Fitness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was speaking to a trainer a few weeks back and he said that the boys have never been pushed so hard in a pre-season and after the first 2 trials it shows. We have defended our line for multiple sets and haven’t missed a beat.

Some players like RFM and Fine have really bulked up and put on some decent size and I’m not sure if it’s my eyes playing tricks but the Morris brothers look a lot leaner then recent years.

It’s all very good signs and I think we will go very close to being the fittest team in the comp.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I agree. It was noticeable at the open training day just how fit they all looked, including the Mozzes. Young Okunbar looked as fit as a malley bull - has lost all his puppy fat. Look at Eastwood. Never seen him so thin. Maybe its because of his heart but he certainly looks a lot leaner. From what I have been reading this morning it seems that a lot of the concerns about our halves have gone from who to play to how do we fit them all in. Nice place to be and we haven't even started the season yet.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The improved fitness points to our defence

Last week we kept Raiders to zero with our main team

And yesterday our reserves kept them to 6 before a late consolation try

I am looking forward to a successful season from both teams (NRL and ISM)

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I was speaking to a trainer a few weeks back and he said that the boys have never been pushed so hard in a pre-season and after the first 2 trials it shows. We have defended our line for multiple sets and haven’t missed a beat.

Some players like RFM and Fine have really bulked up and put on some decent size and I’m not sure if it’s my eyes playing tricks but the Morris brothers look a lot leaner then recent years.

It’s all very good signs and I think we will go very close to being the fittest team in the comp.
I just watched the Panthers game,
We made way more interchanges than the Panthers did, The Panthers were forced to play fatigued where as our 2nd string team were largely kept fresh with plenty of player rotation up front.
Correct me if I am wrong (and I'm sure you or someone will), but that's how it appeared to me watching the game.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
We made way more interchanges than the Panthers did, The Panthers were forced to play fatigued where as our 2nd string team were largely kept fresh with plenty of player rotation up front.
Correct me if I am wrong (and I'm sure you or someone will), but that's how it appeared to me watching the game.
Panthers played the first 40 with an entire NRL side and only a few interchanges.

In the second 40 they made a few changes, and they had far more players named than the Dogs. For examples sake Tamou and Merrin played the entire second half, and I think they swapped out a winger, and second rowers.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure we only used 16 players

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
Yes you are correct. Although in saying that, panthers have a heap of international and rep players against a team with basically no nrl experience. The panthers were shit and never looked like winning.

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
It makes me wonder about Des' statistics - keeping everyone accountable to numbers. While I agree to get metrics and give as much feedback as possible, I think Des forgot to engage, inspire and motivate them to embrace the Dogs culture. He just treated it like a scientific process with no heart. He actually forgot to get his heart and the heart of his players into the mission. Instead they were doing what they needed to do to be seen rather than being equipped. I am generalising, but the focus makes a difference on what you end up with - the focus was numbers not the joy of winning a game. I also believe when you are being treated like a robot to just deliver numbers as just one of the teeth in the gears, you will have resentment. It is easy to make your numbers increase just to get the pressure off you by taking short cuts. E.g. being a delayed add on in a tackle that is already affected and lame hit ups that don't break the line. We saw plenty of that in the last few years.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Our defense in general was pretty good, but our goul line defense is what really impressed me. We also managed to completely nullify two of the best halves in the game for the whole 80 mins. And i fucking loved seeing maloney get hammered a few times.
As much as people like thurston say that the kickers need more protection and that they are targeted in defense etc etc, its a major tactic. Look at NFL, your ultimate goal is to sack the quarter back, and we certainly did that with maloney cleary.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The commentators were saying the panthers didnt interchange one player in the first half. But that was their choice. And to be honest, i dont really understand the tactic.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
The commentators were saying the panthers didnt interchange one player in the first half. But that was their choice. And to be honest, i dont really understand the tactic.
I think Griffen was testing or trying to gage match fitness.
I do get that strategy

Kinda wish Pay did a bit of that, but I am trusting his judgment.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Making your forwards play 40min doesn't really achieve anything for fitness, it just raises the chances of leading to fatigue-led injuries.

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They look fitter I see over the off season the Morris twins doing a lot of extras training and as for the rest the squad new coach and pay won’t take shit of them and a lot of those players backended by Hasler are contract in the next 18 months
Plus the reserves team were really impressive against the rith a few of them boys really put some pressure on the nrl squad no more copy and pasting the team sheet week in and out

Status
Not open for further replies.