Bulldogs sign Jack Cogger for 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Alexander the Great

If the halves have any balls they will fight for their position. It will be a good thing if we clear the dead wood players like Frawley if anyone thinks we are winning a comp or even making the finals with him at halfback then they are in dreamland.
i was thinking that today.. this could spark pur current halves to hit form abd play for the spot in 2019.
i have a feeling this year could be huge for us..

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
So he's not 100% confirmed in first grade.. and Pay wants him to battle it out with Cleeland, Brown, Frawley for that spot.

I have a bad feeling we could lose some halves depth as a result of this.

If he isn't here this year, I'm sure the other options wouldn't appreciate Pays' comments about "wanting a half we can move forwards with".
Pay didn't sign any of those blokes so they should feel under the pump like a few others in the squad, but like Lichaa it is up to them to make themselves indispensable. I mean it's not as like we are punting an SOO half and replacing him with some old bloke are we? I mean who would do that to win a comp? Sometimes we forget that footy is actually a competition not just between teams but within them. That's one big thing that has held us back in recent years - not enough internal competition.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
And that's the Knights decision. If that situation comes up then they will have to deal with it in whatever way they see fit.
Agree 100%.
My point is, an early release may be a possibility.

Gabe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
So he's not 100% confirmed in first grade.. and Pay wants him to battle it out with Cleeland, Brown, Frawley for that spot.

If he isn't here this year, I'm sure the other options wouldn't appreciate Pays' comments about "wanting a half we can move forwards with".
Mate bringing in better talent is the best thing you can do to improve depth?

I interpreted Pay's comment "we're looking for a young half we can move forward with" the opposite to the way you have. He wouldn't be 'looking' if he saw what he wanted already at the club.

Coggar is 100% better player than the 3 others he is competing against. So by that rationale he is a 100% lock for first grade when he comes.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
anybody who watched this kid play a handful of first grade games will see this kid is rubbish what a waste of a signing people will say hes only 20 but the kid has nothing even brown said he wasn't up to it
I would have thought it would be difficult for most halves let alone very young ones to have success when playing behind a beaten pack week in week out. Time will be the judge. I think it's unfair to write him off when he hasn't even arrived & won't be here for another 12 months (unless released early).

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Any signing of a 20 year old with 8 NRL games under the belt is a signing based on potential. Given his credentials so far, this is the best signing I can recall the club making of a young no. 7 prospect.

Regardless of future potential, Coggar is much better right now than any of the other options at the club.
What about this one?1977 Vol 8 Issue 13.JPG

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yes I understand Newcastle can make him stay.
However if he has a chance this season to start in the first grade team I think they should release him.
Swings & roundabouts, it won't be long before the knight are on the other side of a similar conundrum.

I think the right thing to do is let him come to the dogs for the 2018 season.
Of course its the right thing to do. They only have pearce because he was granted an early release, so for them to dig their heels in for a young guy who wants a genuine chance to play first grade is simply rediculous.
The othwr thing i have been thinking is that most coachea are ex players, and this is why they should allow a player the opportunity to take up a better opportunity at a other club in a case like this. Im sure they would have expected the same thing in their playing days.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Who cares what they think. At least they know the coach expects them to perform in order to earn their spot. Or did you prefer haslers methods where no player was ever dropped?
I guess the shadow players are in similar position really, but at least they know they have a chance. And if they cant handle the fact that they need to fight for their position then they should choose another profession.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
My question if he was such a good halfback why didn't he start there for a Samoan team that was lacking halves?

He struggled to get a bench spot didn't he?
I think your confused mate. Jack cogger is white aussie mate, not samoan. Your perhaps thinking of the knights hooker....

Last edited:

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm going to hope for the best with Cogger whether he arrives this year or next. It sounds like he will be a good signing. For now we have a roster who are hopefully getting every chance to stake their claims for an NRL spot from 1 to 17. If some of our current roster get the shits that we're trying to bring a kid with plenty of potential to the club they have the wrong attitude and should use this as a whip to perform as well as they can.

I think it's a positive thing that we're chasing quality youngsters and actually managing to snare their signatures. For a few years we've gone hard for a big name then seemingly waited till most of the better signings have been made and picked up filler players.

Reactions: TAS

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Maybe he means Nu Brown?
The knights hooker Levi is such a wanker. I’d hate if we got him
Thats the one i was thinking of. Danny levi represented samoa i think. Def not cogger. Lol

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm going to hope for the best with Cogger whether he arrives this year or next. It sounds like he will be a good signing. For now we have a roster who are hopefully getting every chance to stake their claims for an NRL spot from 1 to 17. If some of our current roster get the shits that we're trying to bring a kid with plenty of potential to the club they have the wrong attitude and should use this as a whip to perform as well as they can.

I think it's a positive thing that we're chasing quality youngsters and actually managing to snare their signatures. For a few years we've gone hard for a big name then seemingly waited till most of the better signings have been made and picked up filler players.
This exactly.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Won't get him into our starting lineup if he is released early.Pay has settled on the combinations for now.
7. Frawley 6. Foran ? . Thats what those been to training sessions and spoken to plsyers this year have said

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Pay said “we’d jump at the chance if Jack became available now’’, and would have no issues plonking the eight-game rookie in the halves on the back of a late club preparation

Status
Not open for further replies.