R1 - Bulldogs Vs Storm - Team List & Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Taumalolo is a perfect example of the point you make
Commentators have been saying taumololo has been increasing his minutes over the past few years. can’t find stats but wouldn’t be surprised if he plays 55mins+.

IMO, it’s about forcing them to be wrecking balls, then adding on the extra cardio to make sure they can be wrecking balls for longer. To me, tolman has been engineered as a endurance player from the get go with little regard for bending the line etc.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Im pretty happy with this lineup. Perhaps the bench is a little lacking in impact, but none of us know what Deans game plan is, so im happy to wait and see how the game plays out.
It seems that the usual suspects are complaining about the lineup not being what they would pick, but me, i would rather focus on the good points like mbye named at fb, hopoate back in the centres where i think he is best suited, RFM getting a start in the run on squad, klemmer back playing in the front row where he should have been all this time, and fualalo at lock. These are all good moves, and thats what im looking forward to. So im not going to criticise Deans team choices until we get a gauge on how the teams dynamic works.
I also think that theres every chance that this bench will serve the run on squad well.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I’d rather Elliot at lock and Fualalo to the bench but other then that I’m pumped can’t wait for the boys to smash the Storm

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Its still Better than having big dopey props who last 10min, cant defend more than one set and get back in line after a break like his carryig the whole stadium behind him.

I think having these guys on the bench may work out better than plenty think.. Tolman can slot into lock or prop, elliot on the edge or lock and eastwood can do all three. Very versatile considering we will also carry a utility.
I agree, the way the game is going, you need mobile forwards that have good endurance. It’s all about fitness now with Pay. We used to fizzle out at the back end of games before.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't mind the team. Only question mark as others have mentioned is Frawley.

But the Hasler era is over so if Frawley doesn't perform at least we now have a coach who will change the team.

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Bs
Lachie burr can
Renouf Tuamaga can
Asipeli Fine can
Rhys Martin can

Elliot will be gone as soon as priest is back
I can assure your
You really dont like Elliot do you....

I can assure you. Pay rates Elliot.

At least see how he plays this season before you start putting the nails in the coffin

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess i can see the game plan to be blow them off the park first 25 -30 minutes than tighten up the middle until the starting front row comes back on to finish them.

having an impact forward off the bench may not be as important as having someone scrambling in defense.

but if we do not win the first 25 -30 going to be hard to bring it home at the back end. I'm sure Pays top 17 will evolve over the year, will be first time team will be selected on results for some time.

S.B.W_Jnr

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bs
Lachie burr can
Renouf Tuamaga can
Asipeli Fine can
Rhys Martin can

Elliot will be gone as soon as priest is back
I can assure your
At least one of those players should of made the bench they'll punch through the defence. We don't have much of an impact player on the current bench.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm very confident about this year the reason is that our ISP team beat a full strength Panthers team fairly comfortably, it proves that our club has great depth particularly in the forwards.

N

Natboy

I’d rather Elliot at lock and Fualalo to the bench but other then that I’m pumped can’t wait for the boys to smash the Storm
I wouldn’t be surprised if that is the final lineup. I’m happy either way

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Overall its a pretty good side. I like Fualolo starting as he gives some impact. However that impact is only for about 15-20 minutes and he has to be subbed.
Thats when Tolman comes on. He continues with the defensive role. Klemmer and Woods will have to play longer minutes.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Its still Better than having big dopey props who last 10min, cant defend more than one set and get back in line after a break like his carryig the whole stadium behind him.

I think having these guys on the bench may work out better than plenty think.. Tolman can slot into lock or prop, elliot on the edge or lock and eastwood can do all three. Very versatile considering we will also carry a utility.
And i never once mentioned having those type of players so i don't see the point in mentioning that.

Facts are we are running a utility while also having Tolman and Elliott playing off the bench together who happen to be our 2 weakest running forwards. It's a skinny bench that lacks punch as of this moment.

Elliott is the only one that is versatile and can play on an edge. Tolman certainly can not and Eastwood should never again be played there. Tolman is also 1 dimensional while Eastwood is atleast capable of producing some footwork and ball skills.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
And i never once mentioned having those type of players so i don't see the point in mentioning that.

Facts are we are running a utility while also having Tolman and Elliott playing off the bench together who happen to be our 2 weakest running forwards. It's a skinny bench that lacks punch as of this moment.

Elliott is the only one that is versatile and can play on an edge. Tolman certainly can not and Eastwood should never again be played there. Tolman is also 1 dimensional while Eastwood is atleast capable of producing some footwork and ball skills.
Your missing the point.. The game has sped up and the closest thing we have to a solid prop who can keep up the tempo is Tualau right? Its simple Tolman, Eastwood or Tualau? I don't think Pay is ready to gamble on a debutant over 2 seasoned pros who can play multiple positions for longer min over an unproven rook who plays only one position. I don't think many people would bet against that.

I didn't say Tolman will go near an edge I said lock or prop. Eastwood can still play on a edge but I hope Pay only has ideas of up the middle because we all know his just not quick enough to go near an edge.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
i think Elliott offers alot from the bench, he is a very good hole running forward in my opinion and does off impact.
i can recall talking to barry Ward and terry lamb at a sponsors day and they said Elliott was the hardest hitter in the club, which surprised me.
agree tolman, i dont think he will get alot of minutes, but hopefully he plays him in a different role that is more effective.
I think Elliott is average at this stage with the potential to be much more than just average.

Like you said, Elliott can run some good lines while also having reasonable ball skills. He's also agressive and fights in the tackle. Problem with him though is not so much his hands but his focus. All those sloppy errors like silly missed tackles or dropped balls look to me to be down to his focus. He's sorta like Reynolds where he goes mad and just forgets to execute the basics.

But yh i have no problem with Elliott on the bench. He gives us a ball playing option at lock while alo having the ability to cover an edge. I'm just nervous about having both him and Tolman on the bench together while also having a utility.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Your missing the point.. The game has sped up and the closest thing we have to a solid prop who can keep up the tempo is Tualau right? Its simple Tolman, Eastwood or Tualau? I don't think Pay is ready to gamble on a debutant over 2 seasoned pros who can play multiple positions for longer min over an unproven rook who plays only one position. I don't think many people would bet against that.

I didn't say Tolman will go near an edge I said lock or prop. Eastwood can still play on a edge but I hope Pay only has ideas of up the middle because we all know his just not quick enough to go near an edge.
If you think Tolman can play 2 positions then so can Tualau, Burr or Ogden. Tolman needs to lift his game and intensity for me to consider this a strong bench. He needs to run harder, improve his metres per run, tackle harder, improve post contact metres, etc. Until i see that i will continue to worry.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Maybe both at different times. I'm looking forward to seeing how Frawley goes. Pay must see something and he hasn't had an off season with a great half like Foran before. The first few games are make or break for him for the season with JMK in the wings.
I've heard a couple of players say in vids that Frawley is going pretty well at training. The good news is that if he doesn't stand up there are at least a few who are ready to have a crack. That is a good feeling for a change!!

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I've heard a couple of players say in vids that Frawley is going pretty well at training. The good news is that if he doesn't stand up there are at least a few who are ready to have a crack. That is a good feeling for a change!!
What do u expect them to say
“He is shit and not fg level”
Just like all the players had haslers back last season
What they say and what they believe can mean two totally different things.

I’m not ecstatic at the Frawley selection but I’ll watch him play round one then decide
I’m a Cleeland fan and thought he deserved his shot
Him and foz would compliment each other perfectly

Status
Not open for further replies.