Gold Coast Titans mess opens window for Canterbury to sack Des Hasler

Status
Not open for further replies.

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...rbury-to-sack-des-hasler-20170814-gxw9hs.html

It appears almost a fait accompli that Des Hasler will be tapped on the shoulder after the Bulldogs' end-of-season review.

So if Canterbury are going to sack Hasler, which looks increasingly more likely to happen this off-season than at the end of 2019, why not do it now?

Do it for themselves, for the players, for the fans. Do it for Des. Do it for the Titans.

The Bulldogs owe it to Hasler to let him go now, while there is an opportunity for him to walk into a head coaching role that is expected to become available at the Titans, rather than sitting on the sidelines for 12 months counting his six-figure pay out.

The Bulldogs owe it to Dean Pay, Jim Dymock – or whoever they throw into the hot seat next season – to oversee the roster overhaul and be accountable for the tough decisions that need to be made over the next few months to rebuild the proud club.

And they owe it to their fans to give them something to look forward to after the train wreck that has been the 2017 season.

The events that have unfolded at the Bulldogs over the past 12 months have taken the gloss off what has been one of the most successful coaching careers in rugby league history. With each loss there's another chink in what was a once impeccable reputation.
League HQ Newsletter

Get the latest news and updates emailed straight to your inbox.

By submitting your email you are agreeing to Fairfax Media's terms and conditions and privacy policy .

It's clear Hasler's time at the Bulldogs is up. It doesn't mean he has lost his "aura" or "the dressing room", or whatever coaching cliche you can come up with. It's simply just not working anymore.

The nature of the salary cap means most clubs get a small window to taste success. That window, which yielded two grand final losses, is now slammed shut at Canterbury.

The Bulldogs need something new and by the looks of a disheartened Hasler the past few weeks, it's time the wily coach moved on to greener – or perhaps more golden – pastures.

If the events north of the border transpire in the manner they are expected to over the next week, Neil Henry will be gone and the Titans will be looking for a coach to instil a hard edge at a club that has long lacked the mental toughness to be a force in the NRL.

Enter Hasler. For a cash-stricken club such as the Titans, Hasler's $1 million price tag is one they usually would never contemplate.

Henry's deal is worth less than half that. But given Hasler will walk away from Canterbury with another million in his pocket as part of a termination clause in the contract extension he signed a few months ago, the Titans might not need to break the bank to lure him to the sunshine state. Especially if it is his only option.

When it comes to modern-day coaches, there's Wayne Bennett, there's Craig Bellamy, there's Hasler, then there's daylight.

As they say, you don't lose your ability to coach overnight, but a whole range of factors have contributed to the demise of Hasler at Belmore.

But there's no doubting his ability as a man-manager. He had some larger than life characters during his time at Manly, but managed to get them singing from the same hymn sheet to win two premierships.

He did a similar job with Ben Barba before his career began to spiral out of control. So if there's a coach out there who can get the best out of Jarryd Hayne, permitting he survives the axe at the Titans of course, it's Hasler.

Would he want to coach the Titans? Who knows.

Perhaps the Warriors would be a more attractive offer and given some of the whispers coming from across the ditch in relation to a potential new owner, there could be some major change afoot.

Hasler is too good a coach to be sitting a season on the sideline, so if there's an opportunity about to open at the Titans, the Bulldogs, in looking after their own best interests, should afford Hasler the right to decide whether he wants to throw his hat into the ring.

Do it for Des. Do it for themselves.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
When it comes to modern-day coaches, there's Wayne Bennett, there's Craig Bellamy, there's Hasler, then there's daylight.

As they say, you don't lose your ability to coach overnight, but a whole range of factors have contributed to the demise of Hasler at Belmore.

But there's no doubting his ability as a man-manager. He had some larger than life characters during his time at Manly, but managed to get them singing from the same hymn sheet to win two premierships.

He did a similar job with Ben Barba before his career began to spiral out of control. So if there's a coach out there who can get the best out of Jarryd Hayne, permitting he survives the axe at the Titans of course, it's Hasler.

