PAY KEEPS HALF IN KENNEL- Interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
His an unexperienced FB at NRL level, therefore his an unexperienced FB. AND playing FB at junior levels is completely different to the top level so I wouldn't be salivating over a kid who played FB for Noosa.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion and im not trying to convince you that you are wrong, but given Mbye has plenty of fb in his past, and that he has all the attributes required for a good fb with speed to burn, a bullet like pass, (did you see him break the backboard on freddies passoff??!!!) He is quick off the mark, a solid defender, and he can back up well and kick. What more does he need? Why would you think he couldnt be a fb? Hoppa had never ever played fb prior to des trying him out there, and if you want Mbye in the hakves you must be content with hoppa at the back. So whats wrong with moving Mbye there when he clearly ticks all the boxes and also ticks the boxes that hoppa does not, e.g kicking game, speed to burn, accelaration. It just doesnt make sense.
Also, cleeland has been the best 5/8 in ISP for two years and at two different clubs. If anyone deserves a shot he does!! His defense may be a risk, but frawley was aweful in defense, and im more then confident that Pay will instill a massive priority on our defense.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ive been on the Mbye to fullback ride for ages as well...i just dont see him having more impact in other places, has safe hands and is fast as lightning so why not give him a crack...Hopoate is bland at best at fb
Exactly. Mbye is not the controlling half we all hoped he would be. He needs a bit more space and time for him to utilise his skill set.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Why does everyone assume Moses will play fullback?

I’ve seen nothing other than one quote from Pay stating he will be running more.....

Killara DogStat

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Talk about Where we will be pkaying Mbye next year? Here is a thought. With the Rumour about RTS from NZ Warriors why do we not player swap them too. Money would be almost on parr. Spine would be
1. RTS
6. Foran
7. Cleeland
9. Lichaa

U guys might shoot me down saying mbye has potential was not allowed to show it under Des? Most agree he is not a half yet struggle yo fit him & he is on big money. This way we get a proven fullback finally since Barba!

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Cleeland still has a few question marks hanging over him but there’s no doubt he deserves a shot. He does have a tendency to go missing from time to time and he’s untested at NRL level. His running game is fantastic and exploits lazy defenders but there not as many of them in NRL compared to NSW Cup.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Talk about Where we will be pkaying Mbye next year? Here is a thought. With the Rumour about RTS from NZ Warriors why do we not player swap them too. Money would be almost on parr. Spine would be
1. RTS
6. Foran
7. Cleeland
9. Lichaa

U guys might shoot me down saying mbye has potential was not allowed to show it under Des? Most agree he is not a half yet struggle yo fit him & he is on big money. This way we get a proven fullback finally since Barba!
If the rts rumour had legs it wouldnt be until 2019 season anyway. Dont see the club putting themself in cap trouble again to get him for 2018. We probably dont even need him. The discussion is about next year.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
If the rts rumour had legs it wouldnt be until 2019 season anyway. Dont see the club putting themself in cap trouble again to get him for 2018. We probably dont even need him. The discussion is about next year.
If it was concrete RTS would come here in 2019 I would be pretty hesitant to play Mbye at fullback... as it would dirsupt his development even further, only place left for him would be centre if he didn't get moved on.
1. B.Morris (use his old wounded body for 1 more year, to be replaced by RTS in 2019)
2. Montoya
3. Hopoate
4. Mbye
5. J.Morris (replaced with Rona or Korobete in 2019

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think the highlights reel really shows it all. He is a classy player. Him and Foran will make an awesome combination.
Foran is an International 5/8 and probably deserves the 5/8 spot, but that puts Cleeland in as 1/2.
All considered, there is little difference between a 1/2 and a 5/8 these days. They just play opposite sides of the ruck.
Doing this gives Mbye a chance as a centre. Thats where we needed some speed.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Ofcourse it doesn't make sense, he doesn't know what he's talking about lol.
Dont you realise that Foran is an accomplished International 5/8. Cleeland is a kid on the way up. Big difference.
Cleeland will make it, but better to have Foran in his preferred position.

iDoggiesFan

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Dont you realise that Foran is an accomplished International 5/8. Cleeland is a kid on the way up. Big difference.
Cleeland is 27 so he's definitely no kid, but he's certainly earnt his chance at first grade. Play Jackson off his shoulder to be his hitman and have Foran playing as the controlling half.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
And that's absolutely bullshit. Foran has always been the controlling half when him and his halves partner have been at their best, the number on his back didn't matter.

Foran should and will be the halfback no matter the number on his back, it's pretty damn simple. Naming someone like Cleeland at halfback is just stupid, the blokes 27 and has only ever played as a 5/8 and is yet to make it.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Anyone remember a bloke called Ben Barba?

Started as a half and became a devastating fullback.

Moses cover defence is excellent, he's proven this before mowing down some of the fastest in the game. He doesn't have the bulk/weight of most big fullbacks and is untested under the high ball.

For me:
Mbye
Bmoz
Jmoz
Hoppa
Montoya
Cleeland
Foran
Then lichaa at 9 with Brown on bench.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wasn't brown ahead of Cleeland at the sharks? I trust flanno's judge of talent.

Tbh he'll likely have a go but won't make it big. Yes his highlights look good, but I doubt he can repeat it at nrl level.

Gubanaculum

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Cleeland still has a few question marks hanging over him but there’s no doubt he deserves a shot. He does have a tendency to go missing from time to time and he’s untested at NRL level. His running game is fantastic and exploits lazy defenders but there not as many of them in NRL compared to NSW Cup.
Yes cleeland drifts in and out that is how all isp teams play maybe thats why they are in isp???You dont win 5\8 of the year 3 years in a row without some talent.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ive been on the Mbye to fullback ride for ages as well...i just dont see him having more impact in other places, has safe hands and is fast as lightning so why not give him a crack...Hopoate is bland at best at fb
Mbye 20 errors in 23 games in 2017
20 in 25 games 2016
19 in 23 games 2015
10 in 9 games 2014

so 69 error in 80 games

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Mbye 20 errors in 23 games in 2017
20 in 25 games 2016
19 in 23 games 2015
10 in 9 games 2014

so 69 error in 80 games
In mbyes defence, halfs generally have more handling errors than most because of the amount of times they receive the ball, but see your point!

Cooper Cronk, the games premier 7 you could say has
90 games 61 errors ...... just saying

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Cleeland is good but went missing in the most important game of the season

Be happy for him to come along via bench

Brown has NRL credentials and deserves first crack especially coming off a World Cup campaign with Samoa

Serpent

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If nobody has given him this nickname yet, i christen him ''THE CLEELAND STEAMER'.

Its got a ring to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.