Lacking momentum and enthusiasm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Not sure what's going on at the club, but it comes across like the players are just going through the motions and are really unenthusiastic about playing.

Note, not al but the majority.

Foran, Mbye, and a few others seem up for playing, but the forwards seem like they'd rather be anywhere but playing football.

That brings me to momentum. We lack it badly. Foran races across field and tries to spark something, then Jackson, Hoppa, or Frawley get the ball and all momentum is lost.

Or instead of going to RFM/Morris's side where there's a second rower playing on the wing, instead we go back to Frawleys side, who completely stifles attack.

Then there's the forward pack who walk up to the line. Run the bastard off the back fence!!!

It's almost like Kas and Graham left, and we lost our balls.

I get Pay's a new coach, but this is stuff that SHOULD have been sorted with 2 full strength sides in the off season. By Round 1 there should have been absolute confidence in the person playing alongside Foran.

After listening to tonights press conference, once again "its not good enough, we need to be better", but that was said last week.

Pay needs to start working cracking the whip. If somethings not good enough last week, then you damn well fix it during the week so the same problem doesn't rear it's ugly head the following game.

I honestly feel like Pay could be a little "everyones friend" rather than "everyones boss".

We need to start fixing these problems and fast. Any good coach spots problems from that weeks game and rectifies them the following.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Im not happy because after tonight I really think we are in for a s*** year

I hope im wrong , but I have not liked what ive seen

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I never thought I’d see the day I came to the realisation we would be a genuine contender for the wooden spoon.

I absolutely agree with this thread in so many ways.. where the hell is the “Dogs of war” mentality that was supposedly being re-introduced and team comradery. Adversely, there are worrying signs of nil enthusiasm and a general lack of aggression.

We won those trial games against very good opposition because we had a big contingent of NSW cup hopefuls displaying their hunger and raw enthusiasm. The guys in first grade are going through the motions.. it’s a sad state at our once proud club.

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Not sure what's going on at the club, but it comes across like the players are just going through the motions and are really unenthusiastic about playing.

Foran, Mbye, and a few others seem up for playing, but the forwards seem like they'd rather be anywhere but playing football.

That brings me to momentum. We lack it badly. Foran races across field and tries to spark something, then Jackson, Hoppa, or Frawley get the ball and all momentum is lost.

Or instead of going to RFM/Morris's side where there's a second rower playing on the wing, instead we go back to Frawleys side, who completely stifles attack.

Then there's the forward pack who walk up to the line. Run the bastard off the back fence!!!

I get Pay's a new coach, but this is stuff that SHOULD have been sorted with 2 full strength sides in the off season. By Round 1 there should have been absolute confidence in the person playing alongside Foran.

After listening to tonights press conference, once again "its not good enough, we need to be better", but that was said last week.

Pay needs to start working cracking the whip. If somethings not good enough last week, then you damn well fix it during the week so the same problem doesn't rear it's ugly head the following game.

I honestly feel like Pay could be a little "everyones friend" rather than "everyones boss".

We need to start fixing these problems and fast. Any good coach spots problems from that weeks game and rectifies them the following.
So now you are turning on dib & knocking the coach he appointed, make up ya mind, you are all over the shop.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Your trying to make it black and white and claiming its as easy as just fix it. But this is not the reality mate. You cant just fix something in the space of a few days.
I think we all just need to take a step back and try and be a little more realistic.
All the bulldogs fans, well most of us, were very optimistic about this year, but most non fans have us finishing 13-14th. So losing our first two games against the two competition heavyweights who seem to have a salary cap in the vacinity of $12-13 mil, is not such a big deal.
We have a new fb, a new half, different props, a new backrower and lock, and a new look bench. Add to this a new coach, and its obvious all of the these things will need some time to stick.
We also came up against a quality team that was really hurting after last weeks shock loss. It was always going to be a very tough game. I much rather play a team after a win then a loss!!

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
we were the most unfit team in the comp for quiet a few years and nothing has changed this year.

this is the biggest problem.

Our blokes gets monstered in both defence and attack by majority of the teams we play against.

till we don't fix this issue we will be going in a downward spiral.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Your trying to make it black and white and claiming its as easy as just fix it. But this is not the reality mate. You cant just fix something in the space of a few days.
I think we all just need to take a step back and try and be a little more realistic.
All the bulldogs fans, well most of us, were very optimistic about this year, but most non fans have us finishing 13-14th. So losing our first two games against the two competition heavyweights who seem to have a salary cap in the vacinity of $12-13 mil, is not such a big deal.
We have a new fb, a new half, different props, a new backrower and lock, and a new look bench. Add to this a new coach, and its obvious all of the these things will need some time to stick.
We also came up against a quality team that was really hurting after last weeks shock loss. It was always going to be a very tough game. I much rather play a team after a win then a loss!!

this is why I am not losing my shit yet.... I am the first one to lose it.

