Bulldogs sign Jack Cogger for 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I mean no disrespect I meant that clearly pay has made it clear if Cogger can get released he’s the 7 unless he fucks it up.
I didn't read it that way. It seemed to me that he was keen to get him as he thought he was a promising young player that COULD work his way into the FG side but more importantly learn his craft from Foz. I'm sure if he excels he will get in the side but I don't think he is a walk up this year.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
From the same article as quoted by Dean Pay.

“He’s already here for 2019 and 2020, so if he came early it would create healthy competition for the position. That can only be a good thing for the club.’’

Robert61

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Yeah, you are right.

I wonder what happens with Mbye if he doesn't succeed at fullback?
Clearly Pay doesn't rate him as a halfback either
Fail at fullback and they will put him in at right back, right back in the crowd. Highest paid rent a crowder then

Robert61

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
GRRR, I remember round 12 1982 as we were leading Wests until just after half time. Trevor was on the hill eating a meat pie & got the call up for the bench. He came on & scored 2 tries to win the game for them.
Well that's the answer. find out who made them meat pies and sign them to major sponsorship. Our secret weapon for 2018 !

zac hollywood

Waterboy
Reaction score
If thats really the big issue, then I will counter by saying that Maloney is a good example of a quality half who is historically one of the players with the most missed tackles in the comp. He missed the second most in the NRL for 2017.

If the kid can offer enough in attack then I'm sure we can deal with it. He's still young and has time to bulk up as well as work on that aspect of his game.

I don't put too much stock into that BTW, I suspect it's more likely that he wasn't given as many opportunities because of his age, being further down in Newcastle's depth / the other guys ahead of him probably showing just that bit more.
I seen a lot of this kid last year I think its a bad signing . and age well brock lambs the same age
If thats really the big issue, then I will counter by saying that Maloney is a good example of a quality half who is historically one of the players with the most missed tackles in the comp. He missed the second most in the NRL for 2017.

If the kid can offer enough in attack then I'm sure we can deal with it. He's still young and has time to bulk up as well as work on that aspect of his game.

I don't put too much stock into that BTW, I suspect it's more likely that he wasn't given as many opportunities because of his age, being further down in Newcastle's depth / the other guys ahead of him probably showing just that bit more.[/QU theres guys who miss tackles but can tackle. coggers not one of them and hes very slow

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
You understand that he probably shouldn’t have even played last season right? His pelvis was fucking shot.

Give the kid a chance.

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw a lot of him in the Juniors being a Newcastle Resident. Cogger and Lamb were mighty impressive in the Juniors. Cogger if he kicks on in first grade like he did the Juniors will be exactly the halfback we need . Good organiser, decent kicking game and can break the line. Don’t judge anything you have seen of him last year as he should not of been on the field after sustaining a serious long term injury. It’s also a very harsh judge to crucify his first grade performances as an 18 year in one of the worst sides in history(Knights 2016). To add further to this Lamb had a touch more brilliance than Cogger but he also had more mistakes in him. We have signed the more solid option out of the 2 young guns.

Last edited:

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
You understand that he probably shouldn’t have even played last season right? His pelvis was fucking shot.

Give the kid a chance.
Same people would be going off if he turns out to be a great player and we passed up the chance to sign him.

There's no surplus of brilliant halves on the market so I'm glad they took a chance on this kid.

zac hollywood

Waterboy
Reaction score
Heard of needles? Clubs do anything possible to get injured players on the field
90per cent of players play injured each week if he was so bad they wouldn't of played him especially a young kid when it means nothing the sides coming last

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Bit unfair to judge him off a few first grade games for a team that has run last for years. Sure he may have been a defensive liability, but the ENTIRE team was a defensive liability lol.

He can't be that bad. He's played Jr reps and already played first grade at a young age. Learning from Foz will help him.

Good signing.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I saw a lot of him in the Juniors being a Newcastle Resident. Cogger and Lamb were mighty impressive in the Juniors. Cogger if he kicks on in first grade like he did the Juniors will be exactly the halfback we need . Good organiser, decent kicking game and can break the line. Don’t judge anything you have seen of him last year as he should not of been on the field after sustaining a serious long term injury. It’s also a very harsh judge to crucify his first grade performances as an 18 year in one of the worst sides in history(Knights 2016). To add further to this Lamb had a touch more brilliance than Cogger but he also had more mistakes in him. We have signed the more solid option out of the 2 young guns.
I’d say Cogger probably had more of the brilliance out of the two, Lamb was someone that could probably make things happen more often but Cogger was the one who controlled everything better, he was more the general of the team out of the two which is perfect for us. Foran will take the line on and probably be chief playmaker the first year but Cogger will eventually take over that role sort of like DCE and Foran at Manly. Cogger has the better kicking game, the better organization skills and my favorite thing about him is he’s genuine footballing IQ. He is an extremely smart footballer. He is similar to Cronk in terms of game style, not saying he is as good as Cronk or ever will be close to the player Cronk is but in terms of how they play they are very similar and Lamb plays more like a Foran or Maloney.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Is that likely to cause him future issues.?
Pelvis injuries usually recover well with proper treatment and time which is what Cogger would have received. They can cause a bit of pain in the older years but in terms of his playing career it shouldn’t affect him all that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.