Australia Day thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
My stance on Australia Day is probably controversial.

I don't see why Aboriginals are whinging and complaining and carrying on. This whole "Invasion Day" rubbish is laughable. None of them, nor their grandparents and great grandparents would have been impacted by it, and they are most certainly better off now than they would have been.

EVERY country and continent has been colonised, so it was a matter of WHEN not IF. That is a fact.

Either Aboriginals would have had to advance their civilisation to a colonised point they could defend "their land", or (as history shows), someone else was going to move in and colonise it for them.

As luck may have it, it was the English, whom (despite it getting messy), it could have been far worse as many other colonising/travelling ethnicities at the time simply would have completely eradicated every single Aboriginal on sight and claimed the land their own.

I firmly believe if not for western intervention and colonisation, they would have gone the way of the Incans/Aztecs (which scientists now believe got wiped out due to a massive salamonella outbreak).

Australia Day isn't as much about celebrating the invasion (as they call it) of this fine country, but rather celebrating everything that is traditionally Australian and what it means to be a proud Australian.

Regardless WHAT the day is, those that whinge, complain, and ditch their uni arts course to placard with the Aboriginals to change the date, will ALWAYS complain about "Invasion Day", despite it not impacting them in the slightest.
The ethics of English colonialists v others is potentially a long debate.

But even going along with all you have said, you don't find it a bit strange that no other nation uses the date of its foreign colonisation at its national day?

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I question his friendship at times

We were very close during our youth
I went on to get married get a house have kids

He has lived the single life

He is always wanting me to hang out with him like we did 20 years ago
So basically, you're old and have given up? Come on man.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Anthony is a dumb ****

Doing things in halves maintain the separation

Celebrating the entire day as one for unity Is as it should be

The date can be debated

But Australia Day is a day for all Australian people
Yes Mundine is a dick..however even a broken clock is right twice a day..and it’s not about halves..not at all.. it’s about recognising and uniting.. You bang on about celebrating and unity.. In reality it just doesn’t work..and it will never work..you can’t just wash your hands of it..because it hasn’t been dealt with..that’s the problem..

And by the way I have no problem with the date..at all..don’t know why you mentioned it in relation to my post..because technically it’s August 22nd 1770 that should concern Indigenous Australians..the day Cook arrived in Botany Bay..

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Yes Mundine is a dick..however even a broken clock is right twice a day..and it’s not about halves..not at all.. it’s about recognising and uniting.. You bang on about celebrating and unity.. In reality it just doesn’t work..and it will never work..you can’t just wash your hands of it..because it hasn’t been dealt with..that’s the problem..

And by the way I have no problem with the date..at all..don’t know why you mentioned it in relation to my post..because technically it’s August 22nd 1770 that should concern Indigenous Australians..the day Cook arrived in Botany Bay..
Ar you saying that:

The time has come.
To say fair's fair
To pay the rent
To pay our share?

Sorry, that song popped into my head :p

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Ar you saying that:

The time has come.
To say fair's fair
To pay the rent
To pay our share?

Ha ha ha.. Hey don’t align me with Garret..ha ha.. All I’m saying is..you can’t just ignore it.. However, we also need to realise the thinking in the 1770s was different to now..so that’s gotta be taking in to account too!

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Ha ha ha.. Hey don’t align me with Garret..ha ha.. All I’m saying is..you can’t just ignore it.. However, we also need to realise the thinking in the 1770s was different to now..so that’s gotta be taking in to account too!
This is why patriotism and nationalistic jingo irks me.

We're all human, we're all distant cousins, ergo everyone's responsible for everything

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Listen to me brother, and listen to me good...

EVERY SINGLE ASSYRIAN ON THIS PLANET IS WELCOME IN LEBANON, PERIOD.
Very true bro, pleanty of Lebanese Assyrians.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Have you seen what they do to competing drug lords over there?

There's no farking way I'd want to be a terrorist over there.

One wrong move, blow up one cocaine/opium farm, and your entire family tree is wiped out. Cut up, and left scattered all over the landscape in the jungles for jaguars to devour, whilst their heads are left on sticks entering the town to remind terrorists to stay out.
I think a terrorist doesn’t really worry about getting killed him self or his family memebers for his cause.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
There is no point changing the date, because the problem will still exist (people whinging about the past).

There are no solutions to that because Aboriginals can't let go of the issue, and yet have proposed no real ideas to fix the problem (which doesn't actually need fixing in the first place).

It's like saying "in the early 1900s people rode penny farthings... we better pass a law that riding penny farthings is now illegal". Why? It'd be pointless.

It's trying to resolve an issue that doesnt need fixing, and they don't want rectified.

Kinda like a kid in a supermarket who whinges and moans and when asks "what do you want", replies "nothing", and continues to whinge.

Ar you saying that:

The time has come.
To say fair's fair
To pay the rent
To pay our share?

I give you almost 4 minutes of action packed Peter Garrett Dancing... Mute it for even greater viewing pleasure!

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
This is why patriotism and nationalistic jingo irks me.

We're all human, we're all distant cousins, ergo everyone's responsible for everything
Unfortunately the majority of people look at the differences not the similarities..

Last edited:

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Should Waltzing Matilda become our new national anthem?

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Should Waltzing Matilda become our new national anthem?
The tune is great..but it’s about stealing a sheep..

Ps..this guy nailed it..lol!

Last edited:

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
They will eventually change the date which I'm not here or there about really, change it if it helps. But I do take offence with calling it invasion day. My family took no part of those things and I was not alive so I do not have anything to answer for. Don't try and make me.

My oldest friend is Aboriginal. As a little kid I didn't care as I don't now of course. He is just my friend. I don't feel I have to be sorry for anything to do with racism against aboriginals.

Last edited:

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
may be they also never illegally invaded Islamic countries, but yeah we don't want to talk about that. lol
If the West leaves the Middle East completely tomorrow. What happens?

In your own words and opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.