Playing our Players out of their natural positions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good first post mate.
It’s definitely a problem as it is with our lock & fullback positions too.
Maybe that’s why Pay wants Cogger early.
We do seem to have an abundance of 5/8ths & a lack of controlling halfbacks don’t we
Thanks Natboy

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Don't agree. Foran can play both roles but has always played more like a 7 without constantly being on the ball. Look back at his Manly days, he was the one that guided the team around he park, he got them through their sets, he kept everything running smoothly. Then during attacking plays he was the halfback with Stewart playing 5/8 on his outside, go back and look at all the replays if you don't remember. Foran goes and DCE falls apart and never fully recovers until Blake Green comes along and plays that role for DCE again.

It simply comes down to the fact the we need a halfback and Foran is the best suited to that role. We don't have the luxury of having him chime in whenever he sees fit, we need him on the ball at first receiver using his vision to target the defence and move us around the park.
I agree. I saw him play at Parra like a HB, the warriors like a HB and most of all a HB against Australia for NZ. He is not a young 5/8 coming through the ranks anymore, his a seasoned footballing pro.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good post Ant2611. I think you summed it up very nicely. He is a 5/8 through and through. He plays like a 5/8.
Foran does not have to be first receiver, and I believe it better if he is not. It can cramp a 5/8 as he doesnt always have room to move.
He is much better served if the dummy half makes the 7 the first receiver and them onto the 6. By the time the 6 gets the ball, there is more opportunities to do things.
There's our next conundrum can Micheal pass the ball quick enough and to the correct people to get us rolling and can certain forwards get out of the way or play to a better game plan guess we will all find out very soon less than 50 days

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congratulations on leaving the ranks of the lurkers (readers that don't post) Ant.

If Lichaa distributes the ball like he did last year and in previous years, then our halfback will be wearing 8 or 10 and we'll play with a 5/8 on either side in 6 or 7 that have to wait for a prop to give them ball. Lichaa has shown in a few games that he can run it well from dummy half, but his first instinct is to throw a short pass to whichever prop is closest to him unfortunately.

I Hope Pay is working hard on breaking Lichaa out of this habit. We'll be a better football team if he can accomplish that one thing. I'm happy to wait and see how our playing style changes under a new coach. Haslers best days as a coach were when he could use decoy running with big boppers to create space which made it easier for halves to get by with a simple running and passing game. I'm not sure if Hasler instructed Lichaa to pop those short balls to forwards even late in the tackle count or whether that is just a Lichaa thing. But whoever gets the nod to start the season in the halves alongside Foran, they will have more freedom to create if they get earlier ball in my opinion.
AND I THINK you summed up a lot of our problems right there, I hope and believe that our direction and discipline under new coach Pay will drastically improve our style anything would be an improvement on what we 've seen in the last few years. I do believe a lot of the one off hit ups happened because our players WERE FRIGHTENED TO MAKE MISTAKES AND GO AGAINST THE COACH AND HIS PLAN I don't think our new coach comes across as intimidating therefore our players will enjoy themselves and who knows what confidence that will bring

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If he can combine regularly with his halves partner then we can be dangerous. But if not, then pretty much what Mitch said above. It wont really matter in that case what number he wears.

In Pay we Pray. Lol
In pay we pray I love it much better ring to it than in des we trust

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd love to see Cleeland at 7 first receiver and Foran at 5/8. They would kill it. Frawley is a good back up for either and then we also have Brown. We also have Benji's bro and Lewis. Cogger next year also. Competition for starting spots will keep whoever is playing with Foran on their toes.
I could be happy with that but I tend to think we haven't seen the best of Mat Frawley though, most times last year he was only given very limited minutes it seemed that he was rewarded after having a good game by having to sit on the bench for 73 mins, everyone had great expectations but he had to save a few games in 7 mins even JT would have trouble doing that

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
There's our next conundrum can Micheal pass the ball quick enough and to the correct people to get us rolling and can certain forwards get out of the way or play to a better game plan guess we will all find out very soon less than 50 days
Lichaa is a hell of a lot better player than Hasler made him look.

The last 3 games.. that's the Michael Lichaa everyone knows.. and the scary part is that with a coach that lets him play his natural game, he's only going to get better !!

Malla

Reaction score
Because of Hasler Mbye probably doesn't even know his natural position lol

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

The last 3 games.. that's the Michael Lichaa everyone knows.. and the scary part is that with a coach that lets him play his natural game, he's only going to get better !!
I hope you are right i tend to think you are at least he had the balls to say enough is enough and played very well in the last 3 games, hope it will continue next year with quick judicial passing

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I could be happy with that but I tend to think we haven't seen the best of Mat Frawley though, most times last year he was only given very limited minutes it seemed that he was rewarded after having a good game by having to sit on the bench for 73 mins, everyone had great expectations but he had to save a few games in 7 mins even JT would have trouble doing that
Frawley isn't good enough. Our ISP side was a better team without him in it, enough said.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I hope you are right i tend to think you are at least he had the balls to say enough is enough and played very well in the last 3 games, hope it will continue next year with quick judicial passing
Mbye has the most accurate pass at the club I've been told. But Lichaa can throw them pretty darn well as well.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
The most ideal halves combination in the nrl should have a creative half and an organizing structured half ,,,,,,, who wears the 6 or 7 out of the two is really irrelevant...

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Foran can play half easy but I don't care whether it's half or 5/8. Like others have said, he will run the side either way, probably switching between first and second receiver. I just hope he's fit enough to play both sides because his halves partner won't be anything too special this year.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

I hope you're right - he can run. But his passing out of DH was always too slow. Surely an NRL hooker should be able to pass off the ground. I thought I saw improvement passing out of DH for Lebanon but he has to get better in the NRL.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Continuing this thread for discussion we 've talked about Kieran Foran and his correct position , but how about all the others that our now defunct illustrious leader chose to experiment with while he was being a mad professor to start the ball rolling, I can name a few without thinking too hard: David Klemmer at lock, Josh Jackson 5/8 Tony Williams 5/8 Josh Reynolds 5/8 Moses Mybye half back Bret Morris fullback Will Hopoate full back Greg Eastwood second row Chase Stanley 5/8 to name a few, I know that some positional changes have to be made due to injury but I think most of Mr Hasbeens changes were his way of showing his warped sense of being a CONTROL FREAK. Chew on that idea boys and girls

Last edited:

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Doesn’t matter if a player is playing out of their position, as long as the team as a whole is the best it can possibly be.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doesn’t matter if a player is playing out of their position, as long as the team as a whole is the best it can possibly be.
Hey Secret, i appreciate your comments but Too succinct I was hoping for a controversial elaborate discussion ha ha !!!!

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fukin nust give cleeland a go.....he has talent...just needs to be hoven a chance

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
None of the discussed candidates will set the world on fire, but I agree that Cleeland is the best of them.
He and Foran will be very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.