Dean Pay mega thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
i agree what mason says about using klemmer correctly, you should keep this type of weapon very sharp for the time he is on the field

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know I'm a saint lol
But 2012 was enough to get me hooked!

I started watching just as dymock took over, it was exciting, Im pretty sure they shared a strong culture/bond between them , there was mateship between the players such as barba, idris and kasiano. They all looked involved and happy to play unlike the last 5 years where everything just looked strained and clunky.

And... The players actually acknowledged the fans back then!
Couldnt have said it any better well said.
The game that got you hooked on the dogs in 2011 vs parra was a ripper and was typical bulldog spirit, hodko 2 field goals that game was special too

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dean Pay has spoken for the first time of his desire to take over from Des Hasler at Canterbury, declaring "it's a club that's close to my heart".

Pay, currently an assistant to Ricky Stuart at Canberra, is considered the frontrunner for the vacant job. The former NSW and Australian forward spent five seasons at Belmore as a player, including as a member of the 1995 premiership-winning side.

The 48-year-old has completed a long apprenticeship as an assistant coach, including a stint under Craig Bellamy at Melbourne, and has overseen a successful period for the NSW under-20s in the State of Origin arena.

Pay, who has been interviewed for the head coaching role at Warrington, believes he is ready to take the step up as a head coach at his former club.

"I'd be interested in it for sure," Pay told Fairfax Media. "I've done a pretty big apprenticeship, if I'm not ready now I never will be.

"At the end of the day, if I go that way, that's fine. At the moment I haven't heard anything. I spent a lot of time there, at the end of the day it's a club that's close to my heart. If the opportunity comes up. I'd certainly have a discussion about it, that's for sure."

From the moment Steve Mortimer questioned whether Hasler understood the "DNA" at Belmore last October, there has been speculation over the position of the former Manly mentor. The Bulldogs rarely hire outsiders, with predecessors including Kevin Moore, Steve Folkes, Chris Anderson, Phil Gould, Warren Ryan, Ted Glossop, Malcolm Clift and Bob Hagan all playing for the club before coaching it. Pay fits the narrative, having made more than 100 appearances in the blue and white during a distinguished playing career.

Pay believes there is a culture that is unique at the Bulldogs.

"Canterbury is a special club," he said. "The people that have played there in the past really appreciate the club. It was all set up there right from the beginning with Bullfrog [Peter Moore] and Punchy [Barry] Nelson. It's a wonderful club and you never forget those times."

Hasler took the Bulldogs to two grand finals and five finals appearances at the helm, but his inability to break a premiership drought stretching back to 2004 proved costly.

Despite the cutthroat nature of the industry – Hasler joins Jason Taylor, Michael Maguire and Neil Henry as coaches to have been sacked this year – Pay wants to make the transition to the top job.

"That's the nature of it, it's a results-driven industry," Pay said.

"Des has done a fantastic job over his time there. I just think they're a big club, their fans and supporters look for the results. That's the nature of the beast.

"They've got the nucleus of a good team there, that's for sure. Obviously players move on and new ones come in at each club every year, they are no different there. But they've certainly got the nucleus of a good team."

Pay said his coaching philosophy was a straightforward one. "The main thing is you've got to build on hard work," he said.

"Players have got to buy into what you want to promote. You have to make sure they are really fit, they're conditioned really well. You have to make sure it's all built on hard work."

Pay has been touted as the man most likely to take over from Hasler, but others have also been linked to the role. Maguire and Manly's Trent Barrett are said to be in the mix, while assistant Jim Dymock has publicly stated his interest.

Pay said he hadn't heard from anyone at the Bulldogs.

"It's all media speculation. I haven't actually spoken to anyone at Canterbury," he said. "That's where it's at the moment."

