Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Same can be said for any day that gets celebrated

Just because you don't get it
Doesn't make it not worth celebrating for those who do get it.

So if you don't get it, perhaps your input here is limited
Not at all. I can see the relevance for Anzac day or for labour day.

Two days of remembrance which imo are more important than Australia day

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Not at all. I can see the relevance for Anzac day or for labour day.

Two days of remembrance which imo are more important than Australia day
And celebrating our great nation on a selected day is also important

That fact it's not important to you as an individual is of no importance to the rest of the nation

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Regards point 2

So white Australian flag wearing is your issue and Pauline Hansen wearing it

Right

Weird to think that is naff

But you are free to that opinion

Gee you do well at expressing all that you find naff about Australia in the week of Australia Day celebrating

Kills you to think of or discuss anything positive doesn't it

Like your freedom
So it appear you too have caught the bug of over-exaggeration.

I have made plenty of positive comments, and fairly neutral comments about Australia Day, and what I am up to on the day, including celebrating it. I have also commented about how great this country is.

If I hate Australia Day so much, do you really think I would be giving up a day off to stand in a hot hall in a suit and officiate at a bloody citizenship ceremony? Is welcoming over thirty new Australians positive enough?

But ok, ok.... it's January, in the "don't dare say anything not awesome about Australia whatsoever" window.

So Aussie Aussie Aussie!!! Oi Oi Oi!!!

The best country in the world!!!

My apologies to the Oz Bros:

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
So it appear you too have caught the bug of over-exaggeration.

I have made plenty of positive comments, and fairly neutral comments about Australia Day, and what I am up to on the day, including celebrating it. I have also commented about how great this country is.

If I hate Australia Day so much, do you really think I would be giving up a day off to stand in a hot hall in a suit and officiate at a bloody citizenship ceremony? Is welcoming over thirty new Australians positive enough?

But ok, ok.... it's January, in the "don't dare say anything not awesome about Australia whatsoever" window.

So Aussie Aussie Aussie!!! Oi Oi Oi!!!

The best country in the world!!!

My apologies to the Oz Bros:

Welcome them well

I hope these new Australian people enjoy their new and better lives in this great nation we have built up in only 200 years

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I can honestly say that this thread is making me a bit sad.

I'm proud of the country that we live in. I think that in general we've had a progressive attitude in many regards and in a few others not so much. It concerns me a lot that our politicians have willingly sold off our national assets for peanuts more than the fact that a portion of Aboriginals find the date that we celebrate our national day distasteful. I can see where they are coming from with it. But that progressive attitude I mentioned has seen some gradual changes being implemented including the fact that we've recently seen moves in place for Aboriginals to be involved in discussions about how they can improve their lot more wisely in areas where they've historically been trapped in something of a poverty loop. I applaud that. But I still think that at this stage in time no matter how far we go to nullify the actions of the past we will still see a significant portion of aboriginals in Australia feeling they deserve special treatment.

All things considered, I'll celebrate the day whenever it's held. But I don't enjoy the politics that have to surround it.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

I'm proud of the country that we live in. I think that in general we've had a progressive attitude in many regards and in a few others not so much. It concerns me a lot that our politicians have willingly sold off our national assets for peanuts more than the fact that a portion of Aboriginals find the date that we celebrate our national day distasteful. I can see where they are coming from with it. But that progressive attitude I mentioned has seen some gradual changes being implemented including the fact that we've recently seen moves in place for Aboriginals to be involved in discussions about how they can improve their lot more wisely in areas where they've historically been trapped in something of a poverty loop. I applaud that. But I still think that at this stage in time no matter how far we go to nullify the actions of the past we will still see a significant portion of aboriginals in Australia feeling they deserve special treatment.

All things considered, I'll celebrate the day whenever it's held. But I don't enjoy the politics that have to surround it.
A very honest assessment there.

And all those politics need to be addressed and will be

Now feel free to delve a little deeper into what makes this progressive nation one of the greatest in the world to live in for all who chose to call Australia home.

I recently broke my hand
I was fortunate that the Australian Medicare system ensured I was appropriately seen to and operated on

And continually attended to until completely healed

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Entire South America doesn’t suffer from “Islamic terror” , wonder why.
Have you seen what they do to competing drug lords over there?

There's no farking way I'd want to be a terrorist over there.

One wrong move, blow up one cocaine/opium farm, and your entire family tree is wiped out. Cut up, and left scattered all over the landscape in the jungles for jaguars to devour, whilst their heads are left on sticks entering the town to remind terrorists to stay out.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Have you seen what they do to competing drug lords over there?

There's no farking way I'd want to be a terrorist over there.

One wrong move, blow up one cocaine/opium farm, and your entire family tree is wiped out. Cut up, and left scattered all over the landscape in the jungles for jaguars to devour, whilst their heads are left on sticks entering the town to remind terrorists to stay out.
True. They have enough violence to worry about, they would be all like: "meh, terrorists"

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
So much better living in Australia wouldn't you agree

Something worth celebrating on January 26th
I guess not being the control of drug lords and having a lower homicide rate than a third world country is something to celebrate. I'll put that in my speech :grinning:

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

I don't really see it as a "political" discussion though (although others of course either do themselves, or perceive others are making it so). Probably depends on definitions I suppose.

So, what are you up to on Australia Day?

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I guess not being the control of drug lords and having a lower homicide rate than a third world country is something to celebrate. I'll put that in my speech :grinning:
Yes
It's the fact we have built a nation that is of first world standards is the angle to take

And that we are ever progressive
And striving to be always better

How wonderful is that?
Australia is a wonderful country isn't it

Something worth celebrating that's for sure

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't really see it as a "political" discussion though (although others of course either do themselves, or perceive others are making it so). Probably depends on definitions I suppose.

