Bulldogs vs Panthers Trial Info and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can’t believe how accepting people are of the coach not trialling players. Dean Pay is far too relaxed going into this season.

Out of all the teams this year we have the most reason to run a first grade team in the trials:
New spine-
with a fullback who has never played fullback Bar 40 minutes where the raiders did nothing that required fullback intervention
Unsettled halves pairing
Halfback coming back from significant injury time off as well as mental health problems
Hooker who is being told to change up his game plan and run more (will need time to find the balance between running and not running, don’t be surprised to see him running too often for the first couple of weeks till he gets used to being “unshackled”).

Forwards: Starting Prop and whatever the hell Tolman is this season not having played actual game minutes for months.
Bench nowhere near sorted from the look of things.

Allegedly we have a new play style, meaning we will take time to get used to this style. Why not get used to it when wins and losses don’t matter? I’m all for giving a new coach a new chance, but remember Pay isn’t free from criticism. He’s a rookie coach and he’s going against everything the best coaches do in pre-season so people will rightfully question his decisions. If we come out firing in round 1 and destroy the Storm and keep that up for the first few weeks of the comp then I’m sure Pay made the right decision. However, if the Storm blow us off the park early on because combinations struggle, Mbye is shit at positioning himself, or our players run out of steam at the end of the halves because they have no match fitness, then it’s all on him and this decision.
Ive never read so much bullshit in my life. Im guessing you also think the world is going to end tomorrow.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
I would have loved to see a near full strength team run out, they probably could have done with it. But it is what it is - a trial. No need to get worked up over it, its not a blight on Pays coaching. Im sure it was a calculated decision. I probably wanted a full strength squad named for my own benefit just as much as the teams. Im confident they will be ready for round 1.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
There was a time not that long ago when no-one even knew there were trials on let alone went to them. Now every man and his dog has a view on what the makeup of a TRIAL team should look like. Give me strength. I don't care if he runs an under 12 side out there if that is part of his plan. Everyone whinges that "so and so" would kill it if they only just got the opportunity. Well all the "so and so's" have now got the opportunity - let them enjoy it. The only team I am worried about is the one I will be watching at the ground in Perth in a couple of weeks. How he gets them there is up to him.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Griffin is a supercoach isn't he.....and Penrith never have injury problems.....and let's see how long they play for before we get all worked up about it. I'm still backing our coach. he's pulled all the right reins so far and I've got no reason to doubt him on this part of his plan.
I just think it is strange to name an entire reserve grade team when Penrith have named a near full strength squad.

I don't buy the injuries argument, because if that was a real concern why do the clubs play trails at all.

I would have liked to see some 1st grade guys in the team this Saturday. Certainly Mybe, Woods if fit.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I just think it is strange to name an entire reserve grade team when Penrith have named a near full strength squad.

I don't buy the injuries argument, because if that was a real concern why do the clubs play trails at all.

I would have liked to see some 1st grade guys in the team this Saturday. Certainly Mybe, Woods if fit.
But that is the real issue isn't it. You and probably me and certainly a lot of others would have 'liked' to see the FG side out there but the coach has a view that it is in the best interests of the team to not only not play them this weekend but also give the second stringers a chance against better quality opposition to show what they have got. Their futures may well depend on how well they go in this game whereas at best the established blokes just get a chance to blow a few more cobwebs out at the risk of getting hurt for no points. As a person with an experienced background like Pay I'm sure he has seen everything he needs to make decisions about who starts round 1 and has the view that another hitout is not essential. I'm good with that.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Apparently Hasler knew best too, in Des we trust remember.. look where that got us haha
Exactly

And I’m super impressed with the off and pre season

He’s made all the right moves except brushing this trial (my opinion but he should have played some of the boyz)

No amount of training substitutes REAL GAME PLAY

People also need to realise Pay is a rookie first grade coach not the messiah

Which makes Des the Antichrist

Lol

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Exactly

And I’m super impressed with the off and pre season

He’s made all the right moves except brushing this trial (my opinion but he should have played some of the boyz)

No amount of training substitutes REAL GAME PLAY

People also need to realise Pay is a rookie first grade coach not the messiah

Which makes Des the Antichrist

Lol
People also need to realise we can be angry and disappointed with this news without hating Pay or thinking he's shit lol.

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I feel sorry for the magpies. We play them 1st in isp. Theyd be like a walk in the park after playing full strength penrith side for our isp boys.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Is it a typo or do we legit have a player called D'Rhys?

Total NFL name that, love it!
Yep, legit player, he was super high rated a few years ago if I remember correctly, there was even an article about Jacko taking D'Rhys under his wing.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
But that is the real issue isn't it. You and probably me and certainly a lot of others would have 'liked' to see the FG side out there but the coach has a view that it is in the best interests of the team to not only not play them this weekend but also give the second stringers a chance against better quality opposition to show what they have got. Their futures may well depend on how well they go in this game whereas at best the established blokes just get a chance to blow a few more cobwebs out at the risk of getting hurt for no points. As a person with an experienced background like Pay I'm sure he has seen everything he needs to make decisions about who starts round 1 and has the view that another hitout is not essential. I'm good with that.
Agree I know less than the coach as to where the players are at.

Still I think it's strange to have an entire reserve grade squad when the other team is at full strength.

Last edited:

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree I know less than the coach as to where the players are at.

Still I think it's strange to have an entire reserve grade squad when the other time is at full strength.
Yeah strange but we are not the only one. teams like roosters and warriors didnt field many firstgraders last week and doubt those players will play full game this weekend. So in terms of minutes under their belt going into 1st round probably similar to what our players have.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I dont think 40min is enough for pre-sason. Melbourne will be battle hardened . Hope Pay knows what he is doing. He has a shit load of pressure on him.
I would have thought at least give them another 40mins.. we play Storm Rd 1 theyve had a full 80mins in proper game conditions

Status
Not open for further replies.