Bulldogs vs Panthers Trial Info and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The season is a marathon not a sprint , we need the guys firing at the end not the beginning
The season could be over in 8 weeks if we are 0-8 because our combination (new spine, new players) don’t click

That’s what trials are for

Training the house down and scrimmages v ISM cup guys will never replace real game time v first grade opposition

Panthers are full strength

We missed an ideal opportunity to at least play our guys for 40 (80 minutes all up over two games)

I think the Raiders decided to brush trials last year and their season was over before it got started because they were playing catch up

Sprint or marathon you still need to fkn stretch and warm up pre run

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Can’t believe how accepting people are of the coach not trialling players. Dean Pay is far too relaxed going into this season.

Out of all the teams this year we have the most reason to run a first grade team in the trials:
New spine-
with a fullback who has never played fullback Bar 40 minutes where the raiders did nothing that required fullback intervention
Unsettled halves pairing
Halfback coming back from significant injury time off as well as mental health problems
Hooker who is being told to change up his game plan and run more (will need time to find the balance between running and not running, don’t be surprised to see him running too often for the first couple of weeks till he gets used to being “unshackled”).

Forwards: Starting Prop and whatever the hell Tolman is this season not having played actual game minutes for months.
Bench nowhere near sorted from the look of things.

Allegedly we have a new play style, meaning we will take time to get used to this style. Why not get used to it when wins and losses don’t matter? I’m all for giving a new coach a new chance, but remember Pay isn’t free from criticism. He’s a rookie coach and he’s going against everything the best coaches do in pre-season so people will rightfully question his decisions. If we come out firing in round 1 and destroy the Storm and keep that up for the first few weeks of the comp then I’m sure Pay made the right decision. However, if the Storm blow us off the park early on because combinations struggle, Mbye is shit at positioning himself, or our players run out of steam at the end of the halves because they have no match fitness, then it’s all on him and this decision.
I assure you.

Another 40 minutes. In a low intensity trial match. Is not going to make or break the team.

Its not the be all end all.

We would be in serious trouble if we were riding on another 40mins of a trial game to define how we play.....

Z-Dizzle

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I assure you.

Another 40 minutes. In a low intensity trial match. Is not going to make or break the team.

Its not the be all end all.

We would be in serious trouble if we were riding on another 40mins of a trial game to define how we play.....
Most teams are going in fairly close to full strength. It shouldn’t be a low intensity 40 minute trial. Players like Mbye at least should be out there for 80 minutes this weekend.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We play the defending champions and the premiership favs in consecutive weeks to start our season right?

That’s why I’m confused that Pay has cotton wool wrapped on the players

I would understand if Foz and Klemmer possibly Lichaa was rested but last time I checked Mbye has never played a first grade game at fullback but 40 mins will suffice vs the defending champions?

More bombs than Hiroshima coming his way!

I’m not bagging Pay as he’s made all the right moves thus far I’m just expressing surprise at this line up

Woods going into the season cold too btw

There’s no substitute for real game intensity and I don’t think a full strength Penny team are going to take it easy

Well they are now considering they are playing reserve graders

the hound

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Don't be surprised to see the big names play on Sat. Have a feeling that we will see 2 teams.
Not likely, Pay isn't going to play Des style mind games for a trial, the players have had their schedule for sometime and the top squad were fully aware they would not be participating in this weekends trial.
The folks who keep bagging Mbye should save themselves because he is primed for a big one. Moses has his teammates excited about his anticipated contribution in 18 in the same way players and most fans are waiting to see RFM unleashed. Watch him go.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Can’t believe how accepting people are of the coach not trialling players. Dean Pay is far too relaxed going into this season.

Out of all the teams this year we have the most reason to run a first grade team in the trials:
New spine-
with a fullback who has never played fullback Bar 40 minutes where the raiders did nothing that required fullback intervention
Unsettled halves pairing
Halfback coming back from significant injury time off as well as mental health problems
Hooker who is being told to change up his game plan and run more (will need time to find the balance between running and not running, don’t be surprised to see him running too often for the first couple of weeks till he gets used to being “unshackled”).