So, what are you up to on Australia Day?
Not sure yet
A friend from Sydney has invited me to join him for a BBQ

I may not go though

He is a single man and did not invite my family

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
My stance on Australia Day is probably controversial.

I don't see why Aboriginals are whinging and complaining and carrying on. This whole "Invasion Day" rubbish is laughable. None of them, nor their grandparents and great grandparents would have been impacted by it, and they are most certainly better off now than they would have been.

EVERY country and continent has been colonised, so it was a matter of WHEN not IF. That is a fact.

Either Aboriginals would have had to advance their civilisation to a colonised point they could defend "their land", or (as history shows), someone else was going to move in and colonise it for them.

As luck may have it, it was the English, whom (despite it getting messy), it could have been far worse as many other colonising/travelling ethnicities at the time simply would have completely eradicated every single Aboriginal on sight and claimed the land their own.

I firmly believe if not for western intervention and colonisation, they would have gone the way of the Incans/Aztecs (which scientists now believe got wiped out due to a massive salamonella outbreak).

Australia Day isn't as much about celebrating the invasion (as they call it) of this fine country, but rather celebrating everything that is traditionally Australian and what it means to be a proud Australian.

Regardless WHAT the day is, those that whinge, complain, and ditch their uni arts course to placard with the Aboriginals to change the date, will ALWAYS complain about "Invasion Day", despite it not impacting them in the slightest.

True. They have enough violence to worry about, they would be all like: "meh, terrorists"
Terrorists would fear the cartels. At least terrorists have a reason behind a murder. Cartels do it "because they disrespected me". Very little value for human life in South American countries.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Not sure yet
A friend from Sydney has invited me to join him for a BBQ

I may not go though

He is a single man and did not invite my family
Thats.just.bizzare..

"Hey man come over to mine for an Aussie Day BBQ, but leave your kids and missus at home"..
*whispers* and come in via the back door, as the entire front will be covered up... just you.... me.... *moans* and alcohooooooolllll.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Thats.just.bizzare..

"Hey man come over to mine for an Aussie Day BBQ, but leave your kids and missus at home"..
*whispers* and come in via the back door, as the entire front will be covered up... just you.... me.... *moans* and alcohooooooolllll.
I question his friendship at times

We were very close during our youth
I went on to get married get a house have kids

He has lived the single life

He is always wanting me to hang out with him like we did 20 years ago

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I definitely can understand why Indigenous Australians still get upset..Yes the First Fleet arrived 230 years ago but it was only as far back as 1967 that they were ‘officially’ recognised as fauna of Australia.. In addition they were never consulted with..or negotiated with to create a treaty..they were pretty much ignored..as the concept of ‘occupied’ land between the two peoples was vastly different..so there is certainly grounds for the lingering bitterness towards the arrival of Europeans..

However in saying that, Australia Day is actually a great opportunity to unite..rather than divide.. Anthony Mundine (although he’s changed his view now) suggested an an idea worth exploring..(I can’t believe I’m actually seeing merit in something he’s said!!!!!) He suggested..that up until midday Australia should recognise the traditional owners of the land..including the harsh treatment of them..the second half of the day should celebrate just how far Australia has come..including the relationship with Australian Aboriginals..and how far we still have to go..

I think this is an idea which has merit.. Because Australia Day is just that..to me anyway..It’s about celebrating what a wonderful country we ALL have..it’s about celebrating those who have made their way to our shores..of all different cultures..before..and now..and are privileged..and proud to call Australia home.. It’s also about acknowledging our past..and striving to make a better future together..

Anyway..thats what Australia Day means to me..a celebration of our diversity..reflecting..and learning from our past..and working together as one..to create a greater future..

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Mr I,
Thats.just.bizzare..

I don't think its that bizarre.

I know it night be different once one has kids, but not every couple is joined at the hip. If a single mate of mine was in town and wanted to catch up, my wife wouldn't want to come along TBH.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I definitely can understand why Indigenous Australians still get upset..Yes the First Fleet arrived 230 years ago but it was only as far back as 1967 that they were ‘officially’ recognised as fauna of Australia.. In addition they were never consulted with..or negotiated with to create a treaty..they were pretty much ignored..as the concept of ‘occupied’ land between the two peoples was vastly different..so there is certainly grounds for the lingering bitterness towards the arrival of Europeans..

However in saying that, Australia Day is actually a great opportunity to unite..rather than divide.. Anthony Mundine (although he’s changed his view now) suggested an an idea worth exploring..(I can’t believe I’m actually seeing merit in something he’s said!!!!!) He suggested..that up until midday Australia should recognise the traditional owners of the land..including the harsh treatment of them..the second half of the day should celebrate just how far Australia has come..including the relationship with Australian Aboriginals..and how far we still have to go..

I think this is an idea which has merit.. Because Australia Day is just that..to me anyway..It’s about celebrating what a wonderful country we ALL have..it’s about celebrating those who have made their way to our shores..of all different cultures..before..and now..and are privileged..and proud to call Australia home.. It’s also about acknowledging our past..and striving to make a better future together..

Anyway..thats what Australia Day means to me..a celebration of our diversity..reflecting..and learning from our past..and working together as one..to create a greater future..
Anthony is a dumb ****

Doing things in halves maintain the separation

Celebrating the entire day as one for unity Is as it should be

The date can be debated

But Australia Day is a day for all Australian people

Status
Not open for further replies.