Steve Folkes passes away aged 59.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kratos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
RIP great man, you served our club with distinction.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm shocked and sad to hear this. I never met him, and don't remember much of his playing days, but I will always appreciate his efforts as a coach. It's a real shock hearing that a relatively young man who apparently stayed super fit passed on this way. But he was part of the success of this club not only as a player, but in bringing through many of my favorite players and giving us all some premierships to look back on. So he's become a club legend.

Condolences to his family and all those who had a close relationship with him.

BDPScarface

Kennel Established
Reaction score
How tragic. It goes to show you can be fit and still have heart issues :(

A guy at my work had a massive heard attack (exact same one that Kevin Smith just had) last month whilst at work and he had signs for weeks that he just put down to being unfit. I think he really knew but it is such a male thing to ignore issues. So scary, don't ignore any signs people.

Rest in Peace Folksey
Unfortunately even if detected, doctors still have a struggle to prevent a heartattack. When my dad died of one, and he was same age as Folkes, and fairly lean and fit, his gp recounted a story of a patient with Angina attack that was in Emerg and being monitored and medicated. Surgeon spoke to him and he was fine, surgeon turns to discuss with a nurse or someone the like, and guy has the heartache and dies.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Shocking and really sad news. RIP Folkesy

Z-Dizzle

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was just thinking yesterday how crazy it was he couldn’t get a first grade gig and how much better a team like the Panthers would be under him.

RIP Folkesy, one of the Bulldogs greatest.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
RIP Folkesy

Too young, too fit, will be sorely missed.

PS thanks for our last Premiership.

sviruch

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Rip.. You'll always be remembered for our 04 gf win.

ash160

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve Folkes! Absolute champion player and coach for the Bulldogs. I’m stunned! way waaaay to young.
Rest In Peace mate.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
R.I.P Folkesy. You really showed what it meant to be a bulldog. Hope the dogs win the grand final for you this year.

BDPScarface

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It's a trifling thing at a time like this, but Folkesy has passed away, and as far as I can tell, SBW never made ammends for the slurs he made toward him when SBW defected.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
A very sad day for the club, always admired his work ethic and tough standards he set.

The recent passing of Dean Mercer at 47yo highlights what many cardiologists speculate that endurance athletes who are +40 who continue to push themselves to the limit are a higher risk of sudden cardiac arrest.

There is also the syndrome of "athletes heart" where there is thickening of the heart muscle and this in-turn can lead to cardiac arrest and sudden death. There's been many instances of this around the world.

Either way, it's such a shame as I've always had a soft spot for Folkesy in my favourite Bulldogs of all time, the 2004 win will always be special for Dogs fans.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
WTF ??
How is this possible ? He has to be the fittest 59 yo in the world ?
Tragic day.
RIP folkesy.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
He dead set reminded me of my had,
Folkes had the exact same look in his eye, very stern, like, a don't fuck with me look.
Very authoritarian in his demean.

Very hard on you, but had your best interests at heart.

Like when he told SBW that Chock was a bad influence on him,

I remembera photo from around the coffs shit storm,
Had a photo of Folks and the players at training, or may have been a training session at the beach,
Anyway.
Folks was ripped as fuck and looked like he could still pull on a jumper and play.

He use to train with the team, and wouldn't ask them to do anything he couldn't do himself.

Such a champion.

I am devo at this news,
Really devo.

Only the good die young.

Status
Not open for further replies.