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't even know who he is but couldn't be worse than des
Gee...educate yourself. Dean Pay was a great Bulldogs prop and captain.
Dean Pay first represented NSW U’16s while at school in Dubbo (a team-mate in that rep side was Junee's Laurie Daley). It took until 1993 until Pay secured a first grade position and the following year, he was called into NSW's State of Origin team before taking over as C’bury captain from the injured Terry Lamb. Pay had a great game at second row in the second match of the interstate series that year and following C’bury’s grand final loss to Canberra, he was chosen to tour with the 1994 Kangaroos. Selected as a reserve forward in Australia's First Test debacle at Wembley, Pay was one of the few Australian forwards who could hold their heads up after the 8-4 loss. It was not surprising then to see him in the starting line-up in the remaining Tests on tour. His spectacular try from Ricky Stuart's inside flick pass in the Third Test against Great Britain was a sign of his determination to succeed. Pay again captained the Bulldogs in Lamb's absence in the early part of the 1995 season but after first announcing that his future lay with the club's embracement of the Super League concept he reneged on the contract and signed with the ARL. Pay and three team-mates (Smith, Dymock and McCracken) were dropped by Bulldogs’ coach Chris Anderson but successfully proved their Super League contracts invalid in court. Pay represented NSW and Australia in 1995 before fighting his way back into C’bury’s top grade and help to spearhead the Bulldogs to a 17-4 win over Manly in the grand final. A member of Australia’s victorious World Cup team at the end of the year he joined ARL club P’matta in 1996. Pay’s form was down on his usual high standards and although he played for NSW during the next two seasons his only international match after the 1995 World Cup was against the ‘Rest of the World’ team in 1997. A frequent captain of the Eels, a succession of injuries saw him retire at the end of the 1999 season (despite being with the club for only four uneventful seasons he was later named in the Eels’ ‘Team of the Century’). In 2002 Pay answered the call from Ricky Stuart to act as a forwards coach with the Sydney Roosters and was appointed the club’s President’s Cup coach.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Gee...educate yourself. Dean Pay was a great Bulldogs prop and captain.
Dean Pay first represented NSW U’16s while at school in Dubbo (a team-mate in that rep side was Junee's Laurie Daley). It took until 1993 until Pay secured a first grade position and the following year, he was called into NSW's State of Origin team before taking over as C’bury captain from the injured Terry Lamb. Pay had a great game at second row in the second match of the interstate series that year and following C’bury’s grand final loss to Canberra, he was chosen to tour with the 1994 Kangaroos. Selected as a reserve forward in Australia's First Test debacle at Wembley, Pay was one of the few Australian forwards who could hold their heads up after the 8-4 loss. It was not surprising then to see him in the starting line-up in the remaining Tests on tour. His spectacular try from Ricky Stuart's inside flick pass in the Third Test against Great Britain was a sign of his determination to succeed. Pay again captained the Bulldogs in Lamb's absence in the early part of the 1995 season but after first announcing that his future lay with the club's embracement of the Super League concept he reneged on the contract and signed with the ARL. Pay and three team-mates (Smith, Dymock and McCracken) were dropped by Bulldogs’ coach Chris Anderson but successfully proved their Super League contracts invalid in court. Pay represented NSW and Australia in 1995 before fighting his way back into C’bury’s top grade and help to spearhead the Bulldogs to a 17-4 win over Manly in the grand final. A member of Australia’s victorious World Cup team at the end of the year he joined ARL club P’matta in 1996. Pay’s form was down on his usual high standards and although he played for NSW during the next two seasons his only international match after the 1995 World Cup was against the ‘Rest of the World’ team in 1997. A frequent captain of the Eels, a succession of injuries saw him retire at the end of the 1999 season (despite being with the club for only four uneventful seasons he was later named in the Eels’ ‘Team of the Century’). In 2002 Pay answered the call from Ricky Stuart to act as a forwards coach with the Sydney Roosters and was appointed the club’s President’s Cup coach.
That's very detailed and I appreciate the post.
I'm even more comfortable now knowing he's an ex bulldog player with the dogs of war mentality in him. .. Or was the 95 season the entertainers?
Either way the bloke couldn't be too bad as he was born in dubbo like moi

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Just to fix errors in the article. Warren Ryan played for St.George & Cronulla & Ted Glossop played for St.George. Neither played for Canterbury.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
That's very detailed and I appreciate the post.
I'm even more comfortable now knowing he's an ex bulldog player with the dogs of war mentality in him. .. Or was the 95 season the entertainers?
Either way the bloke couldn't be too bad as he was born in dubbo like moi
1995 was the backs to the wall mentality, having an underperforming season then responding to a 0-42 loss by winning 11 out of 13 including stgeorge, brisbane, canberra and manly in the finals which means we defeated the teams in sudden death finals that won a grand final in 89, 90, 92, 93, 94, 96, 97 and 98 or lost a grand final 5.5 times in that time

in other words you cant find any better finals run in world history

Klemhammer

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
After watching a talk show with Willie Mason and Reni, I'm all for Dean Pay or an ex bulldog to be coach, they talked about how the employees who have been there for 20-30 years who helped create the culture and training the u20s were let go due to des

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
After watching a talk show with Willie Mason and Reni, I'm all for Dean Pay or an ex bulldog to be coach, they talked about how the employees who have been there for 20-30 years who helped create the culture and training the u20s were let go due to des
They were so passionate about the club getting back to the dogs of war era! Those two should be asked to comeback in some capacity!

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
For mine I think pay deserves the NSW job. He has been u20s coach for a while. He deserves a shot at breaking the qld dominance.