=======================================================================================================

buhhahahahhahahhahhaha

buahahahhahahahhahahhahaha

buahahahhahahahhahhhhaahahahhaha

this is funniest fucken thing i have ever read!

imagine Fraud Des and Hero Hayne in the same team

you dont wish that on your worst enemy. fkn lol

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Neil Henry is not the answer.. he hasnt achieved anything of note as a coach

Our coaching situation should have nothing to do with whats going on at the Titans

BDPScarface

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Article is dumb as fuck. By all accounts at very least if we wait until the end of the year there is a reduced payout. And secondly there's fuck all reason to help anyone but ourselves. If Des wants to leave he can negotiate out a reduced payout. Otherwise we can block him from joining anyone else if we are still paying him for the 2 years left. Anyway... It's all moot. For all it's failings the club wouldn't be dumb enough to waste money in this manner

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is one thing about the media. They always want to create a headline before the event has occurred so that they can say you read it hear first. I won't be surprised if Des is gone within the next fortnight.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I love the Titans and they are a club on the rise.. so please do not go there. It's enough you fucked our Bulldogs, i dont want him to come up here and ruin the future of guys like Ashley Taylor.

Anwyay who am i kidding, Titans would never sign you, you furking fraud...

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
no one wants Bulldogs players

but

every one wants bulldogs coach

FMD!

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Another bullshit article but it was bound to come.

Bulldogs should request a commission on each click/paper they sell now.

a) Titans can't afford a million+ dollar a year coach. Henry was on a reported $420k.
b) Hasler won't move his family out of Sydney, and out of his beachfront home at Collaroy.
c) Who'd want to coach in a club where the players are dictating the coaches position.

I'd say Kevin Walters, Walker Brothers, or another Q Cup coach will take over the Titans job.

I still don't believe Hasler will be gone next season. Club will give him next season with Foran and Woods, and with the new CEO in place. If Hasler fails to fire next year, it'll be the new CEO sacking him, thus saving Dibs face, and their position on that board.

Anyone expecting anything different I reckon will be sadly upset.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Question....has Des been told he's not at the club next season?

I read in the rumors section that he was told so last board meeting. That he had to come back with a figure for the board to sign off on.

If that is true, I agree why wait any longer???

I don't know if Des would want to go on coaching or not, but if he does making it all official sooner rather than later would be good for all concerned!!

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dib has shit for brains. That is why Des was resigned, that is why we are over the salary cap, that is why Des is still at the dogs, that is why we are the worst team in the comp at the moment...The head of the snake is Dib....Until the board is up for re-election next year this Snake will still be slithering around Belmore. Dib Dib dog shit we all trod in it. FU DIB

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The Bulldogs owe nothing to Hasler... we are only indebted to Bullfrog and past players who made the jersey what it is.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
"The Bulldogs owe it to Des Hasler"
Fuck him. Let him rot till the end of the season.

XR6T

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

I read in the rumors section that he was told so last board meeting. That he had to come back with a figure for the board to sign off on.

I don't know if Des would want to go on coaching or not, but if he does making it all official sooner rather than later would be good for all concerned!!
The **** is the biggest tightarse on the planet.
If the Bulldogs told him to go and have a think about his figure and his contract was for $1million per season, he would come back and ask for $999,999,99.
Board would say that he wasn't doing any work to earn that money, he would say..."Hmmmm...(nose whistle)....fair enough, make it $999,999,95."
FUCKING FRAUD!!

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
There has been some shite articles lately but that one is "itself and daylight". Fuk Des Hasler and fuk doing it for him! He has destroyed what I use to love so once again fuk him!

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
It's honestly hard to say (or figure truth from fiction at the moment).

EXAMPLE:
Claim #1: Media had Des getting sacked late last year in emergency board meeting.
REALITY: Board meeting was always planned, Des invited to board meeting to present end of year summary, Castle hauled over the coals for blowing Leagues club budget to pieces by over a million (showing clearly she can't manage budgets well).
Raerae fronts media looking like a scared puppy.

Claim #2: Board meeting called and Des to be sacked.
REALITY: Raelene Castle "resigns" after meeting.

Claim #3: Emergency board meeting to discuss Haslers future at the club.
REALITY: Board meeting was always planned. Hasler renewed.

It's entirely possible that this who situation is one that Dib and the board are trying to rectify after discovering the mess made (and why Castle "resigned").

Think about it... Dib's been around far longer than Castle. Prior to Castle being involved with the club you heard very little from the board, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.