Forwards: Starting Prop and whatever the hell Tolman is this season not having played actual game minutes for months.
Bench nowhere near sorted from the look of things.

Allegedly we have a new play style, meaning we will take time to get used to this style. Why not get used to it when wins and losses don’t matter? I’m all for giving a new coach a new chance, but remember Pay isn’t free from criticism. He’s a rookie coach and he’s going against everything the best coaches do in pre-season so people will rightfully question his decisions. If we come out firing in round 1 and destroy the Storm and keep that up for the first few weeks of the comp then I’m sure Pay made the right decision. However, if the Storm blow us off the park early on because combinations struggle, Mbye is shit at positioning himself, or our players run out of steam at the end of the halves because they have no match fitness, then it’s all on him and this decision.
I agree in part, but tootally disagree in others. First of all, how much do you really know about Dean Pay? How much do any of us know? The players may be much happier, but dont consider this a sign of weakness from our coach. Dean will have them up for round one, and if they lose it can hardly be blamed on the fact the players didnt play in the second trial. They have been training their arses off all off season, so 40 mins of football or whatever is not going to prove the vital cog that turned them all into superstars or instantly made them click.
If they lose in round one its because the team on a whole needs time to gell, and the team they are playing are the defending premiers stacked full of superstars and future immortals who have been playing together for ten to fifteen years, not because they missed out on a trial game.
Try and have faith in what Dean Pay thinks is best for the team at this time, afterall he knows better then anyone on the kennel, and this is 100% fact!!!

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
To be fair I’m
Not worried about a guy like woods not playing yet he reps Australia he knows how to prepare/ sure he won’t be as fit but 20-40
Mins won’t change a lot really.

I get what your saying about Mbye needing more Practise though as others said maybe pays trying something he wants to and if that’s the case so be it.

There’s a few guys in there like burr Ogden Eastwood Martin Cleeland the Marshall bro that have a point prove. Even To’omaga etc they have a chance to earn a spot this year. The rest we know will be there and majority of them like Foran Morris bros hoppa klemmer Jackson etc don’t need to prove anything and to be fair are all fit guys.

Lichaa rfm Mbye etc are
Obviously fit and young and there too.

Combos will come in time and training.

Another 40
Minute of that won’t make
Our season. Though other logic is if a few teams
Cop a bad injury in the trial it could end there’s!

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not likely, Pay isn't going to play Des style mind games for a trial, the players have had their schedule for sometime and the top squad were fully aware they would not be participating in this weekends trial.
The folks who keep bagging Mbye should save themselves because he is primed for a big one. Moses has his teammates excited about his anticipated contribution in 18 in the same way players and most fans are waiting to see RFM unleashed. Watch him go.
Oohh oohh but but we need to work on our combos. We have a brand new team with heaps of players that have never played 1st grade before. If they dont play this trail which means fuck all then our season is over.

People are acting like Pay has no idea what his doing.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
No need for doom and gloom its a trials game ffs... we play Penrith in r3 so why go all out in this trial and give them a good look into the way we play?
Perhaps Pay is being smart and conservative as he realises we arguably have the hardest start to the season out of any other side, facing the Storm, Roosters, Panthers and Souths in the first month...
Rabbits could be easy but the good friday clashes are always full of surprises.
So yeah i'm content with the coaches decision and as the old saying goes; 'you play the way you train' and from the reports we have been given over the offseason the boys (excluding a few troubled youngsters) seem to have been tearing it up.
Im pumped for round 1!

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We should have a trial televised every year. Look at Souths, they have the charity shield every year & had an additional game this year. Their marketing department is doing their job!

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Pay has definitely settled on his team for round one going by this.

Unless a player jumps out and bangs the door down this Saturday we are ready and primed for 2018.

Do agree with mbye playing one more half but hey that’s the coaches decision.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That number 14 utility role and last prop spot are the only 2 spots imo up for grabs.

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
Looking forward to seeing Jeremy Marshall King start in the 7 with Cleeland at 6. Also good to see Rhyse Martin named

Status
Not open for further replies.