren't executing well enough but i still doubt the systems overall effectiveness, just feels like we're putting ourselves under too much pressure out wide.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
There's lot of photos of Tualau from the captains run online...hopefully get gets a spot in the 17 and performs so he holds it.

OITENTA-E-NOVE

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
im confident in a win!!! jmk is going to play outstanding!!!..... but i also said that the boys would be within a try heading into halftime last round sooooo take it as you will

Status
Not open for further replies.