Bulldogs Fullback fan poll

Who is the best fullback in our clubs history?

• Les Johns

Votes: 23 32.4%
  • Mick Potter

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • The Welsh Wizard (J.Davies)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rocket Rod Silva

Votes: 10 14.1%
  • The General (L.Patten)

Votes: 26 36.6%
  • Ben Barba

Votes: 6 8.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Interested in seeing the results of this poll in light of our fullback options over the years and who is most admired, valued and why.

For me, hard to pick between Mick Potter and the General mainly due to having the luxury of seeing them both in action, I'm sure Les Johns was an absolute gun!

I did enjoy Jonathan Davies stint with us, he had a wicked step and some really good pace whilst Rod Silva was timeless and also possessed a heck of a step, without fail beating the first man...

Thoughts? May have missed a couple too in the poll so interested to see if others should represent.

Gutty

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I'm going with "Rocket" Silva........not because I think he is the best we've had, but I reckon he was the best to watch......we sure could do with someone like him now........Barba wasn't bad at one stage either

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Its obvious that the type of game played in the 1960s is completely different from what is served up now but I still can't go past Les Johns as the Bulldogs best fullback.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'm going with "Rocket" Silva........not because I think he is the best we've had, but I reckon he was the best to watch......we sure could do with someone like him now........Barba wasn't bad at one stage either
Rocket was great to watch, you would almost always expect something to happen when he had ball in hand! Underrated by many outside of our fan base but he was a brilliant fullback.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Its obvious that the type of game played in the 1960s is completely different from what is served up now but I still can't go past Les Johns as the Bulldogs best fullback.
Would have been great to have seen him in his prime. He's a legend of the game in general so that speaks volumes.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Les Johns was before my time but he played many times for NSW and Australia and was one of the games best fullbacks. He was rated 48 of the 100 greatest players the of the century (1907-2008).

Last edited:

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Les Johns was before my time but he played many times for NSW and Australia and was one of the games best fullbacks. He was rated 48 of the 100 greatest players the of the century (1907-2008).
Huge honour and recognition for one of our own.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Impossible to say due to the game evolving with the respective eras they played in.

In their hey day all brilliant, but would say for example Les Johns dominate the game as well in 2000 as he did in his era (if he was the same age).

Even El Masri have some impressive stats in 18 games at fullback.
18 games, 6 tries.

berries67

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Greg Brentall from the entertainers era played in the successful 1980s Grandfinal team. Gary Dowling from the early seventies played in the losing granfinal in 1974,. Both represented at state and national levels. Both possibly could be added to list.

Last edited:

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd say Les Johns or Greg Brentnall, both played for Australia. GB had a kicking game 2nd to none as he was also an Aussie Rules gun.

In saying that loved watching Rod Silva and the General play, they were outstanding for us.

Reactions: DT

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Wish I could give half a vote each to Silva and Patten. Patten was super reliable defensively and no slouch in attack. I always thought he was unlucky not to have played a big role in origin. I briefly meet him when he was in the country origin side at an Armidale training camp along with mason and bobcat. He was nice enough but I didn't really get much of a conversation in with him. Mason saw bulldogs jerseys and came over to lap up the limelight.

Silva was an excitement machine who could drift across the field very casually before exploding through the line at pace.

I had the chance to meet Rocket Rod after he played in the legends of league match last year. He still loves the dogs and is an absolute gentleman. I had a good ten minute chat with him. So for that reason my vote goes to him.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'd say Les Johns or Greg Brentnall, both played for Australia. GB had a kicking game 2nd to none as he was also an Aussie Rules gun.

In saying that loved watching Rod Silva and the General play, they were outstanding for us.
Was not aware GB played Aussie rules, appreciate the info.

Agree on Rocket and General, awesome to watch!

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There have been many that i have seen...Johns was before my time, Brentnall was my fav as a kid, great left foot boot,Silva was awesome, Gary Dowling was a gun, Patten was rock solid after his first year, Barba was sensational in 2012 despite him being a shit person off the field...we had been blessed with outstanding fullbacks prior to the current joke squad we have had over the past 5 years...

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Rockin rod for me... purely based on xfactor plus premiership winner.. if we won in 2012 barba would have gone close... but now he's just a maggot..

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Voted silva here simply because i never saw Les play, the fact les was voted in the all time top 100 players of all time says a lot though.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Due to age I only remember Patten and Barba so I can't really make a judgement on this. However surely out of all of them Barba had the greatest single season (2012)?.

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The general under extreme pressure never the let the team down. Rocket Rob sliding through the opposition off a short ball from Darren Britt are memories that stand out. Barba In that Dally M year was brilliant too.

Status
Not open for further replies.