I keep reminding my self that this is the rebuilding year and Des has done the damage beyond repair and it will take atleast a year before we can start judging this team and pay as a coach.

it sucks to have lower standards but I will be happy if we avoid the spoon this year.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
this is why I am not losing my shit yet.... I am the first one to lose it.

I keep reminding my self that this is the rebuilding year and Des has done the damage beyond repair and it will take atleast a year before we can start judging this team and pay as a coach.

it sucks to have lower standards but I will be happy if we avoid the spoon this year.
We will get there mate. Its a long season, and we have a very tough start. People are just demanding instant success because the last few years have been so tough. But its not that simple. These things take time. Im still confident we can make the 8. We will fix things sooner rather then later.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It’s like when you have a strict teacher for years, making you do homework and installing discipline

All of a sudden the reliever turns up then gets the gig full time

All the kids cannot believe the amount of freedom because they have a laid back teacher so they start throwing paper darts and not giving a fk

Result - Failed exams

We have had two exams and a big fat F in both due to the above

Crosscut

Waterboy
Reaction score
I'm with you here. This was always going to be a tough year. New coach , different players and the two heavyweight teams straight up. Actually I think this will help in the long run. I'm philosophical as I've been following the Doggies for a long long time. Expectation leads to disappointment.

hotdogs

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
These guys are professional footballers who either have been in our or another teams system so no excuses for needing to gel.when Kevin more brought in Kimberley,Morris, Ennis at times etc we were excellent off the bat.we just don't have the right players. Hoppa, frawley, Elliot,Tolman are solid but nothing more.we need some spark in and zest and pay needs to lay platform now for mediocre performance whether we have options or not.

Robert61

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I never thought I’d see the day I came to the realisation we would be a genuine contender for the wooden spoon.

I absolutely agree with this thread in so many ways.. where the hell is the “Dogs of war” mentality that was supposedly being re-introduced and team comradery. Adversely, there are worrying signs of nil enthusiasm and a general lack of aggression.

We won those trial games against very good opposition because we had a big contingent of NSW cup hopefuls displaying their hunger and raw enthusiasm. The guys in first grade are going through the motions.. it’s a sad state at our once proud club.
DOW you hit the nail on the head. We did win the trial games because half the dogs first grade players were substituted by eager NSW cup hopefuls keen to show they could step up to the plate. Many are saying the NSW cup players are not showing anything in their grade to indicate they are worthy of first grade. What people are missing is that the club has not shown any of these NSW cup players that they are capable of being good first grade players. They play well in trails then get dropped back to the other grades so why even try anymore. This is the mentality through the club . First graders keep their places week after week no matter how bad they play. Fringe players bust their butts off in trials then get dismissed back to lower grades. We are a sad indictment of a club paying big dollars to useless first graders yet not rewarding others by elevating them.
Other clubs will be watching our fringe players and by June they would have wrapped up the potential ones again to our loss and the whole circle starts again .

Mr Shhh

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We got fucked in the shit pussy by a top 4 side. Move on to next week.

Dogzzz of War

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Although we are only 2 weeks in, I think a lot of you have gone into the season with the wrong expectations.

This is a rebuilding year.

Next year will also be a rebuilding year.

2020 is the year we will give it a crack.

So stop thinking anything is going to happen this year, watch the footy and take it as it comes.

For the millionth time, WE DONT HAVE THE ROSTER so don’t expect miracles.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Although we are only 2 weeks in, I think a lot of you have gone into the season with the wrong expectations.

So stop thinking anything is going to happen this year, watch the footy and take it as it comes.

Yeah agree but there is no reason why can't see or expect some effort. I actually said we would be outside the 8 BUT I expect the players to have a go.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score

I think we should expect the team to be competitive though.
These first two games commitment has been lacking especially in defence.
Surely defence can be improved. It has to or we will get flogged every week.
The forwards are getting dominated! Why? because on paper we have some really good forwards.
It is down again to attitude/commitment.
Pay has plenty to work on.
I think we had every right to expect a better performance from the team than we saw last night.

Dogzzz of War

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the team has tried both rounds.

Looking at round 1, some Munster brilliance(something we don’t have) pretty much turned that game on its head. I was there at Perth and it looked to me the boys ripped in.

Last night, similar situation (apart from Klemmer who I thought could have tried harder). We lost the ruck to a bigger more powerful forward pack, Elliot Tolman tried hard but aren’t up to it.

And then throw in the likes of Frawley Hoppa Montoya and the Morris who also tried their hearts out but were outclassed by their opposition.

Status
Not open for further replies.