Train Discussion Megathread - Etiquette / Strikes / Gripes

Ecca

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Take a look at this post from my man @Ecca and how well drivers get paid - yet they want more (this isn't directed at @Ecca as I know he's a good bloke, rather the union).
Let Me clarify..

Who here works Monday to Friday?

I did... and I made $89,000 a year.

As a train driver, if I worked Mon to Fri 9 - 5 I would earn currently $73,000

everything else is compensation for doing extra work, or shift work.

If you want to compare incomes, make sure it is apples for apples

Ecca

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
@Ecca will get you for that lol.
But if they want to keep striking ill have a crack i put 3 hrs on a train simulator last night , i can toot a horn and push a lever
They are advertising again brother.

I love my job, I do, that is not in dispute

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I applied for shits and giggles mate, and now, can't imagine doing anything else
I just want to know man, when it comes to driving the 2 silver trains, are the drivers compartments air conditioned? Because sometimes the trains are hot as :(

Ecca

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I just want to know man, when it comes to driving the 2 silver trains, are the drivers compartments air conditioned? Because sometimes the trains are hot as :(
Short answer - YES

Long answer - I find the oldest ones the "S Sets" which have no passenger air conditioning, to have the strongest air conditioning for drivers, but it is feast or famine, turn it on and get icy nipples, leave it off and the cab gets beyond hot. the other silver sets the "K" and "C" Sets have air conditioning, but it is about as good as the passengers get.

All of that said, I can open a window

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It’s a pretty well paid job considering it’s unskilled.
The offer they rejected was at least double what we got last EBA and we got the maximum allowed in the current bargaining framework.
They’ve also got a $1000 one off payment and free public transport.
Add to that, the “phone poll” they held was a laughable joke and the question asked in a way that it would virtually guarantee a vote for strike action.
The union would do well to realize that these actions are almost always won and lost in the court of public opinion, and shitting on 1/2 of the population of NSW, will turn them against you and will only strengthen the governments resolve. Remember the teachers a few years back ?
The voting public isn’t a pawn.

Ecca

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
It’s a pretty well paid job considering it’s unskilled.
The offer they rejected was at least double what we got last EBA and we got the maximum allowed in the current bargaining framework.
They’ve also got a $1000 one off payment and free public transport.
Add to that, the “phone poll” they held was a laughable joke and the question asked in a way that it would virtually guarantee a vote for strike action.
The union would do well to realize that these actions are almost always won and lost in the court of public opinion, and shitting on 1/2 of the population of NSW, will turn them against you and will only strengthen the governments resolve. Remember the teachers a few years back ?
The voting public isn’t a pawn.
Ooohhhh someone has listened to the media scare campaign.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Ooohhhh someone has listened to the media scare campaign.
Well. I’m not involved in the negotiations, if that’s what you’re asking ? So I can only get my information from the media.
But both sides of the media are reporting the same figures, so they must be accurate.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Well. I’m not involved in the negotiations, if that’s what you’re asking ? So I can only get my information from the media.
But both sides of the media are reporting the same figures, so they must be accurate.
Ecca has given figures of what he actually makes.

Thursday's ban was on overtime
The union lambasted the new timetable when it first came out
Andrew Constance is quoted as saying he can't wait to have driverless trains so he doesn't have to work with unions (damn those drivers asking for rights, they should just be slaves)
He's also quoted in praising privatisation of our public transport system
The fair work commission which is supposed to be independent has also been stacked with LNP ideology IPA cronies

There's a lot left out of some media agency reports

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Ecca has given figures of what he actually makes.

Thursday's ban was on overtime
The union lambasted the new timetable when it first came out
Andrew Constance is quoted as saying he can't wait to have driverless trains so he doesn't have to work with unions (damn those drivers asking for rights, they should just be slaves)
He's also quoted in praising privatisation of our public transport system
The fair work commission which is supposed to be independent has also been stacked with LNP ideology IPA cronies

There's a lot left out of some media agency reports
I understand all of that, and no doubt it sucks. Constance sounds like a ****. But the numbers I quoted are accurate.
Also, if you’re worried about not being respected by your employer, withholding your labour isnt a great way to get it back.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I understand all of that, and no doubt it sucks. Constance sounds like a ****. But the numbers I quoted are accurate.
Also, if you’re worried about not being respected by your employer, withholding your labour isnt a great way to get it back.
If your employer has unrealistic expectations of you to work 12 to 16 hour days, 6 days a week continuously would you really care about your employers respect?