Like I have said previously if dymock wants the job then it's his. A few people say he isn't interested which is fair enough. He can turn it down. But if he knocks on the bosses door (whoever that is) and says I want a crack then it should be his. Let's not forget pay hasn't had any association with the club since he walked out in us in 95..... him and dymock jumped ship together. Only difference is dymock came back in 04 or 05 and held various roles over the years. For mine he is a true bulldog through and through (despite his magpies and parra links) and he has shown that he can drop under performers.

If dymock doesn't want it then I'm all for looking for the best option (pay, Holbrook and even georgarlis would be short listed in my books). But for mine dymock would be be ideal in this period.

Pay would be better with the media. But I'm sure dymock will be respected by the players.

If pay comes he has to bring sezar and cotric :p lol then I'll be happy with him as head coach :p

Klemhammer

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
They were so passionate about the club getting back to the dogs of war era! Those two should be asked to comeback in some capacity!
Had goosebumps listening to it! They should be employed to help bring the culture back.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had goosebumps listening to it! They should be employed to help bring the culture back.
They kept mentioning Gary Cartin (I think), I couldn't make out the surname! Sounds like the players owe him a lot for their fitness, ability and overall persona! Said he got them so fit when they got to Steve folkes they were ready to play first grade!

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Keep the druggies away from the joint. They had their chance and crapped on us.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Love how he says his coaching philosoohy is built on hard work. Fitness is paramount also. Bring back the dogs of war. The dogs that can be 18-2 down with 10 mins to go and still snatch victory.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
BULLDOGS COACHING CONTENDER DEAN PAY KEEN TO REPLACE DES HASLER AT CANTERBURY
CHRISTIAN NICOLUSSI, The Daily Telegraph
September 20, 2017 7:45pm
Subscriber only
DEAN Pay would love to “come home’’ and become the new head coach of Canterbury.
Pay, who played more than 100 first grade games at Belmore in the early ’90s, has emerged as a frontrunner alongside axed South Sydney boss Michael Maguire to take over from sacked coach Des Hasler.
While Pay, 48, has not had any direct contact with the Bulldogs, he said from Canberra he was ready to take the top job after serving a lengthy apprenticeship under Raiders coach Ricky Stuart.
CONTRACT: Des deal could cost Dogs
FAMILY: Dogs pack turn on their own
Dean Pay admits he would jump at the chance for coach the Bulldogs. Photo: Kym Smith
Stuart, who finished his playing career at the Bulldogs, threw his support behind Pay, declaring: “He’s ready, and he’ll never be more ready.’’
Pay has also been interviewed for the vacant Warrington position.
And while he would not hesitate to move to England if given the opportunity, he said the Bulldogs were “always in my heart’’.
“Yes, I’d certainly be interested,’’ Pay said when asked about the Bulldogs vacancy.
“I spent a long time there during my playing career and I’ve always had a soft spot for them. They’ll always be in my heart.
“The chance to go back there and be a head coach really appeals to me. It would be like coming home.
“The passion you have for the club as a player would certainly come through as a coach, if not more.’’
Pay has history with the clubs to keep the old Dogs happy.
Hasler made the finals five times, including two grand finals, during his six years at Canterbury. But club greats Steve Mortimer and Terry Lamb maintained Hasler never understood the club’s culture.
They were concerned that under the former Manly great Canterbury were losing their DNA.
Fearless forward and fan favourite Pay has no NRL head coach experience. But he and current Bulldogs assistant Jim Dymock would be a perfect fit for the Bulldogs.
Pay received nearly 50 per cent of the vote in a Daily Telegraph online poll on who should be the next Bulldogs coach.
“As a kid, you had blokes like David Gillespie and Steve Folkes, and those older guys drove the culture, and you’d just fall into line,’’ Pay said.
“That’s how the club was in those days. Those lessons learned still play a big part in my life now.
“Working hard, respecting people, they are the life skills learned at Canterbury.
“They have certainly got a nucleus for a good team. You’ve got Aaron Woods coming in, and Kieran Foran. They’re both internationals.
“Then some of the young guys like Marcelo Montoya and young (Danny) Fualalo, so there’s a lot of upside, for sure.’’
LCTV: Roosters v Cowboys Preview
Stuart said Pay would go with his blessing if the Dogs came barking.
“I’m happy there are a few opportunities for Dean with the Warrington job and now with his name being tossed up for Canterbury,’’ Stuart said.
“He’s ready. He’s got a really good knowledge of the game defensively and in attack.
“He’s a very driven and competitive person. I love working with him, and he’s a loyal, honest guy who doesn’t pull any punches.
“And you know where you stand with Deano. If he doesn’t go, I’ll be the winner because I know how good he is at his job here.’’
Stuart said there were benefits of returning to a former club to take the reins as coach, just as he has done with Canberra.

COMMENTS
Show Comments
MORE STORIES

Status
Not open for further replies.