Should we make a play for Matt Gillett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Z-Dizzle

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are better second rowers available at the end of this year than Gillet that would likely be cheaper and have a bigger impact on our style of play.

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Using 2017 as an indicator Matt Gillett does his best work in rep games and after SOO starts (May 31-Jul 12). Last year in rounds 7-13 (Apr 14-Jun 2),the rounds prior SOO he was ordinary,so much so that most critics said he was being picked on reputation which through the years has been typical of Qld.To me this indicates that Matt plays for fame (or himself-saves his body)and not the club.If you want a consistent season long club-man Matt is not the answer.I agree with Mr.Invisible and "Would prefer someone younger".

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cotric isn't available till end of 2020 season.

Maybe it's just me but I don't rate Oates... He's too big, bulky, and slow for a winger.

I think we are fine for wingers, it's Hoppa in the centres that doesn't convince me. But with Frawley out of the way we might see our centres get better ball now.

People forget we've also got (injured) Clay Priest... he can slot straight into lock, and maybe that was the idea (and Elliott is just benchwarming).

Fensom is available too (he was an animal the other year).. but like Gillett he's older.
My bad, thought it was end of 2019 season.
I like hoppa, smart player just needs good ball.
See what you mean with Oates, he can be clunky at times but is a good finisher.
Personally I reckon both Morris boys are done, they need to be replaced

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Corey Oates wants 400K a year to play edge backrower. He would be perfect and a cheap option for us. Could even play him at left centre.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Not as good as he used to be and would probably cost more than he's worth, would rather look at other options. Kaufusi would be my pick but most of the NRL would be after him. Oates like @Freakzilla mentioned could also be worth the punt at a decent price though i hear his knees are shot? I'd try and swap Tolman for Capewell and throw him on the right edge for this season..

silverelvis69

Kennel Established
Reaction score
What we need:

a) Quality edge backrower
b) Gun centre
c) Speedy winger
d) some balls

He covers both a and d
D is the key- the other positions in out lineup need to grow one. They are big names but have no balls.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Not as good as he used to be and would probably cost more than he's worth, would rather look at other options. Kaufusi would be my pick but most of the NRL would be after him. Oates like @Freakzilla mentioned could also be worth the punt at a decent price though i hear his knees are shot? I'd try and swap Tolman for Capewell and throw him on the right edge for this season..
Oates' knees are fine. Luke Capewell is already 29 also.

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Capewell would be great he's only 24 and can play 2nd row wing or center.Problem is the Sharks rate him highly and is locked up till end 2019.But anything is possible,depends how badly they would want Tolman.

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think he would be wanting big dollars and I feel at 30 it would have to be bargain price. Plays on same edge as Jacko and I have never seen him switch so unless it was at a very good price I would say no.

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would throw big money at Jake Trbojevic although it would take a mountain of money to move him from manly. He is I think one of the best forwards in the nrl

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Oates' knees are fine. Luke Capewell is already 29 also.
Kurt Capewell, he's 24. Footwork, pace and strength, looks to have tried to have modeled his game on Lewis.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Capewell would be great he's only 24 and can play 2nd row wing or center.Problem is the Sharks rate him highly and is locked up till end 2019.But anything is possible,depends how badly they would want Tolman.
He isn't getting the minutes at the sharks and Bukuya is starting ahead of him with Lewis out. Worth a shot if the Sharks actually want Tolman.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Kurt Capewell, he's 24. Footwork, pace and strength, looks to have tried to have modeled his game on Lewis.
Meh, he'll never be a good starting backrower.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Corey Oates wants 400K a year to play edge backrower. He would be perfect and a cheap option for us. Could even play him at left centre.
Except his bung knees won't last if he has to make 20-30 tackles a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.