How bad is the Bulldogs salary cap crisis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AucklandDog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
So just how bad is the Bulldogs’ salary cap crisis?

Here’s an example - talented halfback Moses Mbye.

Well spoken and a handy player, Mbye isn’t in the top half dozen halfbacks in the NRL.

Yet next season, he will be on $700,000, plus a third party deal, plus 20 per cent of the salary cap increase - giving him a grand total of around $900,000.

The youngster simply isn’t worth that money and it’s little wonder the Bulldogs are trying to move him on.

But no club will pay anything near that amount for Mbye, leaving the Bulldogs in a pickle.

Kiwipup

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If history has taught us anything, it's that anything and everything is possible at this club under the provenance of Hasler and guidance of Dib and co.

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
How the fuk does anyone know what is in mbyes contract ffs 20% of salary cap increase goes to him wat utter bs
Yep, we have another accountant as a participant on this Forum, there is a new expert in this field nearly every second day FFS.

Downtowndog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

Well spoken and a handy player, Mbye isn’t in the top half dozen halfbacks in the NRL.

Yet next season, he will be on $700,000, plus a third party deal, plus 20 per cent of the salary cap increase - giving him a grand total of around $900,000.

The youngster simply isn’t worth that money and it’s little wonder the Bulldogs are trying to move him on.

But no club will pay anything near that amount for Mbye, leaving the Bulldogs in a pickle.
I saw this article on twitter earlier on this morning.

As someone else mentioned, anything is possible at the Dogs

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Des should have done better with player signings, but as for Dib and the board they have contributed by making many panic decisions as a result of agreeing with Des.
Sacking Des is a must, but I'M not sure that sacking the whole board will fix the real problem which goes outside our clubs parameters.
Unfortunately many humans are to week to face the truth, hence we bury our head in the sand when we see the hunter (or enemy in this case).
Perhaps a strong person from within our club can rise up and say things as they are and not be afraid of been negative, and hopefully all genuine fans will understand and still support our club through thick and thin.
The next AGM should tell us a lot about our club and the future direction.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have no idea how bad the salary issue is but I do know that given the roster having to release any players to get under the cap (its gone up by about 2 million) shows gross mismanagement. Many of the players have hit the jackpot financially and if they choose to move on good luck to them - I wouldn't be feeling any sympathy that they do not to stay with their "mates" and "the club that they love"- they still get to play the game they love and get very well paid to do it.
If the management can work their way through the cap issues and end up with a stronger roster playing better, attractive more competitive footy everyones a winner. Just having a more balanced pack, a reasonable kicking game and haves playing direct would make a huge difference.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I have no idea how bad the salary issue is but I do know that given the roster having to release any players to get under the cap (its gone up by about 2 million) shows gross mismanagement. Many of the players have hit the jackpot financially and if they choose to move on good luck to them - I wouldn't be feeling any sympathy that they do not to stay with their "mates" and "the club that they love"- they still get to play the game they love and get very well paid to do it.
If the management can work their way through the cap issues and end up with a stronger roster playing better, attractive more competitive footy everyones a winner. Just having a more balanced pack, a reasonable kicking game and haves playing direct would make a huge difference.
Actually, something you say there resonates with how we got into whatever the trouble is with the salary cap. When Grant made his grand statement last year it would've been around the time we re-signed or at least were re-negotiating with a few of our existing players so on the assumption it was going up to $10m they thought they had plenty of wiggle room to re-sign them and still get a couple of new guns on board. Even when they signed Foran/Woods it was still open for negotiation and Dib/Castle were clearly of the belief that the push by the clubs would get them up to around the $10m so they gambled with Foran/Woods. Unfortunately it came up $600k short so now they have to offload a few to get back on track. So while ultimately it is our fault we are in a bit of a bind the timing of Grants statement obviously had a fair bit to do with us re-signing some blokes to higher contracts than we might otherwise have done.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Whats the sauce used for this inside info.. BBQ or Tomato

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If we are under the Cap next year and end up with Cronk i'll be amazed lol.
Might have Cronk, Woods and Foran. Then the under 20's for fill ins

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I bet it's bad but not half as bad as what the media are making it out to be.

The media said we were working toward a 10 mil cap. The cap gets set at 9.4 or 6 and then Hooper says the other night we are at 10.5 now lol. In other words they don't exactly know.

I'm sure they would have an idea but yhe way they report it like it is fact.is annoying as fuck. Example, Hoppa signed the first time with us and the media had him at 450k. too69u debunks the bullshit straight away and a few months later the media say he is 150.

Lastly FUCK the media. Oh and bye bye Des.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing is for sure come the end of next year we will have a shit load of cap space, say around $2m+? so I'd expect some big signings.

Status
Not open for further replies.