Steve Folkes passes away aged 59.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I grew up watching Folkesy play and then coach. No individual achieved as much for our club as a player and coach. Folkesy bled blue and white. Part of our club passed away today. Very sad.
agree,
Folkes was exactly what our club needed moving forward post Des.

I hope he gets the send off he deserves.
Should be a statue of him out front of Belmore.
Its criminal that there isn't one.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
RIP Steve another Bulldogs legend joins God's team :(

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
It's a trifling thing at a time like this, but Folkesy has passed away, and as far as I can tell, SBW never made ammends for the slurs he made toward him when SBW defected.
I see Willie Mason has posted hus condolences on twitter! Times like these, differences should be put aside.

Snowmann

Party Rocker
Reaction score
Absolutely shattered to hear the news of Steve Folkes passing, legend of the club who brought back the Dogs of war mentality. RIP Folksey.

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Met him at Heathcoat Rd Maccas a few years back. He was in his cycle gear.. he told me and my old man that he rides down to Woolongong and back every sat morning... (i thought at the time that was fkn crazy).

Seemed a very nice guy tho and appreciated our feedback (we said he was bulldog great and we'd hope to see him back at the club soon).

Had a feeling it was going to be a heart attack as soon as i heard the news today.. he was an absolute fitness freak.

RIP Folkesy, you'll be missed but never forgotten.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I see Willie Mason has posted hus condolences on twitter! Times like these, differences should be put aside.
Willy and SBW were just bratt kids that didn't know how blessed they were to have someone like Folkes mentoring them.

Sure, Folkes was hard on them, they deserved it, and could have been better people had they took on board what Folkes was trying to teach them as footballers and as men.

Folkes was the benchmark when it cam to integrity, honour, and work ethic.

He was old school hard nosed, and not PC.
His intentions were always pure.

He deserves respect from Mason and SBW now, since they showed him non in life

I am angry at those brats for never apologising to Folkes

BDPScarface

Kennel Established
Reaction score
What happens now in terms of memorial by the club. Perth, or round 3 against the Panthers?

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve Folkes dies, aged 59: Bulldogs mourn club legend

The Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs are mourning the death of club legend Steve Folkes, following the untimely passing of the former premiership-winning player and coach.

Folkes has died at the age of 59 after suffering a heart attack.

He was a member of Canterbury's famous 1980 "Entertainers" team which won the grand final over Eastern Suburbs and also featured in the premiership wins in 1984, '85 and '88.

Folkes retired in 1991 after playing 269 games in the blue and white. He also represented NSW on nine occasions and Australia.

He went on to coach the team to the 2004 grand final win over the Roosters during an 11-year stint at the helm of the club.

Bulldogs CEO Andrew Hill issued a statement on behalf of the club.

Vale, Steven Folkes: 1959-2018

1 / 11
Steve Folkes coached the Australian Jillaroos after finishing up at Canterbury.

2 / 11
Australian back-rower Steve Folkes.

3 / 11
NSW back-rower Steve Folkes.

4 / 11
Canterbury Bulldogs coach Steven Folkes.

5 / 11
Australian back-rower Steve Folkes.

6 / 11

7 / 11

8 / 11

9 / 11
Canterbury Bulldogs premiership-winning coach Steven Folkes.

10 / 11
Steve Folkes during his successful stint as Canterbury coach.

11 / 11
Premiership-winning player and coach Steve Folkes.
"The club is shocked and saddened at the news of the passing of Bulldogs legend Steve Folkes. Steve played such a major part in the history of the Bulldogs, both as a player and coach, and was without doubt one of the giants of the club," he said.

"Steve symbolised everything that the Bulldogs stand for and was respected throughout the game for his toughness and determination. He never took a backward step and was loved by the fans for his courage and commitment to the club.

"His legacy as a Bulldog and what he did for the club will never be forgotten and our hearts go out to his family and friends at this difficult time. The club asks that everyone respect the privacy of the family during this time."

NRL CEO Todd Greenberg, who worked alongside Folkes during his time as Bulldogs chief executive, was devastated by the news.

