Will Hopoate World Cup Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
How does Dugan keep making rep teams? Hoppa is ok but just not flashy. I think he is a solid fb but better suited to wing or centre.
Got me. I've been to a lot of SOO games in the last few years and him and Fingerson are our weak links. I know Hayne polarises people but at least he tries things and he has the skills to back them up. The other 2 are just plonkers. I'd be just as happy with Hoppa in the backline as FB but we don't have anyone that is better than him to play there and he does the job pretty well. By way of example look at Holmes. Blitzes it on the wing but does little at FB. Hoppa may be much better in the centres but he does the job out the back that Holmes doesn't.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I really don't get the negativity around Hoppa. I agree he struggled in 2016 but he didn't train in the position and got tossed in there. This is his first full year as a FB with an off season to prepare and he was playing under Des. He showed in the last few games that he can play FB to a high level and while I haven't watched all his WC games the ones I saw were more than acceptable. Is he Billy Slater? No - but no-one is. He has a good pass, he links well with the backs, his defence is better than most FB's and he runs with purpose. He's better than Coote and most of the others and with hopefully better attacking structures next year I think he will be one of our best assets. If you don't have halves controlling things then your FB is not worth 2 bob. Now we have Foran and whoever along with Pay hopefully pushing them to be expansive Hoppa will do really well. I'd rather him than that plonker Dugan any day.
I think it’s because Hoppa is boring to watch. You know what you are going to get. Strong hit-ups, safety, no line/tackle breaks, no speed etc. People want to watch players that have the ability to create opportunities by themself, hope can’t do that.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I think it’s because Hoppa is boring to watch. You know what you are going to get. Strong hit-ups, safety, no line/tackle breaks, no speed etc. People want to watch players that have the ability to create opportunities by themself, hope can’t do that.
True, he isn't that lightning around the field but apart from Barba we haven't had that for over 10 years and realistically there aren't that many of those sort of players around. One will come along no doubt, but in the meantime we have a good FB in Hoppa. If you go back and look at the last few games I think you will see more of what he can do with the ball in his hands and time to do it. Honestly, Slater wouldn't get a linebreak in our side the way we played this year. If Hoppa isn't on fire by mid season then good go after someone else but at this stage I think we should be looking at a good half to go with Foran if we have money at some point.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Safe and did nothing special, showed he will be a very reliable and potent centre imo

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Would he have been resigned if it wasn't for Hasler. He's a no frills player, not really that suited to fullback. Hopefully he's not on ridiculous $'s.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Hoppa returned from Facial fractures last year which is extremely hard to do. His firm before that was great. He is a great link player in delivering those final passes. Stick him in the centres where he belongs. He'll be fine especially with Foran barking at him.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Not worth focusing on his world cup performance. Last year when he played International he absolutely dominated. Carried the team. Performance of his life time. The next week he was back to boring Hoppa for us.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Please Mr Pay do us all a favour and don't put Hopoate at fullback. Unless he is covering for injuries.
Pay has already said that Mbye will be getting a chance to prove himself at fullback

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Has he? I think we are interpreting what he is saying as that but I haven't read it from him yet.
Kind of. The report was that people close to Pay said that Pay has confirmed that Mbye will get first crack at fullback. So it's a bit of hearsay but the source is strong enough for every news source to print it without fear.

Stargate44

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
lets be honest here ,under "Sir Des" 1 to 17 have been average...
so lets hope since the "Sir Des" factor has gone

WE ACTUALLY CAN PLAY AND HAVE A FEKING GAME PLAN THAT INCLUDES KICKING IN THE OPPOSITION 25...
NOW FOR THE FEKING REST???? DON'T GET ME STARTED...
OVER TO YOU DEAN.................

Last edited:

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I actually think he is a fair ball playing 1.
3rd best fullback at world cup behind slater and widdop
I personally had Hopoate at around #8 in the pecking order at this years World Cup:
1 Slater
2 Widdop
3 RTS
4 Naiqama
5 Mead
6 Tedesco
7 Tonumaipae
8 Hopoate

He is safe and gives you an honest game. He's not going to break the line or outpace anyone, though, he is safe fielding kicks, his support play is good and he has the ability to ball play but doesn't execute that component of his game near enough.

Last edited:

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Kind of. The report was that people close to Pay said that Pay has confirmed that Mbye will get first crack at fullback. So it's a bit of hearsay but the source is strong enough for every news source to print it without fear.
Hopefully it's spot on. This club can't afford anymore part timers at fullback. We need to be ruthless and take some risks along the way if we want to win a comp anytime soon.

Widdop at fullback shows how important it is to have the full skill set, kick, pass and intelligence to read the game.

Kila R Ralai

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since Barba we have never had a game breaker fullback. We''ve just had safe fullbacks since then what a pity maybe a lot to do with Desball.

Status
Not open for further replies.