Mbye expecting aerial raid for fullback initiation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tas Dog

Waterboy
Reaction score
Moses Mbye admits premiers Melbourne would be "stupid" not to launch an aerial bombardment of the first-time fullback, who is expecting a baptism of fire in the doubleheader at Perth's $1.6 billion Optus Stadium.

The man who counts a fill-in appearance in the No.1 during an under-16s match as his only previous experience at the back will have no greater initiation than against the defending champions.

Mbye's transition to the No.1 will be part of a suite of changes new coach Dean Pay has made to the Bulldogs' often spluttering attack, which will be led by a fit-again Kieran Foran.

Mbye will at least be relieved Billy Slater won't be lining up as Melbourne's fullback. Storm coach Craig Bellamy has decided to take no risks with Slater's shoulder injury on the eve of his 300th game.

Mbye insists his biggest test will be organising Canterbury's defence, which will be asked to shackle the world club champions, who will have only Cameron Smith in action from their perennial "big three".

And Mbye didn't have to look too far for inspiration in that department.

"Those good fullbacks [Slater and Darius Boyd] are really good defenders, the way they structure their side and communicate to their team," Mbye said. "That's definitely a part I've been working hard at.

"I'm obviously going to be a different style of player to the other fullbacks out there. I want to make it my own style, and I want to play the game how I want to play it. After doing a tough summer in that role I've got a lot more respect for what they actually do on the field."

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/mb...-for-fullback-initiation-20180309-p4z3nr.html

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Big test for Mbye. He will have to be everywhere.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gotta think it’s his last chance

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
hes always been a great cover defender and his speed and passing will be awesome to see once he chimes into the backline. His work under contested kicks and his organising in defence are the only worrying factors but barba had a lot of trouble with that too before 2012. Nothing that cant be taught. I think after a few games he could be great for us

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Heard his interview today on fox sports news, certainly loves the talk... its time he manned up and backs it up!

Last edited:

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This is the moment finally for Mbye to step up. It's his last chance. I can't see a spot for him going forward if Fullback doesn't work out.

I'm excited to see how he goes and how we as a team play with a ball playing and agile Fullback.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
This is the moment finally for Mbye to step up. It's his last chance. I can't see a spot for him going forward if Fullback doesn't work out.

I'm excited to see how he goes and how we as a team play with a ball playing and agile Fullback.
I could see him given a go at left centre, but he would need to give back 250-300k per season to the club lol. Praying he makes the #1 his own.

Status
Not open for further replies.