"Steve was incredibly successful as both a player and a coach," Greenberg said.

"He won four premierships from six grand final appearances as a player, and coached the Bulldogs to a premiership in 2004.

"I've known Steve for a long time. He was a good friend, and a very well respected and cherished part of the Bulldogs club.

"He'll be remembered as one of the Bulldogs' greats, but more importantly a great man – a family man and someone who did wonderful things for rugby league. Our thoughts are with Steve's family and the Bulldogs at this time."

Following his departure from the Bulldogs in 2008, Folkes made the jump to cricket and enjoyed a brief stint as a member of the West Indies high-performance staff, filling the role of strength and conditioning coach.

Folkes returned to league in 2009 when he took up a role with the Wests Tigers as their high-performance manager and assistant coach.

He'll be remembered as one of Canterbury's greats. But more importantly known as a really great man.

Todd Greenberg

The Tigers released a statement to say the club was "saddened by the news of the passing of former assistant coach Steve Folkes. The thoughts of all at Wests Tigers are with the Folkes family during this time."

He then moved to the St George Illawarra Dragons where he also took up an assistant coaching role for two seasons.

Folkes then became Australian Jillaroos coach in 2014, a role that he was excited about at the time. He oversaw three Tests as Jillaroos coach before stepping aside from the role in 2016.

Most recently, Folkes was named as the head coach for the Moss Vale Dragons in 2018 in the Group Six competition.

Folkes's passing came one day before the fifth anniversary of his wife Karen's death in 2013, aged 55.

Timyone

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Sad news :( I hear he was on a bikeridewith my old bike club recently, so still fit, it was a minimum 80km ride

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you for everything you done for the club and the game in general.

Sincere Condolences to the folks family and the club and everyone who had a relationship with him. RIP FOLKESY. Very sad but death has no age.

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How tragic. It goes to show you can be fit and still have heart issues :(

A guy at my work had a massive heard attack (exact same one that Kevin Smith just had) last month whilst at work and he had signs for weeks that he just put down to being unfit. I think he really knew but it is such a male thing to ignore issues. So scary, don't ignore any signs people.

Rest in Peace Folksey
Steve Folkes was an absolute legend of a person and a friend of our family, this news is tragic!
I can tell you that he was very pleased with the recent changes at the club and was going to have input this year.
Will be greatly missed.

This is the saddest part of heart attacks, the fittest person can drop from them and the so called unfit person doesnt have one.
I had a heart attack nearly 7 years ago playing soccer and luckily for me i survived.
Everyone should go have stress tests, we are all candidates these days.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Steve Folkes was an absolute legend of a person and a friend of our family, this news is tragic!
I can tell you that he was very pleased with the recent changes at the club and was going to have input this year.
Will be greatly missed.

This is the saddest part of heart attacks, the fittest person can drop from them and the so called unfit person doesnt have one.
I had a heart attack nearly 7 years ago playing soccer and luckily for me i survived.
Everyone should go have stress tests, we are all candidates these days.
he was a friend of your family,
So lucky man.
He was a special man,
I hope you follow in his ethics

N

Natboy

Met him at Heathcoat Rd Maccas a few years back. He was in his cycle gear.. he told me and my old man that he rides down to Woolongong and back every sat morning... (i thought at the time that was fkn crazy).

Seemed a very nice guy tho and appreciated our feedback (we said he was bulldog great and we'd hope to see him back at the club soon).

Had a feeling it was going to be a heart attack as soon as i heard the news today.. he was an absolute fitness freak.

RIP Folkesy, you'll be missed but never forgotten.
Yeah he did mate. We used to tell him he was the only cyclist on Lawrence Hargrave Dr I liked & didn’t want to knock of the seacliffe bridge but I still copped a squirt from his water bottle everytime I beeped him haha. He was as fit as a fiddle. I’m just so shocked as many are. Such a sad day. You’re a legend Folksey & on behalf of my family & I thanks for everything. We will miss you. Give Karen a big hug & kiss for us. RIP mate

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Champion footballer.
Champion coach who kept the Bulldogs SUPREME through their toughest time in history.
RIP Folkesy !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.