Why Canterbury forward Greg Eastwood hasn’t lost his perspective despite heart scare

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
GREG Eastwood may have to retire due to his dodgy heart, but you won’t hear the veteran Bulldogs forward complaining.

This was particularly the case last Thursday when Eastwood met a 10-year-old girl at the Children’s Hospital in Randwick who has already undergone 123 surgeries.

It was a heartbreaking reality that hit the Kiwi-born prop hard, especially after his struggles with an elevated heart rate.

“It really makes you appreciate life, especially when you have five kids of your own,” Eastwood told The Sunday Telegraph.

Greg Eastwood gets perspective at Randwick Children’s Hospital.
“My five-year-old son also has to get his adenoids and tonsils taken out. He has got surgery in February, so we are a bit scared.

“I’ve been doing it a bit tough in the last few weeks not knowing what will happen next with my heart, but to hear one kid has had almost 130 surgeries really gives you some context.”

Eastwood recently underwent surgery to correct an abnormal heart rate, which occurred while he was driving teammate Danny Fualalo to training.

The heart episode also forced the New Zealand international to momentarily go blind while driving.

After his successful surgery, Eastwood received the all-clear to return to light duties at the Bulldogs last week.

However, he’ll have to wait until January to discover if he’ll be able to play a 14th season in the NRL.

Eastwood is hoping to return to training soon. Photo: Gregg Porteous
“I’ll work hard and hopefully after Christmas I can start running with them. It’s one week after surgery, so they don’t want me to go too hard.

“I’ll build up with a bit of cardio for the next couple of weeks and then I’ll see the doctor again after Christmas and hopefully he gives me the all-clear.

“But anything to do with the heart is pretty scary — you need it to live.

“The club have been really good though. They made sure I looked after my health before footy and whatever I need to do they let me do it.

“I definitely want to continue my career. I’m only 30 and I’ve still got a bit to offer so that is what I’ll be pushing for.”

Eastwood is also motivated to recover from his heart scare so he can work alongside new Bulldogs coach Dean Pay.

“Dean has been great — all the boys love him,” he said.

“He has sat everyone down individually and told them what he wants.

“We are training really hard, but Dean has been fair with a couple of days off here and there.

“He is good to communicate with. He said if you have problems to come and be honest with him and the boys are enjoying that.

“Now I hope I can repay Dean by getting on the field.”

Good insight on Pay coaching style! Hopefully it pays off!!! ;)

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Wishing him a full recovery, but because of the 800K hope he medically retires at same time

Khan00

Banned
Reaction score
Just goes to show he did have a big heart (no pun intended) but copped a shitload from half the gutless wonders on here.

Always respected his game despite the injuries he's copped, whatever is decided which is best for him, the club and his family i support 100%.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
So if he is medically retired, is he still entitled to his 800k?

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I believe so but does not count in salary cap !!!!
This is correct. He gets paid but not under the cap, if he retires for medical reasons.

And he should retire. Not because i want cap space or don't want him in the team, but because it would be dangerous for him to play on. He takes a big hit to the chest, it could be fatal if he has a dodgy ticker.

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I mentioned on the other Beastwood thread, i have a heart condition, had a heart attack 6 years ago playing sport, Beast would be a bit of a head case at the moment...i hope he has made some wise investments with his past earnings because i think it is over for him and health wise i cant see how he can make any other decision.
All the very best Beast.

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just goes to show he did have a big heart (no pun intended) but copped a shitload from half the gutless wonders on here.

Always respected his game despite the injuries he's copped, whatever is decided which is best for him, the club and his family i support 100%.
People forget how much he loves our club he paid a massive transfer fee out of his own pocket to come to us

not his fault des and dib the fuckwits paid him unders at the front end of his contract..

he wasn’t signed for 800k per year he did the club a favour by delaying his own financial gain and people want to bag him

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
My own dad passed away 9 years ago from a heart attack, while my uncle passed away from a heart attack as little as two months ago. Look after yourself Beast!!! Put yourself and your family first Greg we only have one shot at life. Whether you play on or retire you will always be a bulldog favorite in my eyes!!!

Last edited:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Looks like they are putting pressure on the NRL kinda like with the Watbro case. I guess they don't want a snake or matai situation. Hopefully he does what's best for his family and the club.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
GREG Eastwood may have to retire due to his dodgy heart, but you won’t hear the veteran Bulldogs forward complaining.

This was particularly the case last Thursday when Eastwood met a 10-year-old girl at the Children’s Hospital in Randwick who has already undergone 123 surgeries.

It was a heartbreaking reality that hit the Kiwi-born prop hard, especially after his struggles with an elevated heart rate.

“It really makes you appreciate life, especially when you have five kids of your own,” Eastwood told The Sunday Telegraph.

Greg Eastwood gets perspective at Randwick Children’s Hospital.
“My five-year-old son also has to get his adenoids and tonsils taken out. He has got surgery in February, so we are a bit scared.

“I’ve been doing it a bit tough in the last few weeks not knowing what will happen next with my heart, but to hear one kid has had almost 130 surgeries really gives you some context.”

Eastwood recently underwent surgery to correct an abnormal heart rate, which occurred while he was driving teammate Danny Fualalo to training.

The heart episode also forced the New Zealand international to momentarily go blind while driving.

After his successful surgery, Eastwood received the all-clear to return to light duties at the Bulldogs last week.

However, he’ll have to wait until January to discover if he’ll be able to play a 14th season in the NRL.

Eastwood is hoping to return to training soon. Photo: Gregg Porteous
“I’ll work hard and hopefully after Christmas I can start running with them. It’s one week after surgery, so they don’t want me to go too hard.

“I’ll build up with a bit of cardio for the next couple of weeks and then I’ll see the doctor again after Christmas and hopefully he gives me the all-clear.

“But anything to do with the heart is pretty scary — you need it to live.

“The club have been really good though. They made sure I looked after my health before footy and whatever I need to do they let me do it.

“I definitely want to continue my career. I’m only 30 and I’ve still got a bit to offer so that is what I’ll be pushing for.”

Eastwood is also motivated to recover from his heart scare so he can work alongside new Bulldogs coach Dean Pay.

“Dean has been great — all the boys love him,” he said.

“He has sat everyone down individually and told them what he wants.

“We are training really hard, but Dean has been fair with a couple of days off here and there.

“He is good to communicate with. He said if you have problems to come and be honest with him and the boys are enjoying that.

“Now I hope I can repay Dean by getting on the field.”

Good insight on Pay coaching style! Hopefully it pays off!!! ;)

Best of luck to you Beasty. Hearing about that kid with so many surgeries puts it in perspective for you. I spent the first 5 years in out of Hospital myself, so I have a bit of an idea. I just hope for the kid's sake he spends more time with his family than I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.