What is the best thing about your job?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm a baker, so i guess the best thing is i work by myself and don't have to deal with people. Can play whatever music i like while working and i get free food and drinks which i can eat while working or take home. Plus my boss is actually a top bloke who shouts me beers all the time.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm a baker, so i guess the best thing is i work by myself and don't have to deal with people. Can play whatever music i like while working and i get free food and drinks which i can eat while working or take home. Plus my boss is actually a top bloke who shouts me beers all the time.
What time do you start? Did it take long to get used to the early starts?

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
What time do you start? Did it take long to get used to the early starts?
I start at 11pm and work to 6am or so. Took me about 2 months to get my body clock used to being awake all night when usually you would be sleeping.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I start at 11pm and work to 6am or so. Took me about 2 months to get my body clock used to being awake all night when usually you would be sleeping.
I guess it would take some getting used to ...

But if you knead the dough...

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
I guess it would take some getting used to ...

But if you knead the dough...
Exactly, making dough making dough.

It's not bad work only downside is probably it's repeatitive work and the night shift hours.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Well... Telstra lost it's soul and any credibility they had when they hired yankee doodle Sol Trujillo to run the company. That guy was as useless as they come. All he did was down-size the company, ruining the lives or the family's who worked at Telstra for most of their lives, and ruin the company's reputation while getting paid a mint to do so. Damn criminal.
Trujillo did exactly what he was paid for. People look at the liberals selling off our assets willy nilly while saying it's to fix the budget, but you hand these organizations over to companies that are profit based and they immediately try to reduce costs by cutting employment. Origin energy alone have cut over 800 people and the taxes these people would have paid is no longer in the budget.

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm a baker, so i guess the best thing is i work by myself and don't have to deal with people. Can play whatever music i like while working and i get free food and drinks which i can eat while working or take home. Plus my boss is actually a top bloke who shouts me beers all the time.[/

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Trujillo did exactly what he was paid for. People look at the liberals selling off our assets willy nilly while saying it's to fix the budget, but you hand these organizations over to companies that are profit based and they immediately try to reduce costs by cutting employment. Origin energy alone have cut over 800 people and the taxes these people would have paid is no longer in the budget.
Mate compare assets to the lives of people. Did you know at the time of this downsizing, Telstra had a projected 60% of their staff to retire within the next 10 years. They simply couldn't wait? That's what I'm talking about. It'll only cost you a few million dollars to keep these people on (which is peanuts for a billion dollar empire). Then look what happened... the NBN came on board and Telstra staff numbers go up again. You tell me that wasn't a mistake. I know if I was the CEO I would still want to ensure the company is profitable (which isn't so hard to do given that there is daylight between Telstra and whoever their nearest rival is), while making it a family-orientated organisation. It was good back in the late 80s/early 90s... why did it need to change? Answer: It didn't!

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Now as for working for big companies... many people want to work for companies like Google and Apple. My advice... AVOID THEM. I know someone who worked there, and she hated it. She said that because these companies have all these little benefits for their employees, and everyone wants to work for them, they take advantage of their staff by paying them peanuts. It's something that might look good on your CV, but not something you'd want to stay in for very long!
One person hated it = avoid it... lol.

It’s a trade off.. you get extensive benefits and you make a sacrifice in wages... Some companies like google create an environment and atmosphere that people want to be in, and dont mind staying back late (they provide food etc.).

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Well... Telstra lost it's soul and any credibility they had when they hired yankee doodle Sol Trujillo to run the company. That guy was as useless as they come. All he did was down-size the company, ruining the lives or the family's who worked at Telstra for most of their lives, and ruin the company's reputation while getting paid a mint to do so. Damn criminal.

I was at an Enterprise Partner so i thought i'd be able to really cut my teeth in selling to Proper Enterprise customers, i thought wrong.
Largest customer i sold to only had about 25 users.

I was also promised to be introduced to the Telstra AM's and AE's, but that never happened either.

So glad im not there

Wahesh

Reaction score
I was at an Enterprise Partner so i thought i'd be able to really cut my teeth in selling to Proper Enterprise customers, i thought wrong.
Largest customer i sold to only had about 25 users.

I was also promised to be introduced to the Telstra AM's and AE's, but that never happened either.

So glad im not there
Mate just goes to show, a job is glamorised while it's being recruited to, then once you get your feet under the desk... it's boring and repetitive.

Wahesh

Reaction score
One person hated it = avoid it... lol.

It’s a trade off.. you get extensive benefits and you make a sacrifice in wages... Some companies like google create an environment and atmosphere that people want to be in, and dont mind staying back late (they provide food etc.).
Mate that's just it. We're living in an age where people want more flexibility, working from home, activity-based working etc, and would prefer money over benefits.

I know that I'm happy with my wage the way it is, and would sacrifice any of it just for better working benefits. As long as I'm not in physical or psychological danger, I'm happy. I mean getting food in the office doesn't compare to sitting around the table with family for dinner.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Mate that's just it. We're living in an age where people want more flexibility, working from home, activity-based working etc, and would prefer money over benefits.

I know that I'm happy with my wage the way it is, and would sacrifice any of it just for better working benefits. As long as I'm not in physical or psychological danger, I'm happy. I mean getting food in the office doesn't compare to sitting around the table with family for dinner.
Yeah i can tell you are 40+ and living by yourself

Wahesh

Reaction score
Yeah i can tell you are 40+ and living by yourself
I have been BUSTED! I have been found out as a bachelor living in a bachelor pad...

... except if I was 40+ living alone I would actually want to eat dinner in the office and be around people...

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
I get paid to watch sport and help people bet ...

My favourite part is explaining to small time punters which of their $1 bets suddenly caused a large balance increase.

"Yeah Beryl, it's no joke ... you had a half unit on a box trifecta at Cannington Greyhounds that paid $1500."

Wahesh

Reaction score
Another company to avoid... Coca Cola. I know 2 people who worked for them. What do they pay? Peanuts. They pay them peanuts so much so that they quit working there to take up a GOVERNMENT JOB.

Oh Coke gives incentives to their employees in the form of... COCA FUCKING COLA. You may as well give them sugar or syrup if that's what you're going to give your employees. We're talking rotting teeth, decaying teeth, diabetes... drink all the Coke you want and completely disregard your health in the process.

No thanks.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score

Wahesh

Reaction score
I remember in one of my previous gigs when I was in the IT industry, I had to come in on a Friday night only a few hours after arriving home. due to a major cock up with one of our hardware devices. If you started before 6am or after 6pm, you automatically get paid 3 hours overtime - even if you only worked for 1 minute, with the first 2 hours before time-and-a-half and every hour after that double time, plus expenses (fuel, train ticket, bus fare etc...) also reimbursed. Not bad for 10 mins worth of work I had to do lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.