Bulldogs announce Dean Pay as new Bulldogs coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

well done

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Why would Grimaldi be gone? He is part of the "Bulldog culture"
Pay wants to bring in his people , reason dymock is staying is Dean has already got a good relationship with him
Grimaldi was part of the strength and conditioning crew who have been identified as being a big part of the problem

Dean has come from working with Ricky and Bellamy who don't believe in using ex players as strength and conditioning

The poor players won't know what has hit them this pre season lol

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Reading some of pays comments about mbyes best position saying hes fast and good in broken play i reckon hes moving him to fb

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Great news anyway, I think its going to work out, it already feels good so good vibes are good.

N

Natboy

We should be back at training around the first week of November. I’ll be interested what changes Pay makes straight away

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
We should be back at training around the first week of November. I’ll be interested what changes Pay makes straight away
Good thing is being an ex-doggie he would have watched our games and like the rest of us have a opinion on best positions for players.

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
just hope he doesn't abandon the Bulldogs AGAIN but this time as a coach and not a player signing with another club who offer him more money LOL .. he has good form for it!
If Pay can deliver a premiership and then decides to fuck off for more cash, so be it. I for one, can live with that!

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
http://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/2017/09/28/bulldogs_appoint_dea.html

View attachment 3964

The Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs today announced Dean Pay as the new Head Coach of the club for the next two seasons.

Pay, has a strong connection with the Bulldogs, having played 108 games for the club between 1989-1995, including being part of the 1995 Premiership winning side.

He also had a strong Representative career, playing for New South Wales in 12 State of Origin matches, in addition to 9 Test matches for Australia.

Pay's coaching background is just as impressive.

Having been Assistant Coach under Kevin Walters at the Catalans Dragons in 2009, he was then U20 Coach with the Storm, under Craig Bellamy between 2010-12, followed by Assistant Coaching roles at Parramatta (2013) and Canberra (2014-Present).

Pay's Representative coaching record with the New South Wales State of Origin Under 20's is exemplary, having won all 5 series that he coached in between 2012-16.

Bulldogs Chairman Ray Dib was delighted with the appointment: "We are extremely happy to have been able to secure the services of Dean Pay for the next two seasons. Dean, is a Bulldogs man through and through and someone who totally understands the history and tradition of the club. He was an outstanding player with the club and has carried that over into his coaching career, where he has worked under some excellent coaches, as well as showing that he can lead from the front with his superb record with the NSW Under 20's side. We want to bring back the Bulldogs culture of old and feel strongly that Dean is the man to do this."

Pay was excited at what lies ahead: "It's a tremendous honour to be offered the Head Coach's role at a club that I loved playing for. Having learnt under some great coaches I now believe that the time is right for me to step up into the Head Coach's role. The Bulldogs have a great history and tradition and I’m looking forward to the chance to work with a talented group of players, where respect and discipline will be the cornerstones of how we go about our business. The club has great foundations, facilities, staff and an incredible fan base. It is important that we work hard to make our supporters proud."
Welcome home Dino !
Remember...to succeed
You must entertain "the incredible fan base"
And "Bring back the Dogs of War"

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I reckon Dymock and Griz would welcome the appointment of Pay cause now they can coach and lead without having to work around Hasler's stats tactics.
Yeh although he missed the top job Jim doesnt lose. He does get a coach that isnt Des, that will probably give him more reign than Des did. Our last 2 premierships, spanning 22 years, were with ex bulldogs players at the helm. Dymock and Pay played in one of them. So they have been team mates before, so should know how each other operates. So we got the dog culture thing sorted, now to see if it works. No reason it wouldnt, Pay and Dymock have both had plenty exposure to coaching. They would both know the job. Excited to see how it goes.

Last edited:
N

Natboy

Good thing is being an ex-doggie he would have watched our games and like the rest of us have a opinion on best positions for players.
It sounds like it. I love how he said he wishes pre-season training was starting tomorrow

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
It sounds like it. I love how he said he wishes pre-season training was starting tomorrow
Absolutely! enthusiastic rookie coach wanting to prove himself, atleast we won't go down wondering and playing the odds.

HaceDog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
He almost did in all fairness... 98 got robbed.. 2002 got robbed.. 2003 pre-lim... won in 2004.. 2006 pre-lim.
Almost doesn't pay the bills. 2002 we weren't robbed, we were caught cheating. I don't care that other clubs were probably cheating as well. We were caught!
98 we were beaten by the better team and the other 2 are just pre-lims.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Almost doesn't pay the bills. 2002 we weren't robbed, we were caught cheating. I don't care that other clubs were probably cheating as well. We were caught!
98 we were beaten by the better team and the other 2 are just pre-lims.
It did actually. Winning games not just GFs ensures people buy into memberships, merchandise and attend games which means we paid the bills. ;)

But seriously If you look back at it now Folkes was a strong coach..

98 Should not have been in GF - 2nd
99, 00,01 Rebuilding period - Still very competitive and lost to some cracker teams in the semis.. made semis and top 4.
02 Dramas..
03 Bounced back but lost to the real cheats in the Pre-lim, nobody was beating Penrith that year anyway... 2nd.
04 WON! 1sttt
05 GF hangover year.. excused.
06 Lost to premiers in Pre-lim - 3rd

He did a pretty good job..

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How many more boxes to tick?
Still a few more i reckon...there are many boxes that need ticking right now and they appear to be happening so thats all good

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He's showed more respect in his first comment to the fans and club then Des did in 6 years!
Spot on!!...not once in 6 years did i recall Hasler saying anything positive about the club, the history, nothing.
He would refer to the team as 'this group of players' or similar but never anything like 'now i know why the fans are so passionate about this place or how deep the love of the place is'...he just never got into it, which i guess is understandable for a non Bulldog man. No matter how long we persisted with him was he ever going to 'be a bulldog', so glad this part of our history is finished!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.